Friday, January 26, 2018

President Trump attempted to fire special counsel Robert Mueller last summer but was stopped after White House counsel Don McGahn threatened to resign, according to a new report. Trump reportedly said Mueller had conflicts of interest in his investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election, including a dispute over fees at Trump's National Golf Club in Virginia and Mueller's previous employment at a law firm that represent Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner, according to the Times.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

McGahn reportedly refused the president's order and threatened to quit, believing that Trump's order would further stir speculation that the president was obstructing justice in the Russia investigation.

Another option considered by the president involved removing deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, the Justice Department's second-highest official, and appointing Associate Attorney General Rachel Brand to oversee Mueller's team of prosecutors. This option also never materialized.

According to The Times, Trump's lawyer Ty Cobb and others in the White House have for months attempted to calm Trump on matters involving Mueller, by insisting the investigation is almost over.

Comments

From the article:

"The West Wing confrontation marks the first time Mr. Trump is known to have tried to fire the special counsel. Mr. Mueller learned about the episode in recent months as his investigators interviewed current and former senior White House officials in his inquiry into whether the president obstructed justice."

The first time?

#1 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-25 09:15 PM | Reply

LOL:

Tea Pain‏ @TeaPainUSA

BOOM! BANG! POW! Trump would LOVE to talk to Mueller, but he'd LOVE to fire him more!

#2 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-25 09:21 PM | Reply

Donald the Russian.

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-25 09:24 PM | Reply

CNN is going ape ---- over this.

Trump supporters interviewed on the network kept saying, "But he didn't do It! So it don't matter!"

It does matter. 4 sources leaked this info to NYT. If four people knew, many others knew, which most likely means Mueller already knows. Intent. Intent. Intent.

I still think abuse of power is more probable of meeting threshold towards culpability. Obstruction of justice is a tough one to prove.

Although, I suppose, if there's anyone we should expect to fall into the most difficult charge to prove, it's gonna be Senior Gordo Presidente Trump.

#4 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-01-25 10:33 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

From WaPo article on this story:

Trump's ire at Mueller rose to such a level that then-White House strategist Stephen K. Bannon and then-Chief of Staff Reince Priebus grew "incredibly concerned" that he was going to fire Mueller and sought to enlist others to intervene with the president, according to a Trump adviser who requested anonymity to describe private conversations.

Both of the men were deeply worried about the possibility and discussed how to keep him from making such a move, this person said.

www.washingtonpost.com

Important to note that McGahn, Priebus and Bannon all have the same lawyer.

#5 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-25 11:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Friends have start asking what possessed me to start going to the gym twice a day the week after Trump was selected.

My God, if trump had actually fire Mueller I would have gotten one last chance to enjoy a day with the boys before the world was ripped out from underneath us.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-26 12:36 AM | Reply

For those of you who can't see through the haze, it has been evident that McGahn turned on Trump quite a while back. McGhan's primary responsibility is to the White and office of the President, not the actual President. That's where Trump's lawyer, Ty Cobb, comes in. Cobb has accused McGahn of having a spy in the White House and hiding documents from Trump's legal team. McGahn is also believed to have repeatedly lied to Trump about the expected duration of the investigation. He also didn't fire Uttam Dhillon after he misled Trump to believe he could not fire Comey.

#7 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-01-26 01:13 AM | Reply

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-26 01:31 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-26 09:02 AM | Reply

Trump outright lied again and his lackeys and fanbois lapped it up. And in other news... - #9 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-26 09:02 AM
You need to be a bit more specific. Which lie are you talking about?

#10 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-01-26 09:17 AM | Reply

"Which lie are you talking about?"

#11 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-26 09:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

This leak is a trial balloon. They are testing the waters with Republican house members to see if he can get away with this without facing an impeachment majority.

#12 | Posted by leadbelly at 2018-01-26 09:54 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump knows he will nevr be impeached by Republicans but he can't know if he will face impeachment after the November elections if the Democrats gain a majority in the House and Senate. Unlikely, he's pretty safe. I hate to say it but he is.

