Friday, December 22, 2017

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on Thursday reported that the life expectancy in the U.S. decreased in 2016 for the second year in a row. According to the CDC's 2016 mortality report, the life expectancy for a member of the U.S. population born in 2016 was 78.6 years, down 0.1 years from the expectancy for a person born in 2015, itself a decline from 2014. The government figures released Thursday put drug deaths at 63,600, up from about 52,000 in 2015. For the first time, the powerful painkiller fentanyl and its close opioid cousins played a bigger role in the deaths than any other legal or illegal drug, surpassing prescription pain pills and heroin.

Comments

Let's give a cheer for Congress that is helping the crisis progress...

Former DEA agent: Congress, drug industry hindered opioid crackdown
thehill.com

...A former employee of the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) said in a new interview on Sunday that efforts to stem the growing opioid epidemic in the U.S. were derailed by pressure from large pharmaceutical companies and Congress....

According to the "60 Minutes" report, the bill, introduced in the House by Rep. Tom Marino (R-Pa.) and Rep. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.), stripped the DEA of its power to freeze shipments of suspicious narcotics -- an essential tool used by the DEA to combat the spread of opioids.

Rannazzisi, who publicly opposed the bill, drew the ire of Marino and Blackburn, who called on DOJ to investigate him for trying to "intimidate the United States Congress," according to "60 Minutes."...

[emphasis mine]

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-22 01:15 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

How about this title: Darwin Award winners lower US life expectancy figures.

#2 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-12-22 01:46 PM | Reply

How about this title: Darwin Award winners lower US life expectancy figures.

#2 | Posted by MSgt

Darwin awared winners? Is that what you call the victims of false marketing from pharma companies who got people hooked on opium?

Empathy is one of the higher brain functions. WHich is why conservatives don't have it.

#3 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-12-22 02:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

The fact that enough people are dying from opioid usage to affect the average life span is the critical angle of the story. The decline itself is only about a month in real time, which is pretty insignificant.

I think this, at least to me, is the starkest indicator of just how huge a problem the opioid epidemic is.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2017-12-22 02:31 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY AT 2017-12-22 02:13 PM | FLAG: Definitely have no empathy for anyone sho choses to take and kill themselves with illegal drugs. We are responsible for our own actions.

#5 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-12-22 02:31 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by MSgt

Then I feel sorry for you, truly. It means you are either uneducated or a psychopath.

#6 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-12-22 02:34 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by MSgt

And too dumb to realize one of those people might have been minding their own business, hit by a drunk driver, then in chronic pain for which their doctor prescribed vicodin which they got hooked on.

But please, keep proving how brainless and heartless republicans are...

#7 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-12-22 02:49 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Hey 'truth': In the early 80s I dealt with a two young airmen who got hooked on heroin. One worked for me and the other, her girlfriend was a friend of mine. I'm the one who identified their problem and got them into the rehab program. Less than two years after their were discharged both were dead of overdoses. Currently wife is dealing with one her sons [in late 30s] hooked on meth. Guess, what, of her three sons he is the only one not getting any money from her for Christmas as her logic is that she was not giving him the money that my kill him - touch love. I do know about drug addiction as have seen it and am seeing it on a personal level.

As for you calling me names, means nothing to me because that is what your ilk do on a regular basis with anyone whom you disagree with.

#8 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-12-22 02:50 PM | Reply

#8 | Posted by MSgt

It means nothing to you because you're too stupid to realize how stupid you are. It's called The Dunning-Kruger Effect.

www.patheos.com/blogs/crossexamined/2015/02/the-dunning-kruger-effect-are-the-stupid-too-stupid-to-
realize-theyre-stupid/

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-12-22 02:54 PM | Reply

www.psychologytoday.com

#10 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-12-22 02:55 PM | Reply

em·pa·thy
ˈempəTHē/
noun
noun: empathy
the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

By your own words you do not have the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

That can either be from ignorance as to what another is feeling

or

you are incapable because you lack empathy ie cannot share the feelings-ex. sociopath or narcissist

Just because you have been around addicts or your family is dealing with one does not mean you are something special.

Assisting and 'curing' addiction BEGINS with empathy.

BTW I bet if I knew you personally i could find a behavioral trait of yours I could empathize with and I demonstrated empathy right from the start by stating I felt sorry for you

#11 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-12-22 03:07 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#8 | Posted by MSgt

So you have seen it but personally never experienced it. You could go get hooked and then see how hard it is to actually quit and stay away from it. You could read research into what it does to people's minds. You could understand that things (like drugs) affect everyone differently - some may find it easy to quit while most don't for example.

Dealing with a niece right now. I know how she started and I know why she started - Oxy scrip. I know she OD'd in the supermarket with her kid and was lucky enough they were able to necessitate her (and her baby's daddy who was OD'd in the car). I know the cravings didn't magically go a way for her once she was out of rehab and not physically dependent. I know she is a basically good girl who got hooked when she broke her arm. Never was in any trouble before that. Never even drank before that.

She won't even talk to virtually the whole family because they sound like you or worse. There are only a couple of us she does. She did't "choose" to become an addict and she certainly did not "choose" to OD. She has chose to do everything she can to get straight and it hasn't been easy - the mental piece is extremely complicated. I get it just trying to ditch Caffeine.

#12 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-22 03:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hope she succeeds Galaxie, I'll be praying for her. I don't know if anyone is listening but I pray anyway.

Through my kids I have known a few kids who battled drugs, a couple didn't make it but there were a few who live happy, drug free lives today.

#13 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-22 03:53 PM | Reply

I get it just trying to ditch Caffeine.

