Thursday, January 04, 2018

A new law that took effect this week in Oregon will allow residents in rural counties to pump their own gas -- a divergence from the state's decades-long history of having attendants pump gas for drivers. Under House Bill 2482, which took effect Monday, retailers in counties with a population of less than 40,000 are allowed to have self-service gas pumps. ... Some commenters were angry and perturbed by the possibility of having to pump their own gas in the cold, while those from other states scoffed. "I don't even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonian . . . I say NO THANKS! I don't like to smell like gasoline!" one woman wrote on KTVL's Facebook post. "No! Disabled, seniors, people with young children in the car need help. Not to mention getting out of your car with transients around and not feeling safe. This is a very bad idea. Grrr," another woman wrote.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"I've lived in this state all my life and I REFUSE to pump my own gas . . . This [is] a service only qualified people should perform. I will literally park at the pump and wait until someone pumps my gas."

Comments

I thought that law was there to create jobs for those who otherwise might be homeless.

Does Oregon really want more homeless people?

#1 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-04 11:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

RESIST!

#2 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-01-05 05:26 AM | Reply

So go somewhere that they pump your gas. Full service still exists.

#3 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-01-05 06:13 AM | Reply

I miss the old days of full service filling stations. The bell that would ring signalling you needed some of that delicious smelling leaded gasoline. The attendant that would wash your windshield check your tires and fluids and if time allotted you got yourself a REAL soda pop from a real purty glass bottle. Oooooooooooooolala those were the days.

#4 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-05 06:50 AM | Reply

"Full service still exists."

Baloney. Here in S. Florida, I don't care who you are, you pump your own gas, check your own oil, check your own air pressure in your tires, clean your own windshield. When corporations can save money by getting you to do what they have been paying others to do they will.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-05 07:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hate having it pumped for me.

#6 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-01-05 07:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#4- then you would wait for 10 min. for the attendant to spill gas all over your car, top off the filler, and then rip you off for a quart of oil you don't need.

#7 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-01-05 07:38 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Someone needs some cheese with their whine this morning.

#8 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-05 07:41 AM | Reply

"#5-Right, which is why some stations charge more to pump it for you. I can think of 3 full serve stations near me.
I hate having it pumped for me."

When I was young you didn't pay more for full service, you got it everywhere. No one pumped their own gas and gas was 30 cents a gallon. Sometimes there would be price wars between station at intersections and you'd get full service for as little as 16 cents per gallon. People today see corporate profits at all time highs and don't even understand why or who is paying for that. We are because we accept less service, less of everything because we have been conditioned to do so. People in the 60's wouldn't have tolerated the nonsense we do today.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-05 08:28 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

No thanks......I'll take what we have today over that anytime.

#10 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-05 08:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

We have full service here. It is 6 cents more per gallon. When the wind chill is -25 it is 6 cents well spent.

#11 | Posted by 726 at 2018-01-05 08:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

can't argue with that.

#12 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-05 08:48 AM | Reply

#13 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-05 09:09 AM | Reply

#11, when it's that cold, I just get back in the car after starting the pump.

#14 | Posted by Pirate at 2018-01-05 09:10 AM | Reply

#11, when it's that cold, I just get back in the car after starting the pump.

#14 | Posted by Pirate at 2018-01-05 09:10 AM | Reply | Flag:

Bad idea. Static electricity from you rubbing against car seats can produce a spark which will blow you to smithereens.

#15 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-05 09:46 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Yeah..the good old days when vehicles were gas hogs and the station didn't have anything at all like a modern convenience store does today. "

Yeah, who would want a gas station to be able to fix a flat tire or change your oil instead of sell you sodas and potato chips. I may be wrong but I suspect you are about one generation younger than me so you don't really remember how life was before we allowed the corporations to turn gas stations into convenience stores and force us to pump our own gas. You don't even know what you gave up. Service stations used to actually offer us "service." It was flat out stupid for us to give that up willingly.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-05 09:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"I didn't know full service was still a thing anywhere in the U.S. Every gas station I see in Florida is self serve. I'd hate to wait for an attendant, aside from the handful of days a year it's cold here."

Having lived in the era of full service....there was little or no waiting for service. Companies competed with each other based on service because basically they were all selling the same products. So, service was their only way to attract more customers.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-05 10:01 AM | Reply

New Jersey has full service at all stations, not allowed to pump your own gas and our gas is usually cheaper!

Only one or 2 do the windows though.

#18 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-01-05 10:08 AM | Reply

In fact, NJ is moving towards licensing/training pump jockeys. Those spills that amateurs cause to result in big problems down the road for the owners.

#19 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-01-05 10:09 AM | Reply

#13 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-05 09:09 AM | Reply | Flag:

www.redrockauto.net

#20 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-05 10:09 AM | Reply

#9 | Posted by danni

Gas is a commodity priced as low as it can go today. We haven't been in the $0.30/gallon price range in 50 years. Well since most gas stations are "locally" owned small businesses - either a single store or a small group. There are no big corporate profits - that is all up the food chain. Honestly, they don't make squat on the gas itself. They make the money on the items they sell inside. That's part of the reason you don't see tons and tons of Gas/Service stations anymore. They just don't work in today's economic model.

