Wednesday, January 24, 2018

For Billy Bush, the last 15 months have been a turbulent ride. It was in October 2016 that the prominent entertainment journalist, then a rising star at the Today show, was abruptly fired after a videotape was leaked to The Washington Post, in which then-Apprentice host Donald Trump bragged to a Bush about groping women. ... "I was ashamed and embarrassed," Bush, 46, tells PEOPLE in this week's issue (on stands Friday) of the scandal. "And then I went through stages of grieving because I lost my career. For a man, that's the ultimate degradation. ... "There is a term for what I did," says Bush. "It's called bystander abuse. It says by not doing anything you are endorsing the moment. I have to live with that."

Comments

Not doing anything? He was goading Trump on.

#1 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-01-24 02:43 PM | Reply

Not doing anything? He was goading Trump on.

#1 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

That was kind of his job...helping the real Trump come out.

#2 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-24 02:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Hey, he admits his wrong doing and is trying his best to grow from his experience. Too bad Trump could be as honest and mature.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-24 02:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I was surprised to hear Bush admit so clearly that his role in that conversation was wrong. If you let men talk like Trump did and stay silent or laugh along, you're encouraging them to keep acting that way.

#4 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-24 02:56 PM | Reply

When with Howard Stern do likewise?

#5 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-24 02:59 PM | Reply

"If you let men talk like Trump did and stay silent or laugh along, you're encouraging them to keep acting that way."

It was Donald Trump. Let him own his comments. I couldn't care less about Billy Bush but he doesn't "let" Trump do anything. Trump does what he wants, says what he wants, etc. Billy Bush had little impact on what Trump is "encouraged" to say.

#6 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-24 02:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

BB was entranced by Trump... and would have let Trump grab his P, no problem.

#7 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-24 03:04 PM | Reply

I couldn't care less about Billy Bush but he doesn't "let" Trump do anything.

That's irrelevant. If you listen to that kind of crap and say nothing, you're wrong too. Not as wrong, but still wrong.

In junior high a friend of mine talked about how it was fun when he killed a stray cat. Are you suggesting that I had no responsibility to tell him that was sick? It's not like I had any guarantee he would stop doing it if I rebuked him. My silence could have made him think it was OK. Instead I was so nauseated by what he said that he looked shocked. I can't recall us ever speaking again after that.

#8 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-24 03:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"In junior high a friend of mine talked about how it was fun when he killed a stray cat. Are you suggesting that I had no responsibility to tell him that was sick?"

I see what you are saying and I agree but those are 2 people on equal ground, of sorts and your admonishment of your friend would likely matter to your friend.

You are suggesting that Donald Trump, one of the most arrogant -------- you'll ever see or hear about, could be impacted by what Billy Bush tells him?

Like I said...I'm not defending Billy....I'm just saying Donald doesn't give 2 ----- about anybody who dares question what he says or does.

and Billy Bush knew that.

#9 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-24 03:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

and would have let Trump grab his P, no problem.

#7 | Posted by Corky

Though I hear that Trump would have preferred to have that "P" all over him.

That's what people are saying. I would never say that but that is what the people are saying.

#10 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-24 03:34 PM | Reply

Of course not. But if Billy was on that tape saying "that's not appropriate," he would still have a TV career.

#11 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-24 03:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 | Posted by eberly

I agree with both you and Rogers. It isn't like Trump is anywhere close to a normal human being to begin with. An admonishment wouldn't have meant squat.

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-24 03:48 PM | Reply

"But if Billy was on that tape saying "that's not appropriate," he would still have a TV career.

And Trump wouldn't have been able to dismiss his comments as boy/locker room talk if one of the boy's had called him out on the spot, instead of guffawing and egging him on.

#13 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-24 03:51 PM | Reply

An admonishment wouldn't have meant squat.

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete

Except it would have put Billy on Trump's list of very bad people who have had very bad thoughts about Trump and then Trump would have had made some very harsh tweets about Billy's blood gushing from his whatevers.

So there is that.

#14 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-24 03:53 PM | Reply

"BB was entranced by Trump"

or perhaps intimidated. I went back and listened to that audio again, Bush said very little. He laughed (and he shouldn't have) but contributed very little to that conversation.

I get it that he regrets it and takes responsibility. Good for him.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-24 04:02 PM | Reply

As a reporter, it wasn't his job to encourage or admonish his subject, unless in pursuit of the story.
I'm not a big fan of "Silence=Acceptance". It's not my job to tell others how to live.

#16 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-01-24 04:23 PM | Reply

You can't use the "as a reporter" defense when he didn't report anything Trump said. Reporters report things.

#17 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-24 07:14 PM | Reply