Wednesday, January 03, 2018

The first thought that comes to mind staring at the photograph above is: This has got to be fake. The B-2 stealth bomber looks practically pasted onto the field. The flag is unfurled just so. The angle feels almost impossible, shot directly down from above. And yet, it's real, the product of lots of planning, some tricky flying, and the luck of the moment. The photographer, Mark Holtzman, has been flying his Cessna 206 around taking aerial images for years, since before the digital-photography days, and he's developed his technique for just this sort of shot. ... "For me, my goal was to put the B-2 inside the stadium, preferably in the grass. And I don't want to block any of the names or other stuff. For this picture, if you block the flag, it takes away from it. So, first you're trying to find the B-2 as it is flying toward you. Everything is fluid. I am moving around. They have to be on their target and you have to be on yours. "

Comments

Black Budgets Matter!

#1 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-03 08:01 PM | Reply

YAY KILLING MACHINES WOOHOO!!!!

#2 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-01-03 08:45 PM | Reply

That is a beautiful picture - fit for a poster.

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2018-01-03 10:38 PM | Reply

waste of money I can see the "stealth" bomber just fine.

#4 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-01-03 10:41 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Basically the difference between using a camera instead of a phone to take pictures.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2018-01-03 10:47 PM | Reply

I hate these commercials for the MIC.

#6 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-04 09:08 AM | Reply

I think the most interesting part of this is that some private citizen photographer and his kid in a cesna prop plane are talking to the stealth bomber crew coordinating a pic shot. "They know me now." It's like a movie line used early in the film to setup the plot point later in the movie where the unlikely hero has to stop the bombing run with a phone call or dial in the hit on the alines with a call. "It's me, george, you know me! The target is at xx/y/z!"

#7 | Posted by techres at 2018-01-04 10:45 AM | Reply

Great picture. Too bad it's taken over a game that ended with UGA winning because the OU coach decided to call the worst plays ever thought of in a red zone situation instead of relying on the Heisman winner to win the game.

#8 | Posted by humtake at 2018-01-04 11:42 AM | Reply

I can see it! ...Not very stealthy... :)

#9 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-04 12:22 PM | Reply

Amazing shot. Crappy game. Fire Mike Stoops already.

#10 | Posted by gavaster at 2018-01-04 12:24 PM | Reply

#8 HUM

Squib kick was the dumbest move of the game, IMO. Wouldn't have been OT if not for that. But not leaning on Baker to get you the W in OT? Insanity.

#11 | Posted by gavaster at 2018-01-04 12:25 PM | Reply

FAKE NOOOZE!

It's stealth! YOU CAN"T SEE IT!

- Trumpterds.

I hate these commercials for the MIC.

#6 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2018-01-04 09:08 AM | Reply | Flag:

Question is, how much $$$ did the Rose Bowl demand from the DOD to do the flyover?

#12 | Posted by 726 at 2018-01-04 12:42 PM | Reply

I was at a friends house in Pasadena for the Rose Bowl and we watched the B-2 flyover from his house in the Arroyo, always impressive to see this engineering marvel roar overhead.

I hate these commercials for the MIC.

#6 | POSTED BY OLDWHISKEYSOUR AT 2018-01-04 09:08 AM

Then move somewhere in the world where these planes don't protect your grumpy old ---. Not a lot of options but I hear that Lebanon, Mogadishu or Sana'a are "lovely" this time of year.

#13 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-04 12:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"we watched the B-2 flyover "

another half a million dollars down the tubes

sincerely

the fiscally responsible tax dollar "champions"

#14 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2018-01-04 12:56 PM | Reply

"Then move somewhere in the world where these planes don't protect your grumpy old ---"

but they do have low or no taxes. and they certainly do not have healthcare, maybe you should move there

#15 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2018-01-04 01:00 PM | Reply

Personally, I like seeing where my tax dollars are going occasionally.

#16 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2018-01-04 04:56 PM | Reply

That could easily be photoshopped

#17 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-01-04 05:10 PM | Reply

waste of money I can see the "stealth" bomber just fine.

#4 | POSTED BY TAOWARRIOR

I guess you've never seen one.

LOL that's the point. SB'ers have such a low 'profile' that they just about disappear right in front of your eyes!! I saw one on a sunny day arching over a harbor. I had the view same as this picture except from underneath the bomber. As the plane turned my view of plane went from looking at bottom...to looking at it's back end/jets/wings from astern. The plane literally disappeared from view. Keep in mind it was clear and sunny.

So imagine being stationary and a plane sweeps down on you. You can see it coming, passing over you, and flying away. Well with a SB you don't see it coming (too low profile), you might see it over head, and you won't see it going either!!

#18 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2018-01-05 08:27 AM | Reply

Yikes Dave did your sense of humor freeze up in this cold snap?

Also the reason they are called stealth has nothing to do with their visibility but their radar profile. The side effects of low radar profile is the visibility profile you describe, but had the shape of a brick been good for a radar profile they would have used that.

#19 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2018-01-05 08:48 AM | Reply

All the patriotism I can handle right there. Pretty cool shot.

#20 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-05 11:40 AM | Reply