Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Dozens of Puerto Rican families temporarily staying in a Connecticut hotel because their homes were damaged during Hurricane Maria remain uncertain of where they'll live as the Federal Emergency Management Agency reversed its decision to extend temporary housing. Thirty-six Puerto Rican families initially were granted transitional shelter assistance through FEMA, but 24 of the families were deemed no longer eligible because a follow-up inspection determined that conditions were "livable" and utilities returned, according to a report by BuzzFeed. On October 30, FEMA approved a program that allowed "eligible applicants" displaced from hurricanes Irma and Maria to a temporary stay in a hotel or motel, paid through FEMA. According to FEMA, more than 10,000 Puerto Ricans are staying in transitional housing through the assistance program. In Connecticut alone, there are 166 families.

Comments

Having the------------------- toss paper towels to the peasants wasn't enough?

#1 | Posted by reinheitsgebot at 2018-01-24 08:16 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sure. Great way to help these people: making them a charge on the state. If they'd stayed home and lived in filth and starvation, it'd motivate them to start rebuilding with a real sense of urgency. But, nooooooo. Big Daddy FEMA has to come along and "help."

Stupid government. They'll probably start having boatload of rugrats on the taxpayers' dime while they're here, too.

/s

#2 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-24 08:45 PM | Reply

As many times as there are opportunities, I suspect.

#3 | Posted by morris at 2018-01-24 11:33 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by sawdust at 2018-01-26 08:12 AM | Reply

I'm truly hoping that was sarcasm MADSCIENTIST. Please don't disappoint me.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-26 10:41 AM | Reply

"How many times will Puerto Rico fail the Puerto Ricans? As long as they continue to elect corrupt Dems this will continue."

Those damned corrupt Democrats brought that hurricane to their island. Now the nice Republicans are trying to privatize their electric company. That will benefit Puerto Ricans so much. You are a fool.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-26 10:43 AM | Reply

I'm truly hoping that was sarcasm MADSCIENTIST. Please don't disappoint me.

Yeah, I was mimicking a Libertarian. The /s means sarcasm. ☺

#7 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-26 10:49 AM | Reply

Danni, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one here who, when reading comments, wonders what the hell is wrong with some people. They come up with the craziest, self-centered, stupid conclusions that even a spoiled brat wouldn't consider saying aloud. Sometimes they aren't trolling. They really are ignorant, spoiled --------.

When I read the title of the article, I imagined what the comments below it would be. I do this sometimes to prepare myself for the ridiculous onslaught of insanity about to unfold. It's better than it used to be, but sometimes the strawmen and purposeful false comparisons used in arguments make me laugh so hard, I wonder how anything has ever gotten accomplished with so many stupid, idiotic, foolish, stubborn, coddled --------- around.

#8 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-26 11:12 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"I do this sometimes to prepare myself for the ridiculous onslaught of insanity about to unfold." - #8 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-26 11:12 AM

"What fresh hell can this be?" - Dorothy Parker, whenever she was about to answer her doorbell

#9 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-26 11:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1