Wednesday, January 03, 2018

Donald Trump's former chief strategist Steve Bannon has described the Trump Tower meeting between the president's son and a group of Russians during the 2016 election campaign as "treasonous" and "unpatriotic", according to an explosive new book seen by the Guardian. ... speaking to author Michael Wolff, warned that the investigation into alleged collusion with the Kremlin will focus on money laundering and predicted: "They're going to crack Don Junior like an egg on national TV. ... Even if you thought that this was not treasonous, or unpatriotic, or bad ---, and I happen to think it's all of that, you should have called the FBI immediately."

Comments

Buckle up folks, this ride could get bumpy.

#1 | Posted by taxman at 2018-01-03 10:45 AM | Reply

Bannon is creating space between himself and his recent god. Trump's attorneys are sure to prevent him from reading what Bannon said, to prolong the inevitability of Mueller's firing and Donald's incapacitating stroke.

#2 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-03 10:50 AM | Reply

Nothing Burgers are carcinogenic. Who knew?

#3 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-03 10:51 AM | Reply | Funny: 3

I think Trump knew yesterday, hence the Tweetstorm.

#4 | Posted by taxman at 2018-01-03 10:53 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Treasonous is the correct word. Unpatriotic is the correct word.

I think Bannon would have kept these words to himself had he not come to believe Trump is going down.

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2018-01-03 11:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Besides accusing the Trump campaign of treason, he also acknowledges that Breitbart is not a legitimate news source.

"Bannon went on, Wolff writes, to say that if any such meeting had to take place, it should have been set up "in a Holiday Inn in Manchester, New Hampshire, with your lawyers who meet with these people". Any information, he said, could then be "dump[ed] ... down to Breitbart or something like that, or maybe some other more legitimate publication"."

#6 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-01-03 12:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#1 - Absolutely. Bannon is trying to create distance between him and the Trump campaign. He may claim he won't be a witness but it sure sounds like he's signaling to Mueller that he's willing to talk.

#7 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-01-03 12:09 PM | Reply

Trump's attorneys are sure to prevent him from reading what Bannon said
#2 | POSTED BY ZED

They may try but Jr, Jared and Ivanka will not doubt throwing tantrums over Bannon's allegation.

#8 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-01-03 12:22 PM | Reply

Agreed, but this is nothing that hasn't been trumpeted (see what I did there) on the DR for 8 months, you guys could have written this book with a Hans like compendium of posts.

The irony here is that Bannon has come out in full agreement with the DR Left.

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-03 12:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

.....And there goes the alt right.

Trump has long offended fans of law, the military, and Christ and now he's pissed off the alt right.

Does he have any American fans left?

#10 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-03 02:10 PM | Reply

Bannon is a snake, who'd have guessed?

#11 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-03 02:11 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Trump's attorneys are sure to prevent him from reading what Bannon said

Game On: Trump Throws Bannon Under Bus

#12 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-03 02:13 PM | Reply

Does he have any American fans left?

#10 | Posted by Tor

I'd wait to see how the base reacts before declaring Trump friendless.

#13 | Posted by jpw at 2018-01-03 02:14 PM | Reply

If Bannon is saying it, will the right start to believe it?

And if it wasn't so bad, why would Bannon say it was treasonous?

#14 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-03 02:15 PM | Reply

As much as I'd like this to be true, why would/should I believe a word Steve Bannon says?

#15 | Posted by qcp at 2018-01-03 02:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Brietbart vs. Fox...this should be good. can't wait to hear what alex jones and sean hannity have to say. Bannon is just as
vicious as the trump faction, but more articulate and fewer restrictions.

#16 | Posted by ABlock at 2018-01-03 02:22 PM | Reply

This is what happens when the two most despicable architects of our modern day political travesty turn on each other. lol

#17 | Posted by moder8 at 2018-01-03 02:22 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Obviously Bannon is speaking Truth here. Why else would Trump flip on him?

#18 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2018-01-03 02:24 PM | Reply

Stock up
www.amazon.com

#19 | Posted by bored at 2018-01-03 02:26 PM | Reply

What a moron.

He essentially just admitted that he's guilty of misprision of treason.

#20 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-01-03 02:30 PM | Reply

#15 | POSTED BY QCP

Because he is/was a pro-Trump Conservative on the inside...

