Monday, January 01, 2018

When Dan Schetter saw how the weather was shaping up on Christmas Day -- below zero temperatures and a wind chill hovering around -25 degrees -- he knew it would be a great day for surfing a blustery Lake Superior. Even better, they were fantastic conditions to grow his signature ice beard. ... "It's not like we're trying to out-ice beard each other," he said of other surfers. "I just happen to have the biggest ice beard."

Comments

Had to share this as Yooper's are a different breed...

#1 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-30 05:33 PM | Reply

Yoopers are mos def a breed apart.

#2 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2017-12-30 05:37 PM | Reply

I grew up on the north shore of Superior. This guy is nuts.

Mind you, we didn't have any liquid water on which to surf.

#3 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-30 05:53 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

@Redial - Oh I know - graduated from Michigan Tech... Last winter there we had a whole string of highs below -20 and wind chills below -50. First time they closed the school in like 80 years. I think it ended up a Federal Disaster area because all the municipal water pipes were bursting up there.

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-30 06:10 PM | Reply

I grew up just east of Thunder Bay. My sis was there last week and wind chills were pushing -47.

Surfing is not the first thing that comes to mind.

#5 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-30 06:23 PM | Reply

Just across the "water"... As for -46 - Yikes - I remember what that is like well. Layers and layers. No exposed skin. I had to walk home with my eyes closed after they canceled classes. I wear contacts and they were literally freezing on my eyes.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-30 06:27 PM | Reply

I can deal with cold but I effing hate cold and wind.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-30 06:42 PM | Reply

Enjoy

www.youtube.com

#8 | Posted by SLBronkowitz at 2017-12-30 10:31 PM | Reply

Galaxypete - I lived up in Yoop-land for a whole year while my company built a paper mill in Quinnesec (next to Iron Mtn.). I spent a good amount of my time on the various lakes and rivers there, fishing. I liked the Yoopers. They reminded me of my native Alabamians back before all the northern businesses moved south.

#9 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-12-31 09:31 AM | Reply

Great thread, Pete! Yoopers are definitely different.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ at 2018-01-01 05:25 PM | Reply

we swam across the portage canal while at Tech - in the middle of Febuary....NOT

I couldn't stand more than 5 minutes of Gitche Gumee water in september on K day - even w/all day drunken courage builder session.

is "another on bites the dust" still played throughout the dorms for chem exams? or has that been banned to not trigger the SJWs?

#11 | Posted by mutant at 2018-01-01 05:54 PM | Reply

they closed MTU in the 1990s for extreme cold for one day. I ventured** out to buy beer just to see what is was like - had to keep ducking into the buildings on the way for you know - extreme exposure and stuff..

**"Ventures", the name of the university business incubator - even up in the UP you have people in power ripping off the system. I recall the local school paper, the Lode, breaking this story wide open and not making nice with the administration. Good times!

#12 | Posted by mutant at 2018-01-01 06:00 PM | Reply

@Mutant - I would have sworn it was 2 days... It was 94 mid January I believe. My last year. I lived on Garnet by Lot 21. Just a meezly 7ish blocks from most of my classes but it didn't matter.

Swimming in the Portage was doable in the summer - more than one late night trip down to the water for a dip. But even in late summer there was nowhere near Houghton to go into Superior for more than a couple minutes not to mention K-Day. If you went down to Ontanogon the water was shallow enough to get warm enough...

#13 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-02 06:12 PM | Reply

Yoopers are definitely different.

#10 | Posted by JeffJ

I totally agree. They are a different breed. Nice people too if they didn't see you as a "student". A lot of locals had issues with students... I spent a lot of summers in the UP. Most more toward Caspian and Crystal Falls.

#14 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2018-01-02 06:15 PM | Reply