Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Sapna Maheshwari, New York Times: One of the most formative experiences of J. Clifford Hudson's life happened about 20 minutes away from the glass-walled office he now occupies as the chief executive of Sonic Drive-In, the burger-and-milkshake chain. It happened in 1969, Mr. Hudson's freshman year of high school and the first year of court-ordered desegregation for his school district. "You had school board members really inciting hatred. You had parents showing up at public meetings screaming, 'You better frisk those kids before they go to school with my daughter,'" Mr. Hudson, now 63, recounted in a recent interview. But his parents did not protest the desegregation or remove him from the school.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

[H]e has cultivated something of a rarity in corporate America -- a management team that is mostly women and minorities and a board that is close to that. ...

"There's a lot of folks that feel like the America they understood in the '50s, '60s and maybe the early '70s is an America they don't understand today as much, and they're reacting to that," Mr. Hudson said. "But this is where leaders of all sorts can talk about a big tent instead of talking about a divisiveness, and talk about how we approach this so we have opportunity for everybody instead of a divide-and-conquer approach.

"The strongest thing we can do," he added, "is attempt to lead by example and be open about it."

Comments

Sonic makes the highest caloric meals in the fast food industry.

#1 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-01-17 09:03 AM | Reply

#1 | Posted by bayviking

Not really sure what that's got to do with the price of eggs in China, but, yeah...whatever.

#2 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-01-17 09:22 AM | Reply

"Sonic makes the highest caloric meals in the fast food industry."

I made this fantastic discovery long ago. You don't have to eat the entire thing. If I overeat I don't blame the restaurant, I blame me.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-17 09:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

Back on topic though, I remember desegregation in Mississippi, 1966. Those red necks were mean bastards. Peer pressure brought my older brothers around to their way of thinking, they haven't ever returned to reasonableness. Christian academies sprung up so that lilly white kids wouldn't have to attend school with black kids, I'm sure Jesus would have vomited about that. It was a terrible time when Americans disrespected the black community to a level I would never have thought possible. The famous three civil rights workers were murdered, their killers were found and brought to the Naval base where I lived because if they took them to the city jail the people would have stormed it and released them. I only know one thing for sure, when we moved away from Mississippi to California, I promised myself I would never go back to that s**thole.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-17 09:49 AM | Reply

Most fast food joints offer some forms of somewhat healthy options. I've found the pre-packaged salads and Wendy's to be surprisingly fresh. Having been on Weight Watchers for almost a full year, a couple of fast food options are surprisingly reasonable in terms of the number of points they are. A large chili at Wendy's is 7 points. A crunchy taco at Taco Bell is 5 points. A soft taco supreme at Taco Bell is 7 points.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-17 09:55 AM | Reply

he's right. I didn't know that. I stop at my sonic because it's the only fast food place between my office and my house.

oh well.....I'll stop that now.

#6 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 10:01 AM | Reply

Sonic makes the highest caloric meals in the fast food industry.

I don't know what you're basing that on. Their shakes are crazy high in calories, but a shake is not a meal. Sonic doesn't turn up in many "highest calorie fast food items" lists.

#7 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-17 11:26 AM | Reply

Of all the fast food places that offer onion rings, the onion rings offered by Sonic are definitely the best.

#8 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-17 11:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

And in case nobody's noticed, the linked article has nothing to do with the perceived health advantages of fast food.

#10 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-01-17 12:28 PM | Reply

A #4 -bacon cheeseburger- with rings and a root beer...Butler Mo. A worthy destination

#11 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-01-17 12:38 PM | Reply

the linked article has nothing to do with...

Are you new here? When has that ever stopped people from diverting from the thread topic?

Back on topic, nice puff piece from the NYT about a long time Clinton supporter:

That Mr. Hudson would speak for diversity and inclusion is not surprising. He is a longtime Democratic donor whose office features, in addition to photos of his wife, who is a doctor, and two sons, a picture of him with former President Bill Clinton, who appointed him chairman of the board of the Securities Investor Protection Corporation.
What they fail to mention is that Sonic ranks near the bottom of fast food salary list at $7.55 per hour and some of the lowest benefits in the industry.