Pumping gas was most stations when I was a child. You pulled up to the close pumps and they pumped for you. My mom did that and my dad always pumped. And pumping your own WAS cheaper then (Mid 70s to mid 80s.) Then it slowly went away here in Michigan.

#21 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-05 10:21 AM | Reply

Yeah..the good old days when the station didn't have anything at all like a modern convenience store does today.
#10 | EBERLY

When I was a young man (1970), a friend's father owned and operated a Sinclair station here in KS. He told us once that the profit margin on gasoline and oil was pennies on the dollar. The only way he stayed in business was with vehicle parts sales and repairs, (all stations then had at least 2 bays) and the sale of things like cigarettes, candy and soda.
Fast forward, 2015, a current friend owned and operated an independent gas/ convenience station. He got into several arguments with his fuel supplier over a variety of issues to the point of being denied fuel delivery. (He's his own worst enemy) But he continued to run the store on cigarette and merchandise sales for a year before finally closing it.
We still have several independent stations pumping fuel for customers for an added 3 or 4 cents a gallon. They have 2 or 4 pumps close to the building marked as full service, the rest are self serve. But they also have convenience type operations as well as vehicle repair, tire sales, etc.
There still isn't much profit in fuel sales. My memory is that when self serve became an option, enough people used them that full service stations couldn't compete and went the way of the Sinclair dinosaur.
Side story, when my daughter was learning to drive I told her that I would teach her the most important thing there was to know about driving. When she asked what that was, I opened the hood to show her how to check the fluid levels. She took one look at the engine and said, "Eww, gross".

#22 | Posted by Whizzo at 2018-01-05 10:27 AM | Reply

#1 TOR

Hell no. There are so many homeless people here it's a health and safety hazard.

#21 PETE

If you want to piss a gas pumper off just hop out and pay for the gas yourself. Their head will explode! The guy was so pissed he almost started swinging at me. lol

#23 | Posted by gavaster at 2018-01-05 10:32 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"It was flat out stupid for us to give that up willingly."

I see your point but the marketplace spoke.....and it turns out there is way more margin in pop and cookies than there is in checking the oil and putting air in your tire.

I insure a full service gas station in Overland Park, KS (the old part) which is in the heart of blue hair women wanting someone to pump their gas. They couldn't be in a better location to pump gas for old folks.

they took the pumps and tanks out a couple years ago. they are just a lube/tire business only at that location. I still have the account.

Nobody wanted to pay a premium for that service.....not even there.

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-05 10:39 AM | Reply

"So I told her, "Change of plan, go to the full serve pump, get $5 worth of gas, smile at the attendant and ask him to check the oil"."

Great advice except that here in Florida she would never be able to find a full service station. Even on the turnpike there are not full service stations.

"I HATE having some moron come up to pump my gas. I stopped in I think NJ and you can't pump your own, I had to wait for the guy to shuffle over put the handle in, pump it, shuffle back with my card and back with my card, etc. I laugh at the people saying only "qualified" people should pump gas - minimum wage can't get another job types are who pump it and I am betting I am more qualified. There is nothing to it. I remember teaching my wife to do it. She was afraid and hated it - until she did it a few times."

My brother was one of those "morons" back in the day who put himself through his first couple of years of college by pumping gas. This was all about eliminating jobs, just like automation will do in stores like Walmart. Fine. When all the service jobs go away and millions are unemployed think about the fact that you could have had some person cleaning your windshield and checking your oil and for the same price you're paying anyway. And BTW, "I HATE having some moron come up to pump my gas."
Do you even realize how condescending and stupid that statement is? Trust me, my brother who pumped gas is a lawyer today who owns one of the biggest law firms in Florida. Think about how your attitude caused you to assume things about people just because they were in a service position.

#25 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-05 10:40 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

They'll be cleaning windows, just at the highway off ramp.

#26 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-01-05 10:41 AM | Reply

"There still isn't much profit in fuel sales."

it's really a loser. Most of your competitive chains are willing to lose money or break even on gas just so they can make big $$$ on the inside sales (pop, cookies, pizza, etc).

Look at how much money those companies are spending on enhancing the inside, the choices in soda, coffee, food, etc.

#27 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-05 10:44 AM | Reply

"There are still auto repair businesses, c-stores (nice ones anyway) have air..usually free air. "

I needed air in my tire the other day because th light on my dash told me so. I had to go to three different stations to find an air pump working and then to put in $1.50 in quarters to make it work and it did so very poorly. When I was a kid air was free. When I was a kid we joked about the idea that someday they would sell us water in bottles, charge us for air. We were quite prescient though we didn't know it at the time. What are the kids of today joking about? Pay to stay alive? Pay for police protection? If I can imagine it, right wingers can dream of it and do it. Fascism is here to stay.

#28 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-05 10:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

--Fascism is here to stay.

Fascism

noun
1. System requiring payment for air pumps. And no full-service gas stations.

