Monday, January 15, 2018

Chelsea Manning has released the first campaign ad in her bid for a Maryland Senate seat. Manning will run against Sen. Ben Cardin (D-Md.) in the November Democratic primary. The whistleblower was sentenced to 35 years for releasing confidential military and State Department documents, but former President Obama commuted her sentence to seven years, leading to her release in 2017. Manning has been a visible activist for LGBTQ rights and other causes since her release. She would become the first openly transgender member of Congress if elected to the Senate.

Comments

This is a dumb idea.

#1 | Posted by qcp at 2018-01-15 10:46 AM | Reply

Chelsea Manning is a convicted criminal. Criminals should NOT be allowed to run for office...
--Clueless GOP members forgetting their own

#2 | Posted by catdog at 2018-01-15 12:13 PM | Reply

I think I'd vote for her if I lived in Maryland.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-15 12:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I think I'd vote for her if I lived in Maryland.

#3 | Posted by danni

Of course you would.

#4 | Posted by boaz at 2018-01-15 12:20 PM | Reply

She should just go away.

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-01-15 12:32 PM | Reply

"Ten Revelations From Bradley Manning's WikiLeaks Documents"

www.slate.com

#6 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-15 02:44 PM | Reply

Anybody can run. Mr. Manning is a...mental case.

#7 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-01-15 03:12 PM | Reply

Establishment Democrats wasted no time in mocking and denouncing Manning's bid to become the first ever trans woman in the Senate, instead quickly lining up in support behind the straight white male who has wielded power for decades. To demean Manning, many of these establishment Democrats invoked the primary tactic they now reflexively use against anyone they view as a political adversary: they depicted her as a tool of the Kremlin, whose candidacy is really just a disguised plot engineered by Moscow. Leading the way in spreading this conspiracy theory is Neera Tanden. (theintercept)

#9 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-01-15 07:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Chelsea Manning Running for Senate

I hope she wins.

#10 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-15 07:40 PM | Reply

I hope she wins.

#10 | POSTED BY PINCHALOAF AT 2018-01-15 07:40 PM

Stranger things have happened, aka President Trump.

#11 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-15 08:05 PM | Reply

From The Hill dot com article:

Sloppy, sloppy reporting.

The 2018 Democratic (and Republican) primary in Maryland is June 26, 2018.

The 2018 general election is November 6, 2018.

(source)

#12 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-15 08:07 PM | Reply

I hope she wins too just to piss off Boaz.

#13 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-15 11:50 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by babyhuey at 2018-01-16 09:11 AM

Alabama voters recently took care of one freak.

Virginia voters, another one.

#15 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-16 09:37 AM | Reply

"We don't get to decide what laws we are going to abide by. [...]"

People of conscience have always decided which laws they were willing to obey. Would you have obeyed the "runaway slave laws" pre-Civil War? I douldn't have. I respected young men who escaped to Canada rather than fight in Vietnam. The Civil Rights movement was an era when violating laws was synonymous with Civil Disobedience. MLK violated laws and went to jail for it.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-16 10:14 AM | Reply

Why? To strengthen the Dems winning identity politics platform? /snark

#19 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-16 02:42 PM | Reply

Predictably, the DR bigots have come out of the woodwork for this thread.

#20 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2018-01-16 02:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

"...Oh please let this freak win the Democrat nomination." - #17 | Posted by docnjo at 2018-01-16 10:54 AM

The word "Democrat" is not an adjective.

#21 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-16 03:44 PM | Reply

Chelsea Manning Running for Senate
Ben Cardin's favorables among Maryland voters is twice his unfavorables.

No reason why Maryland voters would not re-nominate him for another run as the Democratic candidate for reelection.

#22 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-16 03:48 PM | Reply

Maybe Democratss should start using the term Repub, as in: I wonder who will be the Repub nomination to replace Senator Corker?

#23 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-16 03:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

be=get Or: I wonder who will be the Repub nominee to replace Corker?

#24 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-16 03:51 PM | Reply

Chelsea Manning engaged in a traitorous act that undoubtedly caused harm to this country.

#25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-16 04:31 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I hope her primary opponent in Maryland reminds the voters of Maryland of what Manning did." - #25 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-16 04:31 PM

In light of my #22, that might not be necessary.