Progressive, indeed.

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-17 12:45 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

a shake is not a meal. - #7 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-17 11:26 AM
You bite your forked tongue!

From the article:
Sonic Hourly Wage:
Assistant Manager, Fast Food $9.94
Restaurant Assistant Manager $10.06
Cook, Fast Food $7.89
Crew Leader $8.18

That's some prime leading by example.

#13 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-01-17 12:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

2 minutes...

#14 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-01-17 12:48 PM | Reply

can you post a link for that? LOL

I'm not saying it can't be done but most examples of it get laughed out of the room when the real facts become known....

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 12:50 PM | Reply

"We know why this was posted in the first place......it's so some here can believe one can be a true liberal while running a corporation."

"11 Reasons To Love Costco That Have Nothing To Do With Shopping"

www.huffingtonpost.com

#16 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-17 01:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I've always stated I love Costco's business model.

But I don't think Sonic's business model rivals it....do you?

#17 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 01:08 PM | Reply

what's funny is that the man can be a liberal with his politics but he can have certain business practices that liberals would disagree with.

But business models aren't liberal nor conservative, IMO. Some can align more with liberal values or not.....but the personal politics of a business owner can be different than his business model.

I guess I'm giving this guy a pass on being a total hypocrite.

#19 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 01:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Exactly. He is the CEO of a publicly traded company, so he is beholden to his shareholders, which is why he is holding down wages to keep within industry norms.

As for the link, it wouldn't post for some reason, Google "Sonic Wages Glassdoor comparison" and you can find the list with a little digging. In n' Out is #1 at $11.23/hour, McDonalds is at 10th at $8.09/hour and Sonic is 21st at $7.55/hr.

#20 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-17 01:58 PM | Reply

I never understood why we have business models that pay twice; one to Employees, another to Shareholders

Yes, I understand it's need to grow, but I have seen business do just fine without going public

#21 | Posted by cmbell73 at 2018-01-17 02:28 PM | Reply

Something's gotta give. I mean we are getting to the point where short of direct verbal consent by the female to perform specific sexual acts, a man is at risk of being accused of taking unfair advantage. That is just not how men and women function in the real world of dating, courtship, and love. Something's gotta give. The 'heat of the moment' is a real thing, no matter how difficult it is for people to articulate after the fact.

#22 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-01-17 02:40 PM | Reply

#23 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 02:45 PM | Reply

No. I didn't say that. Be reasonable.

#24 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-01-17 02:48 PM | Reply

Liberals aren't a collective hive mentality?

Must be shocking and difficult to comprehend for conservatives.

#25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-01-17 02:52 PM | Reply

"Christian academies sprung up so that lilly white kids wouldn't have to attend school with black kids..." - #4 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-17 09:49 AM

Yep. Any (mostly) Southern private school celebrating their semicentennial anniversary over the past few years was almost, to a "T," established as a segregation academy.

"...I'm sure Jesus would have vomited about that."

And I'm sure pfc. boazo would disagree with you. Somehow, he would state an opinion, and claim as a fact that Jesus wouldn't have wanted lilly white kids to attend school with black kids.

Because, as pfc. boazo (and his ilk) will tell you, Jesus Christ was lilly white. Most likely from Bethlehem, Norway.

#26 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-17 02:53 PM | Reply

#22 | POSTED BY MODER8

I want to flesh this out a bit. A man and a woman are fresh off their first date. She invites him in. They both feel a strong attraction to each other and start kissing. As passions increase the man stops and asks, "Is it OK if I put my hands on your posterior?" With some annoyance, she responds, "Of course! Let's get on with this." After a bit of awkwardness things get heated up and the man stops again and asks, "Is it OK if I touch your rack?" Frustrated and extremely annoyed she responds, "You know what? Never mind!"

