Saturday, January 06, 2018

Pew Research Center: About six-in-ten Americans (61%) say the use of marijuana should be legalized, reflecting a steady increase over the past decade, according to a Pew Research Center survey. The survey, conducted in October, finds that the share of U.S. adults who support marijuana legalization is little changed from about a year ago -- when 57% favored it -- but it is nearly double what it was in 2000 (31%). As in the past, there are wide generational and partisan differences in views of marijuana legalization. Majorities of Millennials (70%), Gen Xers (66%) and Baby Boomers (56%) say the use of marijuana should be legal. Only among the Silent Generation does a greater share oppose (58%) than favor (35%) marijuana legalization.

Comments

'Legalizing pot' is the new 'legalizing gay marriage', regardless of what the American Taliban-GOP led DOJ does with the current laws.

#1 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2018-01-06 07:27 PM | Reply

We have pot shops all over Washington state. There have been zero issues and it's heavily regulated. I don't partake myself because I can be tested at anytime, as it's not worth losing my job/pension/health insurance with just 5+ years to retirement.

The pot shops offer a wide variety of pot, and have different strains that do different things. Also have edibles and oils. It's a legit business.

Weed is a plant that grows out of the ground, it should have never been illegal in the first place.

#2 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-01-06 07:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#2 I was pre-62 once. lol

#3 | Posted by fresno500 at 2018-01-06 08:23 PM | Reply

"We have pot shops all over Washington state."

Yes we do, I remember when pot became legal the town city council that I live in got into a big panic and claimed we would never allow legal pot be sold in this town!

at this time there is now 2 pot shops that I can easily get to just by using my wheelchair to get too them with no problems and no one seems to mine that pot shop are around.

Its like having a liquor store a few blocks away, no big deal

#4 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2018-01-06 08:36 PM | Reply

Punchy reminds me of the ABC stores around here. Used to be no one wanted them in the good parts of town. Then everyone got pissed that you had to go to the bad parts of town now one of the nicest ABC stores in the city is right down the street from me. In fact they had to move it from where it was several years ago when they remodeled it. Now the store is 50% bottles that run 50 bucks or more a fifth 40% 30-50 bucks and just 10% rotgut.

I imagine if pot ever gets legalized in this state it will be the same way no pot shops in the upscale areas then someone will notice and start a gourmet one that will be super nice.

#5 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-01-06 09:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

No no no. I prefer we keep arresting 60 college students for 1 oz of weed.

Barney Fife keeping us safe.

#6 | Posted by fresno500 at 2018-01-06 11:38 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Barney took my stash, in Greensboro.

#7 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-01-07 12:56 AM | Reply

It will be legal eventually. Dinosaurs like Sessions will inevitably keel over and younger, more amenable folks will take their place.

#8 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-07 02:11 AM | Reply

I fully believe the stark flip to opposing laws against pot are tied to the realization that the Drug War has been a complete and utter failure; a DETRIMENT upon our society. That's the only thing I can think of that would influence people in such a short time period to shift.

Doubling the amount of people who are now in favor of legal recreational pot, not just medi-pot, but recreational pot, within less than 2 decades is absolutely amazing. Jeff Sessions outed himself in the worst era possible.

Welcome, Jefferson, to modernity.

#9 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-01-07 05:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Poll: 4-in-10 Americans are supervisors, CEOs, managers, etc. who know what happens when workers show up stoned or under the effect of long-term use of marijuana.

#10 | Posted by e1g1 at 2018-01-07 07:28 AM | Reply

"Poll numbers like that just prove that 61% of Americans are Black people, Latinos or dirty, smelly hippies. We got to fill up those private prisons somehow."

Jeffrey Beauregard Sessions

#11 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-07 08:19 AM | Reply

Has there been any studies or reports developed that have shown a decrease in prosecutions or some sort of financial benefit to states such as Washington and Colorado in the aftermath of their laws going into effect?

I'd be curious to see how it's going.

Tax revenue up?
Jails and court system handling fewer cases?

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-07 10:04 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#10 | POSTED BY E1G1

Like when my manager comes back from his "break" stinking like a skunk?

Are these fictional managers you speak of letting their underlings down a 6 pack of Bud at lunch?

#13 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-01-07 10:20 AM | Reply

"Tax revenue up?
Jails and court system handling fewer cases?"

Well, yes for CO. Tax revenue is up--no surprise--while drunk driving incidents have dropped. Here's an insurance website explaining as much:
www.thezebra.com

#14 | Posted by Danforth at 2018-01-07 10:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Thanks Danforth. I'm posting something that's not positive about it but I will admit I like your source and I think my source is perhaps biased but it quotes the District attorney of Denver and stats from his office.

calmusa.org

from the link....

