Friday, January 05, 2018

Rick Wilson: Steve Bannon's spectacular fall from grace in Trump World is a big, salty, delicious bowl of schadenfreude from the political gods in celebration of the new year. Bannon wasn't just one of Trump's most senior aides and an architect of the destruction of the Republican Party; he was the multi-shirted, red-eyed White House troll, leaking tales of his brilliance to a constellation of reporters in the ostensibly hated mainstream media. ... Now, like two rats in a bag, Trump and Bannon are tearing at one another in a delicious public spat that has every possible bit of drama, except Bannon drunkenly bellowing for a round of fisticuffs with all comers and Trump offering to compare the length of their relative manhoods on live television. They deserve one another in so many ways.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In 2015, Bannon promised to destroy my career because I dared stand up to Trump. He put his minions to work doing just that, even dragging my kids into the fight. Bannon even sent an email to a friend of mine saying, "This is going to be fun."

Sorry, Steve. I'm still here and still kicking.

You were right about one thing ... this is fun. For me, at least.

Comments

While this may generate a lot of news articles and blog posts, in the long run, it is not gonna end well.

For either of them.

The question that should be asked is what will the Republican Party look like when this battle is over.

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-01-05 08:08 PM | Reply

It has definitely been a good two years for Rick Wilson.
I hadn't heard of him nor read anything by him, pre-2016.

#2 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-01-05 08:34 PM | Reply

Apparently this has been an open secret in DC for some time:

"Trump is a furious, shallow, weak man reacting in a spasm of self-indulgent fury to excerpts from a book repeating the taped, verbatim views of some of his most senior aides.

Their views were consonant with what White House reporters know to be true: shock, contempt, and dismay at Trump's mental and moral vacuum, and that they've pledged themselves to a man so spectacularly incapable of executing his duties as commander in chief they can hardly believe the unique mixture of horror and absurdity they feel toward their boss."

It's shocking that the Republicans in Congress are going to any and all lengths to protect this president. It makes you wonder about their mental and moral vacuums.

#3 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-05 08:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

@#3 ... Apparently this has been an open secret in DC for some time: ...

If you've been in the NYC area and have read Page 6 of the NY Post, it's apparently been an open secret for decades.

#4 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-01-05 08:52 PM | Reply

LAMP

The Republican Party will be whatever Rebekah Mercer says it is. Ms. Mercer and her father, Robert, are billionaires who contribute lavishly to the anti-establishment agenda. She's a major stockholder in Breitbart News and, until recently, was the primary source of Bannon's money.

Rebekah and Robert prefer to avoid the limelight but they are well known in the anti-establishment circle. When she says jump they say "how high."

If you've ever wondered why Donald Trump is trying to destroy the "establishment" Republican Party, look no further than Rebekah Mercer. She's made it clear that's her mission in life and no cost is too high to pay.

#5 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-05 09:00 PM | Reply

Bannon won't do this though since he's got money to make and a meth habit to support.

#6 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-05 09:03 PM | Reply

@#6 ... Theoretically Bannon could end Trump's Presidency at any time by simply giving us the truth either about how Trump got help from Russia or how Trump is unfit for office. ...

One very interesting aspect of the Wolff book is the tapes that Mr Wolff says he has.

I would expect that Mr Mueller is looking over the quotes in the book quite carefully, and making a list of those he wants to call in for depositions under oath.

If Mr Mueller has the Wolff tapes (why wouldn't he?) then the investigation could become very interesting if Mr Mueller starts to compare what some people have told him under oath previously vs what they have said on the Wolff tapes.

Are there more people being flipped because of what they said to a person sitting in the West Wing with a blue pass?

imo, Mr Mueller's investigation just added at least another year on it, with a couple three more indictments and plea deals.

#7 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-01-05 09:17 PM | Reply

And a sad part of all this for me is what appears to be my White House being taken over by Amateur Hour flunkies.

I mean, really, if the Trump Administration looks this incompetent to me, then how are other world leaders looking at it?

Pres Trump saying that his button is bigger is not in the least reassuring. On the contrary, it is very frightening.

If you have superior power, you don't need to flaunt it. Pres Trump's "my button is bigger" taunt could be taken as a weakness.

#8 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-01-05 09:23 PM | Reply

LL, I think recently turned Independent Joe Scarborough shares your concern. Here's how he ends a recent op ed:

We are a nation that spent the past 100 years inventing the modern age, winning World War I, defeating Hitler and winning World War II, and liberating half of Europe by beating the Soviets in the Cold War. But today we find ourselves dangerously adrift at home and disconnected from the allies abroad that made so many of those triumphs possible. The world wonders how the United States will survive Donald Trump. And I ask, what will finally move Republicans to deliver a non-­negotiable ultimatum to this unstable president? Will they dare place their country's interests above their own political fears? Or will they move to end this American tragedy only when there is nothing left to lose?

www.washingtonpost.com

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-05 09:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

@#9 ... LL, I think recently turned Independent Joe Scarborough ...

For the record, up until a few years ago I was a registered Republican. I didn't fully agree with the social policies that the Republicans espoused, but I did have agreement with their fiscal policies. So in that grey area, I tended to vote Republican more than Democratic.

However, a few years ago, I saw the Republican Party starting to transform into something I did not want to be associated with (think Tea Party). I saw too much bigotry and hatred coming to the fore. Yea, I know that was not the public face of the Tea Party, but that appeared to me to be the type of candidates they proffered for election.

That is when the Republican Party lost me. They embraced the Tea Party for party over country purposes.

The policy of winning of all costs, because winning matters more than what happens to the Country.

So I became an unaffiliated voter. Here in Connecticut, we have an Independent Party, but it seems to e just a bunch of Republicans who do not want to be called Republicans.

To be honest I feel their pain. And their lack of a party to call Home.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-01-05 09:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

oops ... typo

it seems to e just

s/b

it seems to be just

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2018-01-05 09:55 PM | Reply

Republicans went from

Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?
to
"speak softly, and carry a big stick."
to
Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.
to
It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
to
You can fool some of the people all the time, and those are the ones you want to concentrate on.
to
Will someone from his depleted and food starved regime please inform him that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!

#12 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-01-05 09:58 PM | Reply

Sorry Gal, I don't give a crap what that piece of crap Joe Scarborough has to say about anything. He should be off the air because he and Mika are largely responsible for launching Trump's political career back whey they fawned over him during many, many shows. They are both reprehensible and their opinions about anything should be ignored and never repeated.

#13 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-06 10:53 AM | Reply

"Let me say that again, because it was a significant decision point for me. When the Republican Party embraced the Tea Party and all its evils, it embraced the concept of party over Country. "

That only occurred to you when the Tea Party became a big part of the party? How about when Richard Nixon had a secret plan to end the Vietnam War while secretly committing treason to actually extend it four more years and cost 20,000 more American lives? How about when Reagan also committed treason and made a deal with the Ayatollah to hold our hostages until after the election to enable that lying piece of filth to win in 1980? How about when GW Bush lied us into war in Iraq costing thousands of American lives, hundreds of thousands of Iraqi lives and trillions of dollars? Your willingness to go along with the Republican Party until they embraced the Tea Party? Sort of silly IMHO. Literally thousands of Americans and probably millions of foreigners are dead today because of the Republican Party but the Tea Party was where you drew the line?
You are the problem, you are not and never will be the solution to the problem. You're a sad joke.

#14 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-06 10:59 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"So I became an unaffiliated voter"

congrats.

Of course, you'll see Danni despises "fence sitters" more than hard core partisan republicans.

LOL