#13 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-26 10:02 AM | Reply

You need to be a bit more specific. Which lie are you talking about?

This is one of the great challenges of our time. He lies so often it's like he uses a bump stock.

#14 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-26 10:04 AM | Reply | Funny: 4

When the Republicans passed big tax cuts they insured the Presidency of Donald Trump. He gave the donors what they really wanted, nothing else really matters. The rest of the issues, like immigration, etc. are really just a show for the little people who vote based on racism, religion, etc. None of it really matters to those who are in charge. Tax cuts matter, the rest is just useful to appease their hateful base.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-26 10:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I love that Hannity called it a huge lie from the liberal MSM during his show....and then Fox confirmed it as true during his show. So he ignored it.

No wonder Republican voters are idiots.

#16 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-26 10:20 AM | Reply

April Ryan's Previous Claim That White House Freaked Out Over Mueller Firing Corroborates NYT Bombshell

White House correspondent April Ryan told CNN on the night of June 12, 2017, that the White House was in "mass hysteria" with staffers fearing President Donald Trump was about to fire special counsel Robert Mueller.

"One of my sources reached out to me right before we went on air and they said there's mass hysteria in the West Wing about this," Ryan explained. "We don't know if it's going to happen or if it won't happen, but what we do know: if indeed the president does fire Mueller, it shows that he's impeding the process again."

"There's a lot of smoke and there's a lot of alarm bells going off," Ryan continued. "The question is, where's the fire."

www.alternet.org

#17 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-26 10:21 AM | Reply

The video of Hannity doing that is hilarious.

"There's no proof. ... OK, there's proof. WATCH THIS CAR CRASH!"

twitter.com

#18 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-26 10:39 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

So, you acknowledge that he is a liar, but you just want to know which specific lie Galaxiepete is referring to. - #11 | Posted by Danni at 2018-01-26 09:36 AM

Correct. It seems obvious enough for even the average reader to figure it out.

#19 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-01-26 10:40 AM | Reply

The video of Hannity doing that is hilarious.
"There's no proof. ... OK, there's proof. WATCH THIS CAR CRASH!"
twitter.com

#18 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2018-01-26 10:39 AM | FLAG:

www.youtube.com

#20 | Posted by leadbelly at 2018-01-26 10:45 AM | Reply

I tried to watch Hanity a long time ago, I simply could not listen to obvious lies and had to turn it off. Hannity is perhaps, the most disgusting human being on television. Yes there are some megachurch liars but even they don't measure up to the level of disgusting that he manages to do. I honestly wonder about the intelligence and the sanity of his viewers.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-26 10:46 AM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

No you didnt, Jeff. That is a lie.

Actually, 2 lies in 1 statement.

How Trumpublican of you.

#22 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-26 11:04 AM | Reply

"I thought Ty Cobb was a long-ago deceased Hall of Fame baseball player and left-wing icon."

Left-wing icon? Actually, he was accused of being a racist and a violent individual.

#23 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-26 11:08 AM | Reply

Jeff, you got 2 with your troll bait. Nice.....

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-26 11:17 AM | Reply

Ok so he threatened to fire Mueller. Is anyone really surprised? Trump threatens to fire everyone. It's his signature thing.

We need to stop letting deflections like this make us take our eye off the ball or we will never get it to the end zone.

Feb 8th is one day closer and Nothing has been accomplished yet.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-26 11:22 AM | Reply

Hannity has to wait until tomorrow to talk about the Mueller story, so his cronies in the WH can give him his talking points.

Remember the Narcissist's Prayer:

That didn't happen.
And if it did, it wasn't that bad.
And if it was, that's not a big deal.
And if it is, it is not my fault.
And if it was, I didn't mean it.
And if I did.
You deserved it.