I'm not sure that the Democratic primary voters in Maryland are clamoring to get rid of the incumbent.

But, Cardin certainly should take no chances.

#26 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-16 04:51 PM | Reply

But, Cardin certainly should take no chances.

#26 | POSTED BY HANS

Agreed.

#27 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-16 04:55 PM | Reply

POSTED BY DANNI

[...] Manning broke the UCMJ and oaths he took to this nation, that is very different than a nebulous sense of nobility from civil disobedience due to dodging a military draft.

She won't be able to hide from her past crimes because of a name, gender. or identity change - her reckless actions did grave damage to national security.

#28 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-01-16 05:10 PM | Reply

That said(/posted), Manning has a near-zero chance of real election success so this act is more likely a publicity stunt for a book, web series, podcast, etc.

#29 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-01-16 05:12 PM | Reply

I just suspended four accounts from commenting for three weeks because they called Chelsea Manning a him or a freak.

#30 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-16 09:44 PM | Reply

She won't be able to hide from her past crimes ...

She served seven years for her crimes. We often celebrate whistleblowers in this country when the information they leak is a public good.

While I am ambivalent about Manning overall, I see no reason why she shouldn't make a bid for office. It's not like every candidate is an exemplar of virtue in the age of Donald Trump and Roy Moore.

#31 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-16 09:51 PM | Reply

What are her qualifications for occupying a senate seat?

House of reps....I don't really think there should be a stringent set of qualifications for that, but the senate?

Set all other stuff about manning aside......still lacking qualifications.

#32 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-16 10:26 PM | Reply

Guess that's for the voters of Maryland to decide. You can run in your state if you like.

#33 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-16 10:33 PM | Reply

"If you can't speak about transgender people with respect don't discuss them at all."

Any thoughts of extending this to non-transgender people like Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump? ;)

#34 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-16 10:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"still lacking qualifications."

I dunno, military service is generally viewed as a qualifying factor.

#35 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-16 10:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

And the qualifications are in the constitution, basically you have to be old enough.

#36 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-16 10:35 PM | Reply

She has every right to run for public office, and I hope she does well in whatever she does. One might have thought though that starting with a Senate seat might be a little optimistic for a first effort.

#37 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-16 10:52 PM | Reply

#37 yeah there's this fellow who's first run was for president and we all thought it was hilarious/ridiculous. And here we are.

#38 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-16 11:04 PM | Reply

Anybody can google the qualifications specified by the constitution.

I'm talking about relevant professional and political qualifications.

#39 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-16 11:06 PM | Reply

She's no Donald Trump! lol... obviously she's still more of a man than he is.

*don't hit me, Rcade! just kiddin'!

#40 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-16 11:09 PM | Reply

#39 yeah that's why I said it's up to the people of Maryland to decide.

Years ago I got harassed on the phone for money to oppose Strom Thurmond. I felt it was up to his state to decide, even though he made me sick.

#41 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-16 11:21 PM | Reply

Agreed. Voters can make their choices.

#42 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-16 11:23 PM | Reply

#42 by the way I took government and econ in 71. Google, I'm unfamiliar with the term.:-)

#43 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-16 11:28 PM | Reply

I dunno, military service is generally viewed as a qualifying factor.

#35 | POSTED BY SNOOFY

Not when it ends with a court martial and espionage convictions.

#44 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-17 12:26 AM | Reply

I'm talking about relevant professional and political qualifications.
#39 | POSTED BY EBERLY

Not really sure how "let Maryland voters decide" is an answer to your question.

We can discuss what qualifications she has without affecting voting. Unless Maryland voters show up and call her a him. Then rcade will drop the hammer.

#45 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-17 12:28 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

"Not when it ends with a court martial and espionage convictions."

Ollie North gave it a run for the money.

#46 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-17 03:33 AM | Reply

#30 - Didn't Manning identify as a ‘he' when the law was broken?
Not sure how the gender pronoun past-tense grammar works when referring to when a gender was different.
My high school English teachers never covered that.

#47 | Posted by Snowfake at 2018-01-17 09:24 AM | Reply

That's not what people were doing. They were expressing contempt and using gender to do it.

But even when speaking about Manning's past, using "her" or "she" is the proper thing to do. She's living as a woman. People who want to respect this are going to grant her that small courtesy.

#48 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-17 11:31 AM | Reply