Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Charlotte-based Bank of America has eliminated a free checking account popular with lower-income customers. The bank is now requiring customers to keep more money in their accounts to avoid a $12 monthly fee. "In order to avoid the maintenance fee customers will have to have a direct deposit of $250 or more per month or keep a daily minimum of $1,500 or more per month," wrote Mel San, who started a www.change.org">petition on Change.org which has 66,537 signatures. "In order to avoid the maintenance fee customers will have to have a direct deposit of $250 or more per month or keep a daily minimum of $1,500 or more per month. Many low income families do not meet these requirements. There have been times where I've only had $10 to my name. That wouldn't even cover the maintenance fee."

Comments

#MAGA

#1 | Posted by 726 at 2018-01-24 09:05 AM | Reply

I've had friends and relatives who banked with BOA, the worst bank in the world.

#2 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-24 09:16 AM | Reply

I got rid of them a long time ago.

#3 | Posted by boaz at 2018-01-24 10:22 AM | Reply

It's expensive to be poor; rich folk get comped. Been on both sides of it.

#4 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-24 10:35 AM | Reply

They took their tax cut and used it to raise fees on poor people.

www.drudge.com

#5 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2018-01-24 10:36 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Founded by an Italian, it set itself apart from other Banks by catering to the working class. Not anymore. During the 2008 crisis footage emerged showing dozens of Citibank and Bank of America customers being denied requests to close their accounts, some even being arrested after alleged clashes with branch managers.

www.dailymail.co.uk

#6 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-01-24 03:13 PM | Reply

Switched to a credit union years ago. I'll never go back to a commercial bank.

#7 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-01-24 03:42 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 3

Anybody who uses BOA probably deserves what they get. I switched to online only Everbank and like it.

#8 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2018-01-24 06:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My local bank got gobbled up by these monsters.

Ditched these ------- about 8 years ago, as I was getting nickeled and dimed ($5 and $10) to death with -------- made up fees.

Went to a credit union that doesn't have those fees and haven't looked back.

#9 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-01-24 07:17 PM | Reply

Been using a credit union since 2001. Never going back to a bank again.

In the mid 90s when the kids were little and the budget was squeaky tight, my new employer issued me my first payroll check. I figured it wasn't a problem because I had a BOA account and their payroll was drawn on BOA. Was I ever wrong. A 2 week hold because it was different states. Screw Bank of America.

#10 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-01-24 09:12 PM | Reply

I dumped bank of sleaze awhile back and joined a credit union and I am very happy about it.

hell with the banks

#11 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-01-24 10:11 PM | Reply

hell with the banks

#11 | POSTED BY PUNCHYPOSSUM

So, I'm guessing you oppose Dodd-Frank as it codifies "too big to fail". No?

#12 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-24 10:16 PM | Reply

So, I'm guessing you make up stores from urban legends to make yourself seem more important than you are now or could ever be. No?

#12 | POSTED BY JEFFJ