#29 | Posted by nullifidian at 2018-01-05 10:56 AM | Reply

assume things about people just because they were in a service position.
#25 | DANNI

The people that pumped the gas in the 60's and 70's that I remember were,
A: The owner and mechanics that worked for business
B: High school students with an interest in autos/ mechanics
C: College students and young people in general willing to work for $$$$

#30 | Posted by Whizzo at 2018-01-05 10:57 AM | Reply

Posted by eberly at 2018-01-05 10:39 AM | Reply

Overland Park where the snooty people live. They don't appreciate customer service like where you and I are from. Damned city bumpkins.

#31 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-05 11:03 AM | Reply

----

That's why you touch metal to discharge the static electricity when you get out.

#32 | Posted by Pirate at 2018-01-05 11:20 AM | Reply

Next thing this'll go into grocery stores and you'll have to scan your own goods and scan your own credit card to pay for it and bag it yourself

#33 | Posted by Petrous at 2018-01-05 11:36 AM | Reply

Posted by Petrous at 2018-01-05 11:36 AM | Reply

That pisses me off every damned time I see those self check out thingies. Irks me to no end.

#34 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-05 11:39 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#34 | LAURAMOHR

Hell, I'll even take 14 items through the '12 or fewer' lane to avoid 'em.

#35 | Posted by Whizzo at 2018-01-05 12:07 PM | Reply

B52s--"Pump"

#36 | Posted by madscientist at 2018-01-05 12:08 PM | Reply

Thanks, now I feel young. I've never been to a full service station as a driver and I couldn't tell you where one is.

#37 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-01-05 12:13 PM | Reply

Hell, I'll even take 14 items through the '12 or fewer' lane to avoid 'em.

Posted by Whizzo at 2018-01-05 12:07 PM | Reply

I don't blame you a bit. I abhor those things especially at the prices stores are selling their stuff for. I DEMAND Customer service.

#38 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-05 12:13 PM | Reply

I just get back in the car after starting the pump.

Won't work here... most pumps won't latch so you have to hold on to it.

#39 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-05 12:21 PM | Reply

#17 | POSTED BY DANNI

Oligopolies allowed inflated prices to support "customer service" to pay your checker/attendant a living wage.

Which is why, gas stations used to have full service, grocery stores had checkers.

There is a balance between too much competition, and too little.

The irony here is that those wanting customer support probably don't shop at WholeFoods (though the prices are getting better, expect customer service to disappear)

Though we talk about wanting customer service few are willing to consistently pay for it. Sure when its cold you might want someone else to pump your gas, but is $0.06 a gallon going to pay him a living wage? Probably not. Did you tip him? Probably not, and tipping in this case would be appropriate.

#40 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2018-01-05 12:27 PM | Reply

in Japan they will guide you in and out, stopping traffic for you.

#41 | Posted by ichiro at 2018-01-05 02:29 PM | Reply

Won't work here... most pumps won't latch so you have to hold on to it.

#39 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-05 12:21 PM | Reply

Its a provincial thing,Edmonton most are latch-able.Go to B.C very few are.

#42 | Posted by Scotty at 2018-01-05 03:32 PM | Reply

Go to B.C very few are.

Yep... that's where I am.

#43 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-05 03:41 PM | Reply

#25 | Posted by danni

Danni - Back in the day is WAYYY different than today. Back in the day as I recall people made an effort. I just remember the on stop in particular this guy really ticked me off. When I got out of my car he was ticked - first time in NJ getting Gas. Acted like he was king sheet and just had absolutely ZERO hustle first shouting and then grumbling. It was like me getting gas was inconveniencing his TV watching - which I am sure it was ( I could see the TV). He was in his 40s and not some kid or an old person. I have been thinking about it since my post. It was for sure NJ because my couple other experiences with it were in NJ too.

As for back in the day you actually knew something and had to take care of the customer. I don't ever remember an issue with any of people pumping gas back then. I remember some experiences but no issues. Today? My impression was they could care less and I am pretty sure it is true for the most part. I really hate to generalize as well but nobody the people that pumped my gas were all Indian/Pakistani or from somewhere in the region. The kind of disinterested people I see in virtually all the party stores and gas stations around. The worst case guy was a Sikh. And I say I hate to generalize because I have friends who are Indian and Pakistani - I think it is the job they are working more than anything.

#44 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-05 04:28 PM | Reply

I'm a native Oregonian & am far from panicking.

#45 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2018-01-06 09:37 AM | Reply

Wedge it on with the gas cap.

#46 | Posted by visitor_ at 2018-01-06 03:35 PM | Reply

Wedge it on with the gas cap.

Posted by visitor_ at 2018-01-06 03:35 PM | Reply

www.amazon.com

#47 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-06 03:40 PM | Reply

Wedge it on with the gas cap.

Attendants turn the pump off.

#48 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-06 03:40 PM | Reply

Jesus danni is a real curmudgeon.

It's just pumping gas and she's in full righteous fury mode lol 😂😬

#49 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-06 06:19 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Jesus danni is a real curmudgeon.

It's just pumping gas and she's in full righteous fury mode lol 😂😬

Posted by jpw at 2018-01-06 06:19 PM | Reply

I'm 100000000% with her on this.

#50 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2018-01-06 06:23 PM | Reply