In this case the "you" is Mueller and his investigation. The president is "just fighting back" against the SC's work because it amounts to what representaives like Matt Gaetz are calling "a cesspool of corrupiton".

#26 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-26 11:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Eberle,

Lying liars and the admirers of lying liars are ocassionally amusing, and yet we are discussing a serious subject.

Your support for 'lies of sport' is noted, Ebs.

Think nothing of your credibility. No one else does either.

Speaking of liars, how many in the Trump Administration have lied that Trump never discussed or considered firing Mueller? We can start with Spicer, Ms. Kelly, and a boatload of FOX commentators, Captain Hannity, being the loudest.

#27 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-26 11:39 AM | Reply

"Your support for 'lies of sport' is noted, Ebs."

You can just take your mouth off the hook, drama queen.

You're too stupid to recognize 100% satire when you see it.

don't blame that on me. Just take your mouth off the hook and go join marysilencedogoodwhore in the corner.

#28 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-26 11:42 AM | Reply

Ebsies,
And you just can't resist deflections. So much easier than dealing with threads on their own merit.

Like I said, think nothing of your credibility, no one else does.

Leave the satire to The Onion. You have no game for that.

#29 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-26 12:03 PM | Reply

"Leave the satire to The Onion."

as if you could tell the difference. You're probably banned from that site as you think it's all true.

And I don't write satire much.....but if gullible idiots like yourself want to be hooked by it.....I might start up with it.

#30 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-26 12:06 PM | Reply

Where's a squirrel when you need one?

#31 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-01-26 12:11 PM | Reply

"Leave the satire to The Onion." - #29 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-26 12:03 PM

I Don't Vaccinate My Child Because It's My Right To Decide What Eliminated Diseases Come Roaring Back

As a mother, I put my parenting decisions above all else. Nobody knows my son better than me, and the choices I make about how to care for him are no one's business but my own. So, when other people tell me how they think I should be raising my child, I simply can't tolerate it. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, I fully stand behind my choices as a mom, including my choice not to vaccinate my son, because it is my fundamental right as a parent to decide which eradicated diseases come roaring back.

The decision to cause a full-blown, multi-state pandemic of a virus that was effectively eliminated from the national population generations ago is my choice alone, and regardless of your personal convictions, that right should never be taken away from a child's parent. Never.

And...
Vaccinations Made My Cat Autistic

[snip]

The realization came shortly after my cat's vaccinations last year – for rabies and feline distemper. My veterinarian insisted that vaccination was "required by law" and that it was "extremely important to the health of my cat" and that without vaccination my cat could "get really sick and die," but I should have known better. I soon learned from holistic reading materials that vaccination = autism.

Love satire!

#32 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-26 12:11 PM | Reply

Eberle, you are so easy to troll.

#33 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-26 12:21 PM | Reply

www.youtube.com
#20 | Posted by leadbelly

That Ron Burgandy link is great! Nearly as funny as Hannity.

#34 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-01-26 12:22 PM | Reply

‘Fox & Friends' Gives Laughable Defense of Trump on Mueller: ‘Do You Even Care?'

Like Hannity, ‘Fox & Friends' almost entirely ignored the reporting of their own colleague Ed Henry that confirmed the NY Times story that Trump tried to fire the special counsel.

"But the president, in Davos, he doesn't think the story was all that true, maybe calling it fake," co-host Pete Hegseth added, before cutting a clip of Trump yelling "fake news" at reporters who asked him about in Switzerland.

Agreeing with the president, Hegseth called the report a "typical New York Times" story given that "all of this reporting is based on four people who are told of the matter." He added, "It also screams of a leak from the special counsel" and suggested that details in the story "may or not be true."

"All right, well, the president says it's fake news," Ainsley Earhardt jumped in, trying desperately to move on to their next topic. "That happened last June. Do you -- it's something we have to tell you have about because it is a headline on The New York Times. What do you think about that? Do you even care?"

www.thedailybeast.com

#35 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-26 12:41 PM | Reply

"Do you even care?"