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-17 03:02 PM | Reply

"you mean I should stop expecting a ------- for giving a $5 tip to the Sonic waitress?" - #23 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 02:45 PM

Is that a SuperSonic #1, or a SuperSonic #2?

#28 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-17 03:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"But I don't think Sonic's business model rivals it....do you?"

If the wages posted above are accurate Sonic would have to give raises just to do business in Florida. Our minimum wage is now $8.35.

#29 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-17 03:03 PM | Reply

Liberals aren't a collective hive mentality? Must be shocking and difficult to comprehend for conservatives. - #25 | Posted by ClownShack at 2018-01-17 02:52 PM
Conservatives want everyone to ...Posted by ClownShack at 2018-01-14 03:07 PM
and the Republican Party. Racist as fük, and proud of it. - Posted by ClownShack at 2018-01-07 03:32 PM
For conservatives, being two faced is business as usual. - Posted by ClownShack at 2017-12-24 10:31 PM
The Republican Party is a cesspool. Posted by ClownShack at 2017-12-11 03:50 PM

You rent out an IMAX theater to get that much projection?

#30 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-01-17 03:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"Liberals aren't a collective hive mentality?"

that describes a lot of them here.

#31 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 03:05 PM | Reply

Danni, in your opinion, is J. Clifford Hudson a liberal?

#32 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 03:07 PM | Reply

"That is the trajectory this #MeToo thing appears to be heading. Gal has been hitting this side of it pretty hard." - #27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-17 03:02 PM

Gal posted the US Magazine article about Ashley Banfield's take on this.

#33 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-17 03:16 PM | Reply

Hans, I love the supersonics....but if they are THAT fattening......I should drive by.

#34 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 03:17 PM | Reply

"Hans, I love the supersonics...." - #34 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 03:17 PM

I am so with you on that one, Eb.

Fortunately, both Sonic restaurants where I live are very inconvenient to get to/from (work and/or home) that my SuperSonic intake is, fortunately, few and far between.

God help me if they go the UberEats delivery route!!!! :-)

#35 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-17 03:20 PM | Reply

We used to have a Steak Out Char-Broiled Delivery Service where I live.

Their steaks were actually pretty good, but their cheeseburgers were delicious.

But, alas, no more. :-(

#36 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-17 03:24 PM | Reply

Ashley Banfield's scorching open letter read by Banfield herself.

#33 | POSTED BY HANS AT 2018-01-17 03:16 PM

Holy cow!! That was one heck of a powerful, epic rant. Perfectly stated.

#37 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-17 03:24 PM | Reply

"Holy cow!! That was one heck of a powerful, epic rant. Perfectly stated." - #37 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-17 03:24 PM

I heard it in the car this morning and thought the very same thing, JeffJ.

"He deserved a pair of blue balls, not a Hollywood black ball."
Perfect ending to her rant.

#38 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-17 03:27 PM | Reply

I hadn't seen that from Banfield.

But I'd like to grab her posterior.

I'm a pig.

#39 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-17 03:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Oh, and JeffJ: this post was inspired by your #78 (in the same thread).

#40 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-17 03:30 PM | Reply

I saw it. Didn't realize it was a response to my post until you just pointed it out. Appropriate and well done.

#41 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-17 03:40 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

But that article pales in comparison to actually hearing Ashley Banfield's scorching open letter read by Banfield herself."

Hans, I thought the article I linked to included the whole video. Didn't realize it didn't. I saw the video on Morning Joe.

#42 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-17 03:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

" I saw the video on Morning Joe." - #42 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-17 03:42 PM

I listened to it in the car.

Powerful stuff.

#43 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-17 03:46 PM | Reply

"Because the only sentence a guy like that deserves is a case of blue balls, not being blackballed."

Banfield is a GODDESS!!!!

#44 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-01-17 03:49 PM | Reply