Friday, January 12, 2018

U.S. Ambassador to Panama John Feeley, a career diplomat and former Marine Corps helicopter pilot, has resigned, saying he no longer felt able to serve President Donald Trump. Feeley's departure had been communicated to State Department officials on Dec. 27 and was not a response to Trump's alleged use of the word "---hole" to describe Haiti and African countries at a meeting on Thursday, U.S. officials said.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"As a junior foreign service officer, I signed an oath to serve faithfully the president and his administration in an apolitical fashion, even when I might not agree with certain policies," Feeley said, according to an excerpt of a resignation letter read to Reuters on Friday. "My instructors made clear that if I believed I could not do that, I would be honor bound to resign. That time has come."

Comments

It is always encouraging to see men and women of integrity doing what is right.

#1 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-12 02:00 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 7

He's the ambassador to a lot of brown people. I can see why he took this step,

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-12 02:20 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

When will Nikki Haley turn in her resignation? I wouldn't want to try to do her job at the UN after Trummp's comments.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-12 02:24 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Werking for Trumpligula has a limited amount of perks.

We can only hope there is a John Feely or an Elliot Richardson in the WH when the time comes.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-12 02:41 PM | Reply

Actions based on meaningful and decent principle are not going to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! Where's the pay-off? Huh? Huh? He's probably happy to be out of that --------.
~ Classy Donnie

#5 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2018-01-12 03:14 PM | Reply

Excellent! That's one way to weed them out.

Now we have one less Deep Stater to pay.

#Winning!

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-12 06:36 PM | Reply

Good job, Marine!

#7 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-12 07:38 PM | Reply

I respect this choice.

#8 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-12 07:50 PM | Reply

Pistons popping, ain't no stopping now: Panama

#9 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-12 10:56 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

He was honor bound to make the right move. Good for him. As far as Trump is concerned there is no place in his administration for stupid stuff honor or integrity. That kind of nonsense just gets in his way, doncha know. And it ain't in the Nazi playbook.

#10 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-13 05:14 AM | Reply

Drain the Canal!! Build a Wall!!

#11 | Posted by squinch at 2018-01-13 06:55 AM | Reply

Good, obviously he is not able to support his country.

#12 | Posted by Crassus at 2018-01-14 12:04 AM | Reply

Surprise, an obama appointee resigns under President Trump - go figure.

#13 | Posted by MSgt at 2018-01-14 12:06 AM | Reply

Surprise, an obama appointee resigns under President Trump - go figure.

Posted by MSgt at 2018-01-14 12:06 AM | Reply

MSGT has nothing cogent to say. A typical day for him.

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-14 12:09 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

Surprise, an obama appointee resigns under President Trump - go figure.
Posted by MSgt