Friday, December 29, 2017

Apple just published a letter to customers apologizing for the "misunderstanding" around older iPhones being slowed down, following its recent admission that it was, in fact, slowing down older phones in order to compensate for degrading batteries. "We know that some of you feel Apple has let you down," says the company. "We apologize." ... iPhone owners have long believed Apple artificially slows down older phones to drive new sales. But the new information from Apple about performance management poured gasoline on that long-simmering frustration, leading to a lot of bad press and multiple lawsuits.

Comments

This is also an "admission against interest" which will be devastating to them in the class action lawsuits that have been filed against them on this issue.

This will be very expensive for Apple, good thing they have a yuge off-shore stash that they are going to be taxed on.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-12-29 08:19 PM | Reply

Cool... I can get a new battery for cheap.

#2 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-29 08:45 PM | Reply

there were some updates that were KILLING battery. those updates were fixed soon after release. depending on when the user applied the fix they suffered more or less "slow down."
Apple is offering batteries, repairs, and various discounts to iPhone 6 < owners.

#3 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-29 09:23 PM | Reply

there were some updates that were KILLING battery.

I noticed that. I usually had about 60% left at the end of the day but a few times it was down to 20.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-29 09:38 PM | Reply

There was a notice about this type of impact in a user agreement about a year ago.

I read about it in a seekingalpha article.

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-12-29 09:45 PM | Reply

Apple, a "progressive" favorite, for some reason, rips off consumers, employs slave-labor, creates tons of toxic metal waste, etc.

#6 | Posted by nullifidian at 2017-12-29 09:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

For some reason? Money. Same thing that drives every other company on Earth.

#7 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-29 09:54 PM | Reply

#6 | POSTED BY NULLIFIDIAN

Apple, the "progressive" favorite, for some reason.

Apple, rips off consumers, employs slave-labor, creates tons of toxic metal waste, etc.

FTFY

Now try again my Canadian friend.

But I do agree on why, they rip people off...MONEY.

youtu.be

#8 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-12-30 01:12 AM | Reply

I have the 6+. Ever since the last update my phone has become a paper weight. Fukm. I'm done with Apple.

#9 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-12-30 09:12 AM | Reply

I've thought about leaving Apple, but with an iMac at home with iPhoto, and iTunes, and Apple music (the paid subscription service), etc. etc. etc., I just don't know if I can pull the plug. :-/

#10 | Posted by dylanfan at 2017-12-30 10:11 AM | Reply

I'm gonna see if I can get a new battery for my 6S...

#11 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-30 11:06 AM | Reply

Ever since Apple bricked my 500 dollar ipod that was less than 2 years old I will never give another red cent to their company..they never even had a product that was close to the storage capacity to offer as a replacement,and still haven't yet...just shut down support and that was it...---- you customer.

#12 | Posted by ghoti at 2017-12-30 12:02 PM | Reply

Are you talking about the iPods with the yuge hard drives in them and the scroll wheel? Those were awesome! I used mine for well over 5 years until the hard drive broke from a bad fall off a mountain bike :(.

One of the best MP3 players ever constructed, IMO.

#13 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-12-30 12:09 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

One of the best MP3 players ever constructed, IMO.
yes they were...the ipod classic...mine is still going strong but I can neither add nor delete files so I'm stuck with 160gb of audiobooks that I've listened to over and over and over again !

#14 | Posted by ghoti at 2017-12-30 12:15 PM | Reply

I feel like Apples has gone downhill since Jobs checked out. The new guy (don't remember his name) seems to be riding the wave of the past while being mediocre in actually upholding Apple's reputation.

I like the OS better on Macs but I've had one laptop die about four years after purchase and a desktop that runs like ass after only about three years.

#15 | Posted by jpw at 2017-12-30 01:04 PM | Reply

Large storage implies that you own the content instead of just a license for a particular format. Our corporate masters say you're supposed to pay monthly for streaming privileges.

#16 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-31 12:51 PM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY REDIAL
#8 | POSTED BY PINKYANTHEBRAIN

So Apple is a progressive favorite because it's greedy?

I feel like Apples has gone downhill since Jobs checked out - jpw

It's an industry problem, what to do next?

I am not a fan of Apple products, but buy and a developer because it's part of the job.

I am surprised it took so long to figure out, thought hard core developers would run performance tests every release.

#17 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-12-31 01:06 PM | Reply

I taught myself how to code on an Apple II + (which worked perfectly but my father threw away about 15 years ago, argh) and have had Mac's for years but about 5 years ago shifted to the Samsung Galaxy phones when I noticed that most of the 20 somethings in Silicon Valley were ditching their iPhones for the Samsung. Most of my friends here in LA mocked my large phone as some kind of throwback and my wife's Note as a "brick." Sure enough, Apple noticed as well and started knocking off the Galaxy and suddenly everyone was proud of how big their phone was.

My Galaxy works seamlessly with all my Apple computers and once you figure out how to get your music out of iTunes you will never miss it.

#18 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-12-31 01:17 PM | Reply

I never said Apple is a progressive favourite.

As far as I'm concerned, it's just a smartphone.

#19 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-31 01:18 PM | Reply

Hopefully this psuedo edgy brand goes bankrupt along with that other one called starbucks. It is not edgy or cool to waste money doofii.

#20 | Posted by mutant at 2017-12-31 04:14 PM | Reply