Sunday, January 14, 2018

Britain should charge a 25 pence ($0.34) "latte levy" on disposable coffee cups to cut down waste and ban them if a recycling target is not met by 2023, a committee of lawmakers said on Friday. Less than 1 percent of coffee cups are recycled in Britain because of the tightly bonded plastic liner, the difficulties of recycling packaging which has been in contact with food and drink and a lack of facilities, the lawmakers said. ... "The UK throws away 2.5 billion disposable coffee cups every year; enough to circle the planet five and a half times," said chair of the committee, Mary Creagh. ... US chain Starbucks will trial a 5 pence (about 7 cents) levy at up to 25 London branches in February for three months.

Comments

"The Earth plus plastic" -- George Carlin

www.youtube.com
[2:11]

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-14 08:27 AM | Reply

Why don't they ever tax the manufacturer or seller of bad products? They're the ones who profit from the waste.

#2 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-01-14 09:17 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#2 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIS

well said!

#3 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-14 09:42 AM | Reply

I use my own coffee cup and most places give you a fairly hefty discount if you bring your own cup. For gold card members Starbucks, for a while, did 50 cent refills on reusable cups. Not sure if they are still doing that. Gas stations frequently don't charge me to refill my cup and when they do charge they usually charge a refill price of under a buck or for a small coffee. I've even gotten free refills at McDonald's.

So you are already paying a fee by not using your own cup you just don't know it. Maybe making the fee higher will make you more likely to use your own cup.

Seriously a really good insulated mug can be picked up for 25 or less. Just the savings from Starbucks will pay for itself in a few weeks.

#4 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-01-14 09:44 AM | Reply

Seriously a really good insulated mug can be picked up for 25 or less.

And they keep your coffee hot for most of the day.

#5 | Posted by horstngraben at 2018-01-14 11:37 AM | Reply

#6 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-01-14 11:42 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

If a few people die drinking from poorly washed reusable cups, no biggie.

This happens a lot, does it?

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-14 11:52 AM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY VISITOR_ AT 2018-01-14 11:42 AM | FLAG:

If an adult is knucklehead enough to drink from a bacteria laden cup, well then natural selection just did it's. job.

In all seriousness, we don't recycle nearly enough. I would participate in my community but there's just nothing available. We're still buying our own trash cans for the side of the road.

#8 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2018-01-14 01:08 PM | Reply

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street,
If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat.
If you get too cold, I'll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet.

--The Beatles, "Taxman", written by G. Harrison, Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, © 1966.

#9 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-14 05:27 PM | Reply

In Mesa Az, every home has a garbage big plastic thing and a recyclable thing. Some years the city actually makes a profit off the recycling. But we save on landfill charges too.

It's unamerican to waste our resources

#10 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-14 06:26 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Damn Mad , I didn't know sony owned George's songs too, I thought it was just Maclen

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-14 06:28 PM | Reply

#12 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-14 06:28 PM | Reply

They probably put a Revolver to his head.

#13 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-14 07:00 PM | Reply

"Why do my taxes pay for Coke's business decision to replace returnable bottles with disposable ones?"

I completely agree, deposits on returnable containers would go a long way towards solving our litter problems.

"If a few people die drinking from poorly washed reusable cups, no biggie. The working class is expendable, we'll just import some more."

Believe it or not I lived through the era of returnable bottles. No one I knew ever died from a dirty container. If you were broke you could go on a bottle hunt and usually raise a few dollars while cleaning the area. Bring back the returnable bottles with deposits. Not doing so is just wasteful and encourages littering.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-15 09:01 AM | Reply