Friday, January 12, 2018

Eric Clapton revealed that he was going deaf while discussing his ongoing health issues and the difficulties of playing guitar in his Seventies during an interview with BBC 2.

Clapton noted he plans to keep performing live, but said, "The only thing I'm concerned with now is being in my Seventies and being able to be proficient. I mean, I'm going deaf, I've got tinnitus, my hands just about work. I'm hoping that people will come along and see me just because, or maybe more than because I'm a curiosity. I know that is part of it, because it's amazing to myself I'm still here."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone, Clapton said of his guitar playing, "I'm as good now as I've been in the last two years," but acknowledged, "playing is difficult anyway. I have to get on the bottom of the ladder every time I play guitar, just to tune it. Then I have to go through the whole threshold of getting calluses [on the fingers] back, coordination."

Comments

interview audio

www.bbc.co.uk

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-12 01:51 AM | Reply

I feel like i could write a book on the baby boomer's final introduction to reality. I think I will call it, 'Your hero is incontinent.'

Eric clapton has always been pretty sensible, for a rock musician. From listening to him, he seems like he knows and accepts the fact that age is getting the best of him, but at the same time, kind of surprised that he's lived this long. He was in that rare group of 60's and 70's rock icons that were able to kick heroin and cocaine.

#2 | Posted by kudzu at 2018-01-12 08:20 AM | Reply

When you consider his body of work, his longevity, and how good he was when he was at his best, IMHO, he is the best ever. While Hendrix (my favorite) may have played the best licks in history, he didn't last too long and therefore his body of work was only a sampling of Clapton's.

#3 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2018-01-12 04:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

If Clapton's problems over the years had centered only on drink and drugs, I would be an unequivocal fan. His racist phase is a little more difficult to get beyond:

www.msn.com‘i-sabotaged-everything'/ar-AAuAqdR?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=mailsignout

Love his playing, not sure about the man.

#4 | Posted by Foreigner at 2018-01-13 09:08 AM | Reply

^ Not sure if that link works.

www.thedailybeast.com

#5 | Posted by Foreigner at 2018-01-13 09:11 AM | Reply

i feel you, slohand. all the BEST.
you're not alone. long live the blues.

#6 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-01-14 12:30 AM | Reply

It's obvious , he played ultra loud rock guitar for 50 years. I guess he should sue fender for not having aWarning Loud Music can hurt your Hearing

#7 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2018-01-14 09:03 AM | Reply