Sunday, January 07, 2018

The Australian city of Sydney has experienced its hottest weather in 79 years with temperatures in the region hitting as high as 47.3C (117F).

Comments

The Western Desert lives and breathes
In forty-five degrees.

--That bald dude from Midnight Oil

#1 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-07 03:22 PM | Reply

#2 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-01-07 04:07 PM | Reply

Unfortunately, the deniers aren't going to change their minds until Rush Limbaugh tells them to.

#3 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-07 04:25 PM | Reply

Halfway between here and Sydney the temperature is perfect.

#4 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-01-07 05:55 PM | Reply

4: If we were to average your IQ with that of Stephen Hawking we might get ~100.
But only because yours is far south of 80.

#5 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2018-01-07 08:34 PM | Reply

117 degrees? That is HOT! Last Thursday it was -20 with windchill here in lower Michigan. Average the two regions and we are talking about comfortable temperatures.

#6 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 10:34 PM | Reply

Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 10:34 PM | Reply

Lucky duck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#7 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-07 10:35 PM | Reply

Laura,

I can handle cold weather (in 6 days I'll be in Detroit passing out food to the homeless) but sub-zero temps just suck. I can't fathom why you think it's Utopia.

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 10:40 PM | Reply

I can't fathom why you think it's Utopia.

Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 10:40 PM | Reply

I'm a fat sassy hussy. I LOVE the cold.

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-07 10:44 PM | Reply

I understand liking the cold, but where do you draw the line? At what point does the cold become so extreme that you don't love it? Genuinely curious.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 10:47 PM | Reply

Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 10:47 PM | Reply

No clue honestly. I was in 30below in a t shirt and light jacket in North Dakota in 98 and I was fine. I don't know. I guess I'm not alright upstairs.

#11 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-07 10:52 PM | Reply

117 degrees ,yeah that's rough. Hot spell it will pass . It's summer time down there.

#12 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-07 10:59 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

Wow! You're a warrior. That's insane IMO.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 11:02 PM | Reply

I can handle these temps when properly bundled up. I just hate using the snow blower during these temps. The snow is SO powdery and the wind swirls so no matter which direction I have the chute facing the wind always manages to blow the snow right into my face. We have more snow coming and it's going to suck.

#14 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 11:04 PM | Reply

Wow! You're a warrior. That's insane IMO.

Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 11:02 PM | Reply

Ummmmmmmmmmm I agree with the latter. I'm a Kansan. We'[re a crazy bunch.

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-07 11:06 PM | Reply

Lightly dressed in 30-below defines crazy. Like I said, I can handle cold but what you are talking about is, well...

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-07 11:11 PM | Reply

Pffft. That's nothing. I climbed to the top of Mt Whitney when it was -45F below zero in my drawers. Then I farted on it, pissed my initials in the snow, and slid down all the way on my keister.

#17 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-07 11:31 PM | Reply

Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-07 11:31 PM | Reply

A pissing contest ehhhhhhh???? I have to bow out. I have no "weapon" to aim with.

#18 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-07 11:44 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I forgot to mention I was singing "Glory, Glory Hallelujah!!!" on the way down...

#19 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-07 11:46 PM | Reply

Well, it rained all night the day I left,
The weather it was dry
Was so hot I froze to death
Susana don't you cry

#20 | Posted by bruceaz at 2018-01-08 12:10 AM | Reply

But we're cold as bloody hell here on the east coast, so it all evens out, right, deniers? - #2 | Posted by Angrydad at 2018-01-07 04:07 PM

I don't think that anyone is denying that the temperatures in Sidney have finally reached as high as they were back in 1939.

#21 | Posted by Avigdore at 2018-01-08 11:54 AM | Reply