Tuesday, January 23, 2018

"Even using a conservative estimate, it was the single largest day for a demonstration in the US," Chenoweth, an expert on political protests and civil resistance, told us.

Every state in America hosted a Women's March, as you can see in the map above. The events ranged from tiny gatherings in small town squares to throngs of more than 500,000 people clogging streets in cities like Washington, DC, and Los Angeles.

Pressman said he started to track crowd numbers from organizers, local media outlets, and citizens who emailed or tweeted with links and reports early Saturday morning.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Chenoweth cautioned that while 4.2 million Americans protesting on Saturday may be the largest turnout in US history in absolute terms, she wasn't sure if it was the largest protest proportionally speaking. For instance, she said, it's possible that protests in cities around the US against the Iraq War in 2003 may have drawn as many people or more relative to the population at that time.

Comments

Even women have bigger ones than Trump.

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-23 03:52 PM | Reply

It got practically no coverage even on public radio.

#2 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-01-23 04:13 PM | Reply

I noticed very low coverage too.

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-23 04:16 PM | Reply

I saw live coverage on CNN.com.

#4 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-23 04:29 PM | Reply

"Crowd estimates from Women's Marches on Saturday now tally over 4 million and political scientists think we may have just witnessed the largest day of demonstrations in American history."

Wow, I had no idea. The coverage of the marches this year was minimal compared to last year's coverage, so I thought that the attendance overall was down. Glad to learn I was wrong.

#5 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-23 11:33 PM | Reply

One of my favorite tweets about the marches:

Nancy Pelosi‏ @NancyPelosi
Nancy Pelosi Retweeted Donald J. Trump
Who wants to tell him?

Donald J. Trump‏ @realDonaldTrump
Beautiful weather all over our great country, a perfect day for all Women to March. Get out there now to celebrate the historic milestones and unprecedented economic success and wealth creation that has taken place over the last 12 months. Lowest female unemployment in 18 years!

#6 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-23 11:36 PM | Reply

I'll believe it when I see it.

#7 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-24 12:04 AM | Reply

I'll believe it when I see it.
#7 | POSTED BY EBERLY

See what?

#8 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-01-24 12:46 AM | Reply

I have to agree with Gal, it seems intentional when such huge marches are so ignored by the media.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-24 12:29 PM | Reply

I saw coverage of it, and I'm a cord cutter.

#10 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-01-24 01:24 PM | Reply

It got practically no coverage even on public radio.

#2 | Posted by visitor_

There was coverage every where. If you were paying attention.

The government shutdown was taking most of the bandwidth but my wife and I saw coverage on all the major channels. She was very interested and wanted to go herself but had to work that day.

#11 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-24 04:18 PM | Reply

it was on. nrver enough, though.

what do mean "may be" - the first march, 2017, WAS the largest protest march in US history.
Women rose against Trump. and it will continue, i'm sure. with the so-called millennials joining.
numbers increasing. ...will it be enough or will there be civil war?
i predict yes, enough, with various skirmishes, bombings, and other attacks...by "hidden" violent domestic groups.

#12 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-01-24 10:17 PM | Reply

It was the largest single-day protest in U.S. history.
www.independent.co.uk

list:
en.m.wikipedia.org
--Vietnam is #8, icyw.

#13 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-01-24 10:22 PM | Reply

the speed of the "information super-highway" aka www aka internet, will be overcome purely by numbers of citizens in the streets.

#14 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-01-24 10:29 PM | Reply

There's another side to this, you know.

i.kinja-img.com