Thursday, January 18, 2018

Earth's surface will almost certainly not warm up four or five degrees Celsius by 2100, according to a study released Wednesday which, if correct, voids worst-case UN climate change predictions.

Comments

You and others are going to draw the conclusion from this that climate change is not a big deal.

A 2- to 3.8-degree Celsius global temperature increase is a big deal.

"With a single degree Celsius of warming so far, the Earth is already coping with a crescendo of climate impacts including deadly droughts, erratic rainfall, and storm surges engorged by rising seas."

#1 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-18 08:38 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

It is only sensible to consider climate change as a huge potential threat and deal with it that way, underestimating the threat could very well lead to absolute disaster while morons like Boaz say, "don't blame us, no one could ever have imagined terrorist flying airplanes into the WTC.....blah, blah, blah."

#2 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-18 08:52 AM | Reply

Hey, who took all of the glaciers? Where did they go? Huh Boaz?

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-18 08:53 AM | Reply

#3,

A naturally occurring nature that neither you nor I have any control over.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2018-01-18 09:25 AM | Reply | Funny: 4 | Newsworthy 1

#1,

I'm just happy you didnt delete the thread.

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2018-01-18 09:26 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Boaz, I realize you're trolling, but you should send your findings to NOAA. They'd be interested in your research.

In the interim, here's a website on this subject that you'll not read called skeptical science:

www.skepticalscience.com

#6 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-18 09:39 AM | Reply

I realize you're trolling

Actually, I'm not.

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2018-01-18 10:42 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

That's a biased article, Mad..

There's alot of contradictory data out there. I wouldnt be so cynical about it if climate change scientists wouldnt be trying to squash or hide alternate theory data or even look at that type of data. I think screaming wolf by some scientists ensures they stay funded for "research", so they are biased in what their results end up being. Add to that most of them are probably liberal to begin with and I think their ideology clouds their presentation.

I just dont agree. And I have a right to disagree. I also have a right to NOT have any policy pushed on my way of life by these type people. I dont care what their "findings" are.

#8 | Posted by boaz at 2018-01-18 10:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

A naturally occurring nature that neither you nor I have any control over.

#4 | POSTED BY BOAZ

LOL

#9 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-18 11:37 AM | Reply

That's a biased article, Mad..

Translation: It doesn't agree with my ignorant opinions.

It's one of the best sources of information for lay people I've come across.

So the data is out there, but it's being quashed by science?

This study is published in Nature, one of the most prestigious scientific journals in the world, and yet data is being suppressed?!?

C'mon, Boaz, do you think you're fooling anyone? You're using standard arguments that ignorant people have made to support their denialism of multiple topics.

The rest of your post is just puling because you don't wannnnnnaaa beeellieeeeve *shoves fists in eyes*.

#10 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-18 11:41 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

Thread gets a funny flag.

Keep 'em coming, Bozo...LOL!

#11 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-01-18 08:24 PM | Reply

Boaz, did you actually read the article? You just linked one that confirmed climate change is real, and mankind's emissions effect it.

"Our study all but rules out very low and very high climate sensitivities," said lead author Peter Cox, a professor at the University of Exeter."

So climate sensitivity to human emissions is in the middle of earlier models quantifying it.

#12 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2018-01-19 09:02 AM | Reply

I feel a spell of boaz coming on.

I have recently begun questioning the claims of military folks that terrorists killing Americans is bad.
We know the have a huge bias and are just saying this to get more funding for their do nothing jobs and cushy pensions.
Americans have been dying for as long as the US existed, it is inevitable for everyone and can't be stopped, so why waste money preventing terrorism.
Plus some people that the MIC 'claims' died from terrorism are not nice people and they aren't lucky, so why should I care about them.
I object to my tax dollars being spent on false claims that terrorism is real or can cause harm.
Disband the military now and cut my taxes.

#13 | Posted by bored at 2018-01-19 12:30 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY BOAZ

You do realize your study basically says they think temps will rise 2.8 degrees and the people who think there will be little effect from increases greenhouses gases are complete morons, right?

#14 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-19 12:33 PM | Reply

Plus the recent falsified missile alert in Hawaii proves that all of the US MIC is a bunch of evil, greedy liars that use terror to extort money from tax payers. Lock them up!

#15 | Posted by bored at 2018-01-19 12:33 PM | Reply

Just a year or 2 ago, the IPCC admitted their projections were wrong because current global temps are below even their best case projections.

For some reason, some people want to live in apocalyptic times. It doesn't matter if it's a wacko religious cult of end of times climate alarmists. Please note, not all people who believe in climate change are alarmist. There are plenty of people like me who believe in it just not the end of the world prophecies that have been made by people like Gore. His predictions have been notoriously wrong.

#16 | Posted by jamesgelliott at 2018-01-19 01:40 PM | Reply

Here's the thing about the study - you have to go to the end of the article:

One wild card not taken into consideration by the new model is the possibility of rapid shifts in climate brought on by the planet itself.

"There is indeed evidence that the climate system can undergo abrupt changes or 'tipping points'," Cox told AFP.

The collapse of the gulf stream, the thawing of carbon-rich permafrost, or the melting of ice sheets on Greenland and Antarctica -- any of these could quickly change the equation, and not in the Earth's favour.

We are already seeing this permafrost melt starting in Siberia and Canada. I am sure everyone is familiar with the massive craters forming in Russia by now.

#17 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-19 01:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"With a single degree Celsius of warming so far,

#1 | Posted by rcade

Which means more land for agriculture. Now, that is badddddddddddd.

#18 | Posted by Sniper at 2018-01-20 03:31 PM | Reply