#21 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-03 02:33 PM | Reply

"I'd wait to see how the base reacts before declaring Trump friendless.
They very well may dump Bannon and Breitbart might go down the tubes ala The Blaze and Glenn Beck who became a pariah after he came out against Trump (if memory serves)."

That was before Trump's base was convinced they couldn't trust even Fox news.

#22 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-03 02:34 PM | Reply

The irony here is that Bannon has come out in full agreement with the DR Left.

A lot more people than the "DR left" thought that Trump Tower Russia meetup was treasonous. A foreign enemy says they have dirt on your political opponent and you meet with them? That's a massive scandal even without all the other stuff that has come to light.

#23 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-03 02:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 6

"The irony here is that Bannon has come out in full agreement with the DR Left."

Because he's telling them what they want to hear.

That's the beauty of irony...a lying POS is now preaching gospel the second he tells you what you want to hear.

I have no reason to think he's lying now....except that he's been a serial liar in the past. I happen to think that should matter.

my advice......control our emotions and consider the source. Yes...I get the environment and tweets, etc....but Bannon is a bad dude and I've always thought that about him.

He doesn't deserve to be believed just because he happens to be telling you what you want to hear.

I think we all know the truth is harder to come by than that.....and the truth usually comes from people who regularly tell the truth.

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 02:46 PM | Reply | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 2

#21, that's my point. As with every other member of Trump's clown car of hacks and yes-men Bannon has no credibility. I'm skeptical at best, this feels like a con.

#25 | Posted by qcp at 2018-01-03 02:49 PM | Reply

Treason is defined as "levying war against the United States or adhering to its enemies." While Trump's actions can certainly be described as that in the abstract, I believe the provision is intended to be used in the wartime context. I'm not sure Russia can be described as an "enemy" in that context, even though they attempt to subvert the US in many nonviolent ways.

#26 | Posted by JOE at 2018-01-03 02:54 PM | Reply

The irony here is that Bannon has come out in full agreement with the DR Left.
#9 | Posted by Rightocenter

No the irony is that this scumbag who was a trump intimate is now acknowledging reality. What is not to be trusted is his role in all of the ----.

#27 | Posted by truthhurts at 2018-01-03 02:56 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Never trust ANYTHING Bannon says or does.

That being said I plan to enjoy watching the infighting on the right.

#28 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-03 02:56 PM | Reply

"God willing the next call for Trump's removal will come from a Republican Senator."

maybe one from a more blue or moderate state.

#29 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 02:58 PM | Reply

There was no meeting with Russians during the campaign. Fake news.

Oh, you mean the meeting at trump tower? Between Russian operatives and the senior campaign leadership? That was only to speak about adoptions.

Oh, you found Don Jr's emails about the meeting in which he responded to the possibility of getting Russian got help with dirt on Clinton by saying "I love it!" Well, nothing actually happened at the meeting, which is why we left it off of all our security clearance disclosures.

Oh, Steve Bannon is now calling the meeting treasonous? Well, Steve Bannon is a Rino and -------------. So there.

Fake news

#30 | Posted by lee_the_agent at 2018-01-03 02:59 PM | Reply | Funny: 4 | Newsworthy 2

New reality TV show.... "Nazis eating their own" starring Steve Bannon and Dotard.

#31 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-01-03 03:01 PM | Reply

Excerpt from Wolff's book:

Donald Trump Didn't Want to Be President

One year ago: the plan to lose, and the administration's shocked first days.
by Michael Wolff

Election Night: It "looked as if he had seen a ghost."

nymag.com

#32 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-03 03:01 PM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY EBERLY AT 2018-01-03 02:46 PM | FLAG:

It's not that I believe a thing Bannon says. He's at least as despicable as Trump is.

But the fact that Trump's top cheerleader has now turned on him means that a lot of weird stuff is about to go down, and the Trumpsters' bubble may be about to burst.

#33 | Posted by cbob at 2018-01-03 03:02 PM | Reply

"maybe one from a more blue or moderate state."

This is possible.

I'm still hoping for one of Utah's Senators.

#34 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-03 03:02 PM | Reply

It sounds to me like Bannon and Trump are throwing each other under the bus. The question is, whose bus is bigger.

#35 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 03:05 PM | Reply

@ TWINPAC

Oh Trump's bus is shorter.

