Wednesday, December 27, 2017

A large store on the historical Denton Square was gutted by a four-alarm fire early Tuesday morning, and fire officials still don't know what caused the blaze. The fire was reported about 4 a.m., with the initial call coming from the Downtown Mini Mall on Locust Street, across from the Denton Courthouse-On-The-Square. The cause had yet to be determined.

Comments

FTA: "Hours after the fire, Denton residents rallied online to express their support for rebuilding the damaged portion of Denton Square, which is a popular gathering spot and widely considered a cultural hub of the city center. It draws visitors not only from nearby Texas Woman's University and the University of North Texas, but the entire Dallas-Fort Worth region."

#1 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-27 07:59 AM | Reply

When I went to college in Denton in the early 1990s the downtown square was moribund. All it had was Recycled Books (still there) and Downtown Video. Now there are upscale restaurants and stores all around the square.

The old courthouse itself is one of the nicest I've seen in Texas:

www.tourtexas.com

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-27 08:58 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

All it had was Recycled Books (still there)...

I've been to that bookstore. About 23 years ago, my girlfriend and I stayed with one of her girlfriends in Flower Mound for a weekend and she took us there.

#3 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-27 11:04 AM | Reply

I was last there in 2000, and the Square had become more popular with cafes and boutiques. Great old courthouse.

#4 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-27 11:49 AM | Reply

I rode shotgun a couple times as a teenager with my father up to --- & TWU on one of his institutional servicing runs for their dining halls. I thought the --- campus was pretty nice. One thing I remember was all the nice-looking girls there. I couldn't wait to get to college. LOL

#5 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-27 12:14 PM | Reply

Collecting money to rebuild?!? Whatever happened to the insurance coverage?

#6 | Posted by catdog at 2017-12-27 12:15 PM | Reply

#2 > Rcade, did you ever meet author Larry McMurtry? He hails from ---. I think he taught there as well.

#7 | Posted by shane at 2017-12-27 12:25 PM | Reply

"Collecting money to rebuild?!? Whatever happened to the insurance coverage?"

exactly. If investors and business owners have financial interest in the property....I'm sure there is insurance coverage in place.

#8 | Posted by eberly at 2017-12-27 12:29 PM | Reply

decrepit + moribund + year end is a classic formula for arson

meanwhile:

"institutional servicing runs for their dining halls"

*so much awesome in 7 words*

#9 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2017-12-27 08:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Recycled Books (still there)

Best used bookstore I've ever been to. Seeing this news was a surprise, about this time 2 years ago I was at the Downtown Mini Mall looking at coffee mugs from foreign countries while my ex shopped for a Polaroid camera. Lil'D and Dallas are fun places to visit.

#10 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-12-27 10:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"institutional servicing runs for their dining halls"
*so much awesome in 7 words*
--DixvilleNotch
__________________________

Thanks, 'Notch. I thought it sounded better than coffee-maker delivery and repairman.

#11 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-27 10:26 PM | Reply

Dang. I was certain you were slinging code for sexually deviant adventures with your dad.

*closes Vaseline*

#12 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2017-12-28 02:07 AM | Reply

Nope. My father was a straight arrow. Only heard him curse once the night when my younger sister began her period. He said, "----." He stopped drinking when I was born, but used to be a bartender back in the 50s as a second job. Never saw him touch a drop of alcohol in my life. Twenty-five years ago, I knew he was about to die when he asked my mother to buy him a six pack of Pilsner Urquell. It sat in the fridge untouched. The topic of sex never came up, either. It's a wonder I was even born.

#13 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-28 01:01 PM | Reply

This is about ten minutes away from me. I was just there a month ago. It is a rather pretty area but its not very big.

#14 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-28 02:13 PM | Reply

The topic of sex never came up, either. It's a wonder I was even born.

#13 | POSTED BY MADSCIENTIST

Yep. Deviant.

#15 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2017-12-28 07:00 PM | Reply

B52s--"Deviant Ingredient"

#16 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-28 08:10 PM | Reply

I bet your dad was finding a way to do the Occluded Boogaloo and the Sly Shanga Lang on those institutional service runs.

#17 | Posted by DixvilleNotch at 2017-12-28 09:14 PM | Reply

He liked driving all around Texas for work, so he didn't mind going on service calls. He was from Syracuse, NY, moved to L.A. in the 50s where he met my mother, and finally to BFE, TX in the early 70s. He'd taken trips with my mother to Texas, where she was reared. He loved the miles and miles of open road and clear horizons and convinced her he wanted to get out of Los Angeles and rear us in Texas. The kinfolk said Texas is the place you oughta be, so we loaded up the truck and moved away from Beverly. Hills, that is. Actually we were from Garden Grove and he worked in the City of Industry unloading railcars under the Teamsters for an old food store chain called Market Basket for 20 years.

He found out real quick what it's like to work in Texas where there are hardly any unions.

#18 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-28 09:33 PM | Reply