Since the legalization of recreational marijuana in Colorado:
•in 2013 traffic related marijuana deaths have increased 48%,
•marijuana related emergency room visits have increased 49%, and marijuana related calls to the poison center have increased 100%.
•According to the Colorado Bureau of Investigations in 2015 statewide homicides in Colorado rose 14.7 % over the previous year. Pueblo, Colorado had the highest homicide rate in the state with 11.1 killings per 100,000 residents.
•Aurora, Colorado's homicide rate more than doubled from 2014.
•Additionally more places in Colorado were robbed and more thefts occurred, especially cars, as 193,115 motor vehicles were reported stolen, up 27.7 % in 2015 from the previous year.
•In 2015, sexual assaults rose 10% in Colorado with Denver, Aurora, Lakewood, Westminster and Pueblo all reporting higher numbers as well.

In the city of Denver since the legalization of recreational marijuana:
•the number of crimes in Denver has grown by about 44 %, according to annual figures the city reported to the National Incident Based Reporting System.
•In 2015 in Denver alone crime rose in every neighborhood in the city. The murder rate hit a decade high, 1059 more cars were broken into, there were 903 more auto thefts, 321 more aggravated assaults and 231 more homes were broken into compared to 2014.

#15 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-07 10:47 AM | Reply

I'm not claiming what I posted is to be gospel. I have hoped for the results most here have hoped for from the legalization of marijuana......lower criminal prosecutions and way less money being spent on senseless prosecutions....and to a lesser extent....tax revenue from legal sales.

But I suspect we are in for some debate on this issue.....

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-07 10:51 AM | Reply

But I suspect we are in for some debate on this issue.....

You think?

Not enough data for solid conclusions plus two sides firmly entrenched in their positions. Yeah lots of debate, probably mostly meaningless in terms of getting people to change opinions.

What will change opinions is people finding out that people they know, but never suspected, are smokers and that they are still decent people with good jobs, good work ethic etc. Which now that legalization is closer and social acceptance is almost complete will happen more and more.

In the mean time I will keep doing what I have always done with any law I don't agree with. Do what I want, try and not be busted but deal with the consequences if I am.

#17 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-01-07 11:24 AM | Reply

Remember when 74% of Americans supported the Iraq invasion. Yeah pills aren't always the best way to make policy decisions.

Going to a hotel in Boulder and smelling the stench of marryjane makes me vote against legalization.

But I am for decriminalization....

#18 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-01-07 11:47 AM | Reply

"Yeah pills aren't always the best way to make policy decisions." - #18 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-01-07 11:47 AM

Pills?

Uppers?

Or downers?

#19 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-07 12:12 PM | Reply

if you're interested in what's happening in colorado, pertaining to herb, check out "the cannabist"..it's part of the style section in the Denver Post
www.thecannabist.co

#20 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-01-07 04:22 PM | Reply

I think we'll have a random drug test tomorrow. Better yet. Tuesday after the National Championship.

#21 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2018-01-07 10:16 PM | Reply

Its always the same problem. We don't live in a Democracy, despite the constant propaganda insisting otherwise.

#22 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-01-08 07:54 AM | Reply

"But I am for decriminalization...."

I always love that position. If you decriminalize something then, in essence, you are legalizing that substance. If it isn't against the law, it's legal.

#23 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-08 08:49 AM | Reply

Politicians are taking a very long time to come to grips with the Internet. Both sides still try to cling to things they used to be able to sell but can't anymore. In the 50s, you could tell a populace that a lot of research was done and and a plant has been found to be really harmful for everyone and they should trust their government. In the 21st century, all it takes is 5 minutes on Google to know how big of a lie that is.

#24 | Posted by humtake at 2018-01-08 11:54 AM | Reply

" In the 50s, you could tell a populace that a lot of research was done and and a plant has been found to be really harmful for everyone and they should trust their government."

By the time the sixties rolled around a good percentage of Americans realized the truth. The Vietnam War had a lot to do with that, we could read newspapers and magazines which convinced us that the war was a terrible mistake. Those were the days of the "silent majority" though, who elected Richard Nixon. That same group going under several different names, today Trump supporters or Tea Partiers have continuously been proven wrong on just about everything but there are still too many of them and they are more likely to vote than most other Americans. Eventually, demographics is going to cull the herd and their power in the electorate will diminish.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-08 12:01 PM | Reply

the record number of people moving to this state has nothing to do with your crime stats? and those stats are highly dubious, i live in denver.

#26 | Posted by cjk85 at 2018-01-08 12:24 PM | Reply

I'm sure it does and as I said, it references a letter from the Denver DA but the site it's coming through is what is "dubious" to me. It appears to be a strong anti-pot website.

#27 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-08 12:32 PM | Reply

#24 | Posted by humtake

That is very observant of you!

Too bad most ----- still don't appear to know how to properly use the internet yet.

#28 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-08 05:23 PM | Reply