Problem is the alt right might as well be a tire on that bus.

And now that Trump has attacked Bannon Trump's short bus isn't going anywhere fast.

#36 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-03 03:08 PM | Reply

Ken Dilanian‏ @KenDilanianNBC

Wolff on getting info to Trump: "The unique problem here was partly how to get information to someone who did not (or could not or would not) read, and who at best listened only selectively."
11:29 AM - 3 Jan 2018

#37 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-03 03:10 PM | Reply

Thanks for that excerpt, Gal, pretty much confirms everything I have been saying/suspected of our Accidental President.

#38 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2018-01-03 03:18 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#35 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

The question is who can get indicted or impeached? Only Trump.

If something happens, Bannon can say I told you so. If nothing happens, Bannon can say he had insider information.

Also...is Bannon talking with Mueller?

#39 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-03 03:22 PM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY EBERLY

I am confused... how is Bannon lying?

Not saying he isn't a liar, he is and has demonstrated that in the past. But in this case he isn't presenting any facts. There is nothing to lie about. He is just stating his opinion that the meeting was "treasonous" and "unpatriotic" and very stupid. Where is the lie? Am I missing something? Are you trying to say that he DOES NOT actually have that opinion, and is just saying that he does have that opinion for some personal/political gain (this train of thought is starting to make my head hurt)???

Now I happen to agree with his opinion. That does not mean I put more weight in his other opinions. And it does not mean I am changing my opinion. We are just pointing out it is a little shocking that someone who had defended Trump so vehemently in the past would now hold a similar opinion of him and his administration as do a lot of his fiercest opponents.

Also I would say to his supporters that if Bannon can change his opinion so precipitously and quickly, then you might want to re-examine why YOU think that your current impression of Trump is correct or will be lasting.

#40 | Posted by gtbritishskull at 2018-01-03 03:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Poor Bannon misses the spotlight. Has there ever been a campaign without dirt digging going on?

#41 | Posted by bayviking at 2018-01-03 03:52 PM | Reply

Bannon is saying he is sure Jr. took the Russians to The Donald.

#42 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-03 04:00 PM | Reply

"is Bannon talking with Mueller?"

If Bannon doesn't want to end up in prison or murdered by Putin's goons he better be talking.

#43 | Posted by Tor at 2018-01-03 04:12 PM | Reply

"I am confused... how is Bannon lying?"

Well, he wants his characterization of what happened in this meeting to be believed, doesn't he?

"Are you trying to say that he DOES NOT actually have that opinion, and is just saying that he does have that opinion for some personal/political gain (this train of thought is starting to make my head hurt)???"

it's entirely possible. Liars lie. They don't need a reason...they just need an opportunity.

And please...... nobody should deliberately pretend to believe any of this is a defense for Bannon, Trump or Trump Jr.

#44 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 04:16 PM | Reply

Does anybody here trust that Bannon has the same definition of "treasonous" and "unpatriotic" as yourself?

Let me phrase this differently....before today, did any of you trust Bannon's definition of those terms?

#45 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 04:19 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Is Bannon lying or telling the truth? Not sure, but if he is telling the truth, the question is, why? Truth or lies, why is he coming out with this now?

#46 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2018-01-03 04:22 PM | Reply

Eberly, I think you might be misinterpreting the responses here. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but as I see it, nobody on the left has changed their mind about Bannon's trustworthiness. We might happen to agree on this particular characterization about Junior, but it doesn't mean we're now pals with Bannon. He's a whack job at best.

It's simply newsworthy that he and Trump are now at each other's throats. Well, newsworthy and funny, in a sick sort of way.

#47 | Posted by cbob at 2018-01-03 04:26 PM | Reply

#45 | POSTED BY EBERLY

No, because he was always covering the Trump Administration. But he has a lot more credibility when he is attacking his own, don't you think?

#48 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-03 04:38 PM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY EBERLY

These revelations are not all sourced to Bannon. So unless you're suggesting Wolf is lying about all the other sources, which some of the sources are claiming, Bannon's credibility is not the only factor to consider, IMO.

#49 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2018-01-03 04:48 PM | Reply

GAL

"why is he coming out with this now?"

I don't real anything into the timing. If the reporting is correct, Wolff interviewed hundreds of people for this book. So it didn't just materialized out of thin air. My guess is the book was in the offing at least since Bannon lost the battle with Jarred and Ivanka and was asked to leave the White House.