#12 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE

I quit cigarettes 20 years ago (after smoking a pack a day for 35 years) and I still occasionally get the craving after a meal or cup of coffee or drinking alcohol. It's a lot easier now than when I first quit, but it has never actually gone away. And you're going to have to pry my coffee from my cold, dead hands. So yeah, I can empathize with those who have become addicted; especially those who have become so as a result of medical [mis?]treatment.

#14 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-12-22 03:55 PM | Reply

When I quit smoking many years ago I followed the advice of an article I had read years before in Time Magazine. They recommended giving up coffee while you go through your first few months without cigarettes. Worked for me, I just one day didn't pick up a cigarette and that was it for me, I don't ever even miss them at all. I have since resumed drinking coffee but no more than two cups per day and never after noon.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-22 04:05 PM | Reply

They are extrapolating when they predict the life expectancy of people born in 2016. I think this method of prediction is BS.

Keeping people alive in their old age is a good thing, but keeping old people alive is also the 'bread and butter' of our health industry, and goes on regardless of quality of life. Young people pay to keep old people alive, again regardless of quality of life.

Keeping elderly people alive is not sustainable. Especially in today's Anthropocene. And in many cases it's cruel

#16 | Posted by horstngraben at 2017-12-22 04:21 PM | Reply

Keeping elderly people alive is not sustainable.
#16 | Posted by horstngraben

I'm sure you'll be saying that when you're 85, right?

#17 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-12-22 04:36 PM | Reply

Speak -

This depends on my health at the time, but yeah.

#18 | Posted by horstngraben at 2017-12-22 04:46 PM | Reply

"Keeping elderly people alive is not sustainable."

I know huh?

What a waste of our resources! Just think of all the war machines we could make and taxes we could cut for the rich if we would just let nature take it's course.

And anyway if those elderly people had lived their lives right they would never get sick and die and become a burden for us to deal with.

It is really selfish of them.

#19 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-12-22 05:01 PM | Reply

It is really selfish of them.

I've spent a lot of time in nursing homes, and in many cases it is really selfish of us for keeping them alive. Cruel sometimes.

#20 | Posted by horstngraben at 2017-12-22 05:05 PM | Reply

it is really selfish of us for keeping them alive. Cruel sometimes.

#20 | Posted by horstngraben

You are the selfish one...

What kind of creepy nursing homes did you work in? My dad is in a nursing home in Virginia. It's called Stuarts Draft Retirement Community. It is a wonderful place. Look it up. If I was old and feeble I would love it there. They make all your meals make sure you take your meds and get to your doctor appts and they have lot's of activities and they take them shopping if the want to get out. Whenever we get to visit Dad always looks forward to going "home" when he gets tired. My is 89 and is probably not long for this world but my family still gets to spend quality time with him.

#21 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-12-22 05:26 PM | Reply

Glad to hear about your dad, Donner.

Some examples of 'creepy' nursing homes:

People who suffered stroke(s) that rendered them bed-ridden, and have to have their lungs drained every week so they do not suffocate on lung fluid resulting from chronic pneumonia. They have to be 'turned' every two hours to prevent bed sores (decubitus ulcers). Their eyes work, and tell of their misery.

Decubes are nasty business, and are common in incoming residents. Then there is gangrene. Especially with those having diabetes.

Or, watching the aftermath of a 102 year old man with advanced dementia waking up in the middle of the night to find a tube coming out of his penis, and he pulls it out. Imagine pulling an inflated balloon from your bladder to out your penis. He was panicked, as I can imagine. And yeah, it bled like a mother ---.

Or people with advanced Alzheimer's, who think they're in prison and that people are molesting them (because they are a danger to themselves and others, and they need their diaper changed).

And then there's staph.

I'm not selfish, Donner. And while 'creepy', it is reality for many of our elderly.

Again, glad to hear about your dad.

#22 | Posted by horstngraben at 2017-12-22 08:05 PM | Reply

Thanks Obama care!!!

Its a known fact Obamacare mandated opiate coverage til 2016. Just ignored here!

This is where things get interesting. Last year, Time magazine reported that ObamaCare was at least partly to blame. Under ObamaCare, Medicare payments to hospitals are conditioned in part on a patient satisfaction survey, which included questions on pain management. That, in turn, health officials said, created an incentive for hospitals to overprescribe opioids

www.investors.com

#23 | Posted by DavetheWave at 2017-12-22 08:30 PM | Reply

Re # 22

Yep sounds pretty creepy.

Why didn't you just take them across town and drop them off at the curb like they used to do?

Growing old can be painful. Especially for the poor. A trillion and a half dollars would have gone a long way to helping with that. But the weather really needs that money right so too bad.

But, anyway let's not talk about that! Christmas is coming a I cannot wait to get my extra 2 dollars a week!

I am gonna party like it was 1999. When that would have gotten me a whole six pack of beer!

#24 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-12-23 10:17 AM | Reply

Weather = wealthy.

Thanks Siri.

#25 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-12-23 10:18 AM | Reply

real reason as to the explosion of opiates in our society.

www.congress.gov

Believe this was an effort to curtail a trend to euthanasia after the Oregon legislation was passed.

#26 | Posted by Badcat at 2017-12-23 03:08 PM | Reply

how chainsaw accidents, how much did those push or pull the life expectancy of black females?

sure, let's get with the "new math."

STOP THE MADNESS

#27 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-23 03:22 PM | Reply

Republican plan to save Social Security.

#28 | Posted by Whatsleft at 2017-12-24 04:23 AM | Reply

We should have public hangings of big pharma execs.

#29 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-24 07:24 AM | Reply