Monday, January 08, 2018

The Moody Blues star Ray Thomas has died at the age of 76. The flautist and vocalist died suddenly on Thursday, his record label said. Cherry Red Records and Esoteric Recordings said in a statement: "We are deeply shocked by his passing and will miss his warmth, humor and kindness. It was a privilege to have known and worked with him and our thoughts are with his family and his wife, Lee, at this sad time." ... Born in Stourport-on-Severn on 29 December 1941, Thomas started out in blues and soul groups in the 1960s and later formed the Moody Blues alongside Mike Pinder, Denny Laine, Graeme Edge and Clint Warwick. Although the band's roots lay in the blues, their 1964 hit Go Now was a foretaste of the lush, orchestral sound that came to be called progressive rock.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Their 1967 album Days of Future Passed is a prog-rock landmark, and Thomas's flute solo on the single Nights in White Satin one of its defining moments.

Thomas wrote several songs for the band, including the trippy Legend of a Mind and Veteran Cosmic Rocker.

Comments

"No, n-n-no he's outside looking in..."

RIP

#1 | Posted by Doc_Sarvis at 2018-01-08 06:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Sad.

RIP Ray.

You were the only band that I have paid to see more than one time.

#2 | Posted by 726 at 2018-01-08 07:59 AM | Reply

My boat sails stormy seas
Battles oceans filled with tears
At last my port's in view
Now that I've discovered you

#3 | Posted by 726 at 2018-01-08 08:08 AM | Reply

Question - The Moody Blues

#4 | Posted by kudzu at 2018-01-08 09:11 AM | Reply

You were the only band that I have paid to see more than one time.

#2 | POSTED BY 726

I paid to see Pink Floyd 3 times. I saw The Moody Blues twice. I saw Yes twice. In my mind, these three bands are all somehow linked.

No other bands even came close to the amount and the quality of top-shelf rock music these bands put out. This is a part of our lives that is over, I'm sad to say. Not only are the physical members of the bands done for, but the understanding of the musicianship and the technical ability simply doesn't exist in popular music anymore.

RIP, Ray. RIP, highly talented musicians.

#5 | Posted by kudzu at 2018-01-08 09:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

So sorry to see this talented rocker pass away before the Rock n Roll HOF induction this year.

#6 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-08 09:49 AM | Reply

#5 I have lost track how many times I saw The Moody Blues, but I remember one time it was three times in the same year. They never disappointed. Time Traveler is great to sit and listen to on a cold snowy day.

I wish I could have seen their Red Rocks concert.

#7 | Posted by 726 at 2018-01-08 11:40 AM | Reply

Ray Thomas and Ian Anderson inspired me to learn to play the flute in college to jam with friends.

And the Moody Blues were the background music to more highs than I can count... or remember.

People remember them more as a 70's band, but they started early on in the 60's with what became progressive rock concept albums.... the music of our lives back then, along with King Crimson, Pink Floyd, Yes, and others.

He wrote, and sang, Legend of a Mind.... better known as "Timothy Leary is dead". The flute solo is iconic classic rock.

www.youtube.com

#8 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-08 12:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The Moody Blues Hall of Fame Full concert 2000 @ Royal Albert Hall.

www.youtube.com

#9 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-08 01:03 PM | Reply

John Lodge
@JohnLodgeMusic
Ray and I have been on this magical journey through life together since we were 14...two young kids from Birmingham who reached for the stars...and we made it together. El Riot you will always be by my side #moodyblues @rockhall #Moodiescruise

He's died just months shy of their induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. At least he lived long enough to know it would finally happen.

more at

www.rollingstone.com

#10 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-08 01:17 PM | Reply

The Moody Blues could be almost laughably pretentious (the spoken-word parts that close "Nights" and begin "See-Saw" have not aged well, in my opinion). Many other bands in the 70s especially -- Yes, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, ELP, Led Zeppelin, Rush and on down the line -- could also cause one to cringe from overreach.

And still... I admit to loving it anyway. Even after fully embracing punk and subsequent indie styles of music, the Yes Album, for example, remains among my very favorite records of all time. Overreach suggests ambition, and ambition means you're not afraid to take chances and go all in.

I took a survey-of-music course in college, and my professor was a lot of fun. He had this weird little stereo system on wheels that he could roll outside on warm, sunny days. A combination of baby carriage and boombox on steroids, it was rather cheesy to look at. But to my surprise, it actually reproduced music with more than respectable audio fidelity. The course covered everything from Gregorian chants to classical to jazz to rock & roll and r&b. I still remember my prof cranking the Moodies' "Question" in the warm sunshine at a campus amphitheater, and it rolled over me like a glorious cloak of emotional and musical complexity. I would love to relive that day.

Rest in peace, Ray.

#11 | Posted by cbob at 2018-01-08 05:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thanks for sharing, CBOB.

#12 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-08 11:36 PM | Reply

Thanks for sharing, CBOB.

#13 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-08 11:36 PM | Reply