I think that's what got his nose out of joint and this book is his revenge. Someone (I don't remember who) said that if you want a friend in Washington, DC, buy a dog.

From now on I think we're going to see a battle royal for the base. With lots of fireworks.

#50 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 04:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

real = read

#51 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 04:55 PM | Reply

"But he has a lot more credibility when he is attacking his own, don't you think?"

Not really, which is my point. He's interested in his own gain and saving his own ass, if he has done some wrong. IOW, I don't see why he should be trusted with anything.

#52 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 05:01 PM | Reply

Fair enough and you're right, IMO.

#53 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 05:01 PM | Reply

Bannon and Trump are both control freaks and neither have a forgiving nature. They'll be ------------- each other over the airwaves for months.

And we all thought the Mueller investigation was going to be Trump's Waterloo.

What were we thinking?

#54 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 05:02 PM | Reply

These guys are like an Abbott and Costello routine... the problem for the country is that Trump is Lou Costello.

www.youtube.com

#55 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-03 05:08 PM | Reply

As typical with this President and this White House they have now issued a statement that is full of lies. If Trump is to be believed then his campaign manager and chief strategist actually did very little and rarely ever met with Trump.

"Steve Bannon has nothing to do with me or my Presidency. When he was fired, he not only lost his job, he lost his mind.Steve was a staffer who worked for me after I had already won the nomination by defeating seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party.

Now that he is on his own, Steve is learning that winning isn't as easy as I make it look. Steve had very little to do with our historic victory, which was delivered by the forgotten men and women of this country. Yet Steve had everything to do with the loss of a Senate seat in Alabama held for more than thirty years by Republicans. Steve doesn't represent my base -- he's only in it for himself.

Steve pretends to be at war with the media,which he calls the opposition party, yet he spent his time at the White House leaking false information to the media to make himself seem far more important than he was. It is the only thing he does well. Steve was rarely in a one-on-one meeting with me and only pretends to have had influence to fool a few people with no access and no clue, whom he helped write phony books.

We have many great Republican members of Congress and candidates who are very supportive of the Make America Great Again agenda. Like me, they love the United States of America and are helping to finally take our country back and build it up, rather than simply seeking to burn it all down."

#56 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-01-03 05:08 PM | Reply

"...but as I see it, nobody on the left has changed their mind about Bannon's trustworthiness."

some have outright said that since he is turning....he is now to be believed.

Folks struggle with this, IMO.

#57 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 05:10 PM | Reply

#24 | POSTED BY EBERLY

You're like the Olga Korbut of mental gymnastics.

#58 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-01-03 05:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

mental gymnastics = "I don't understand..DOH!!!.can you make it more easieristing and simplier for me? Maybe draw me a picture? I love pictures,"

#59 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 05:23 PM | Reply

EBERLY

"Folks struggle with this, IMO."

I'm not. They're both going to spend the rest of their lives beating each other to a bloody pulp. And both of their versions will be self-serving. It's going to be a cage match with lots of blood.

I see that Bannon has drawn first blood. He's throwing out the word "insane."

#60 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 05:27 PM | Reply

completely agree.

#61 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 05:38 PM | Reply

...seventeen candidates, often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party.

Citation needed.

#62 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2018-01-03 05:40 PM | Reply

"... often described as the most talented field ever assembled in the Republican party."

That's like saying the Cleveland Browns are perennial Super Bowl contenders.

#63 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-03 05:56 PM | Reply

"Wolff writes that Thomas Barrack Jr, a billionaire who is one of the president's oldest associates, allegedly told a friend: "He's not only crazy, he's stupid." Barrack denied that to the New York Times."

So, Lew Costello.

#64 | Posted by Corky at 2018-01-03 05:59 PM | Reply

#59 | POSTED BY EBERLY

I don't know who drew the picture for you but you clearly still don't understand. How can Bannon be lying both before and after a binary flip flop? Why do you only care that he is a liar now?

It is clear you will do anything to convince yourself trump is okay.

#65 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2018-01-03 06:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Plonked troll

#66 | Posted by eberly at 2018-01-03 06:50 PM | Reply

There are a plethora of people willing to state that Trump is an idiot, disloyal, unreliable and that the actions of his campaign likely constitute espionage (treason is an unlikely charge to stick due to the debate over the definitions of "levying war" and "enemies".) Given the vast array of credible and decent people willing to attest to these facts, why does the press keep handing a microphone to this bag of dicks?