Answer: No. Trump called it months ago: "I could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and I wouldn't lose voters." Basically, those are the same kinds of people wants working for him in the DOJ and FBI as well.

#36 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-26 12:45 PM | Reply

Eberle, you are so easy to troll.
#33 | POSTED BY OLDWHISKEYSOUR AT 2018-01-26 12:21 PM | FLAG:

Got trolled and wants to claim he's the troll. LOL try again.

#37 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-26 01:04 PM | Reply

It's a treble hook JPW, see if you and Ebsies can help each other spit it out.

#38 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-26 01:08 PM | Reply

Scarborough breaks down laughing over Hannity's coverage of report Trump tried to fire Mueller

thehill.com

#39 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-26 01:11 PM | Reply

tucker carlson is equally repugnant.

#40 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2018-01-26 01:55 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Manu Raju‏ @mkraju

Asked Grassley if he would be OK if Trump fired Mueller. His response: "Heavens no!"

Grassley: Trump should let Mueller investigation 'work its course'

www.cnn.com

#41 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-26 02:09 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Same guy. He's a zombie now.

#42 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-01-26 02:09 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

Even your attempts to be funny are complete failures.

#43 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-26 03:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Even your attempts to be funny are complete failures.

#43 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

#44 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-26 03:08 PM | Reply

A lot of people "humor" themselves and others via the psychological phenomenon of putting someone else down to build yourself up.

It has a lot to do with group inclusion/exclusion dynamics.

It's not really about humor for its own sake, it's about being a better person than the person who is the butt of the joke. It's kind of a zero sum game of humor.

#45 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-26 03:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

To be fair, Jeff did post something funny, I thought, yesterday. I can't find it now, but it was about Trump's Vietnam. Very subtle. Some of Jeff's funniest posts are when he posts something seeming to be serious, but he's totally not and is just trolling and people go nuts. LOL

#46 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-26 03:22 PM | Reply

Wow, the way people are talking here I thought Mueller was fired.

#47 | Posted by Crassus at 2018-01-27 03:43 AM | Reply

Hmmm, If I thought about cheating on my diet, but didn't, is that still cheating?

Not sure why this is a story.

#48 | Posted by sawdust at 2018-01-27 08:38 AM | Reply

Thank you, Gal.

Even your attempts to be funny are complete failures.

#43 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

It's only because you despise me due to my political views.

#49 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-27 09:03 AM | Reply

Not sure why this is a story.

#48 | POSTED BY SAWDUST

#50 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-27 09:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Even your attempts to be funny are complete failures."

LOL

When satire is lost on partisan idiots like yourself, it's indeed funny.

#51 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-27 09:55 AM | Reply

"Right wing humor is pretty much limited to race/ethnicity jokes, sexist jokes and jokes demeaning poor folks."

And you're the butt of all of those, right?

You victim. Go join psycho in the corner for partisan retards.

#52 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-27 09:57 AM | Reply

Eberly calling others "partisan idiots"??? LMAO, Oh the irony and hypocrisy of that statement. And he is the Rube that supports the party of snowflakes and is one himself.

#53 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-01-27 04:37 PM | Reply

"We're living in a culture where a certain segment of our society feels a solemn duty to conjure up reasons to be offended and outraged."

Which "certain segment" is that?

#54 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-27 04:41 PM | Reply

What party is that, aborted?

This should be good.

You don't even know me, obviously.

#55 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-27 04:47 PM | Reply

These days, it seems like you don't know you, Eberly.
Ever since you voted for Hillary you've been sort of in a haze.

#56 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-27 04:48 PM | Reply

That's your haze, snoofy. Not mine.

I'm just fine.

#57 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-27 04:50 PM | Reply

No, you're Too Cool For School.
As in: Ideology: None.

#58 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-27 04:52 PM | Reply

Okay....but that's not a haze.

#59 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-27 05:19 PM | Reply