#67 | Posted by leadbelly at 2018-01-03 06:50 PM | Reply

I see that Bannon has drawn first blood. He's throwing out the word "insane."
#60 | POSTED BY TWINPAC

It is looking to be a great season of the Trump Show.

Beverly need not worry. Bannon is not our friend. The snake may have shed its skin but it is still a snake.

Neither will "win" but as we all know Trump's button is bigger!

He will always be on top as long as he is still President. But when Humpy Trumpy falls it will be a great fall. And only those lucky enough to be far far away will not be sucked into the implosion.

Some will get rich and others will be destroyed.

Yup!

It's gonna be a great season!

#68 | Posted by donnerboy at 2018-01-03 07:00 PM | Reply

Storm in a tea party cup.
More coffee vicar ?

#69 | Posted by tunde at 2018-01-03 07:04 PM | Reply

Citation needed.

#62 | POSTED BY TFDNIHILIST

Trump doesn't know the meaning of that phrase.

#70 | Posted by johnny_hotsauce at 2018-01-03 07:11 PM | Reply

This is classic reality TV.

#71 | Posted by sentinel at 2018-01-03 09:31 PM | Reply

What puzzles me about Bannon's book is why, after all these years of shielding Trump from scrutiny, that these story tellers are suddenly willing to break their silence and subject themselves to Trump's retaliation. If the reports of Trump's reaction to this book is true, he is absolutely furious.

Are we witnessing a mutiny?

#72 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 11:06 PM | Reply

Perhaps Trump is just a Patsy.

#73 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-03 11:07 PM | Reply

I'm not sure what you mean, SNOOFY. I'm not defending Trump but we've been witness to his aggressive bullying toward both staff and critics. Why aren't we seeing that now? Unless he's crumbled, we should be seeing wild accusation and character assassinations by now.

I find it hard to believe that Trump has suddenly turned into Mr. Milquetoast?

#74 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-03 11:26 PM | Reply

He's a useful idiot.
Not sure to whom... many strings attached, I think.

#75 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-03 11:39 PM | Reply

"How can Bannon be lying both before and after a binary flip flop? "

The same way that Obama was incompetent and couldn't get anything done, and now Trump is undoing all the awful things Obama did.

#76 | Posted by snoofy at 2018-01-03 11:41 PM | Reply

SNOOFY

"Perhaps Trump is just a Patsy."

Wolff probably told Trump the book was about him. Well, he wasn't lying.

#77 | Posted by Twinpac at 2018-01-04 09:34 AM | Reply

#52 | POSTED BY EBERLY

There is no upside for Bannon on this unless Trump goes down because its true. If its not true, Bannon just loses a ton of followers.

#78 | Posted by Sycophant at 2018-01-04 02:08 PM | Reply

Bannon either goes to prison or Vlad's goons poison him, that's my prediction. Hope Mueller talks with him before either happens.

#79 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2018-01-04 08:47 PM | Reply

#23 | Posted by rcade at 2018-01-03 02:42 PM | Reply | Flag:
| Newsworthy 6

Can you imagine the apoplexy from Faux Nooze if Hillary had done that?

#80 | Posted by 726 at 2018-01-05 07:32 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I love it that the Trump supporters are fighting with each other but to pretend that Bannon ever considered "Patriotism" in his quest to gain power is sort of childish. None of the people of this administration, currently or formerly, have the slightest care about "patriotism." To them, "patriotism" is a "feeling" which only liberals and idiots even feel. Personal gain, long ago, replaced "patriotism" as an important motive for anything they do. Is anyone stupid enough to honestly believe Trump is patriotic? His sons are patriotic? Please, don't make me laugh.

#81 | Posted by danni at 2018-01-05 11:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Can you imagine the apoplexy from Faux Nooze if Hillary had done that?" - #80 | Posted by 726 at 2018-01-05 07:32 AM

I read on Twitter yesterday that if Hillary Clinton was president and did or say half the stuff Trump has done and said, the Republicans in Congress would be calling for a SEAL team to take her out.

#82 | Posted by Hans at 2018-01-05 12:12 PM | Reply