Saturday, December 23, 2017

None of the six men and women facing felony charges tied to an anti-Trump Inauguration Day protest committed a crime, jurors decided Thursday. The six defendants had faced seven charges each. The jury returned 42 separate not-guilty verdicts. The charges -- conspiracy to riot, engaging in a riot, and five counts of criminal property destruction -- came despite the government's acknowledgement that it has no evidence any of these half-dozen people engaged in violent personal action that day. It was in effect a legal argument they were as guilty as those who had actually smashed a window, because they chose to show up in black and stay with the group as it moved through the city.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"The law makes clear that you can be present while others are rioting, and you don't have to leave," Steve McCool, who defended Oliver Harris in the case, said in his closing argument. "Think about where we would be if they could simply call protesters criminals."

Comments

Mysteriously, hard to find this story on MSM. Juror spoke to press, said it was obvious from the first few minutes of the trial that the prosecution had absolutely no case. This was simply an attempt to punish people for their political viewpoint. Now they will still face law suits but with their acquittal that may make such law suits more difficult to press. It is a sad day in America when the evil bastards that run things can use their power and money to punish anyone who protests. Won't end well.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-22 08:55 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

There is difference between protesting and rioting. If property is damaged it's gone beyond protest. This sends a signal, so expect things to escalate.

#2 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-22 02:15 PM | Reply

This sends a signal, so expect things to escalate.

#2 | Posted by visitor_

The signal is that a jury of our peers won't back Trump's evil agenda.

"The charges -- conspiracy to riot, engaging in a riot, and five counts of criminal property destruction -- came despite the government's acknowledgement that it has no evidence any of these half-dozen people engaged in violent personal action that day. It was in effect a legal argument they were as guilty as those who had actually smashed a window, because they chose to show up in black and stay with the group as it moved through the city."

#3 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-12-22 02:29 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Let's say I'm with a group that decided to rob a bank. I follow them into the bank and I'm also a passenger in the get away car. I'm wearing a ski mask like the rest of the group. This jury would let me off if Trump owned the bank. Because Trump.

#4 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-22 02:57 PM | Reply

Except the protesters didn't get into a getaway car so your comparison is baloney.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-22 03:45 PM | Reply

Ok I'll fix it.

Let's say I'm with a group that decided to rob a bank. I follow them into the bank and when the cops show up we all run in separate directions. I'm wearing a ski mask like the rest of the group. This jury would let me off if Trump owned the bank. Because Trump.

#6 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-22 04:54 PM | Reply

#6 Were the protesters planning on protesting or rioting? If you went with a group to a protest that turned into a riot, that is not the same as going with a group to a bank with the intent to rob it. The analogy would be to a group of people who a bank to do get some money out of their accounts, but while they were there, some people in the group decided to rob the bank instead.

#7 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-12-22 05:07 PM | Reply

RE #4 "Let's say I'm with a group that decided to rob a bank."

Let's say you are an idiot for hanging out with bank robbers.

And let's say I heard Trump was robbing America. I also heard hundreds, no, thousands, no, hundreds of thousands, no millions! of protestors were going to protest (the biggest inaugural protest EVER!) and so I showed up to watch. The police come and round us all up into a dead end alley (a kettle) and arrest us. The jury would let me off because unless there is a video or some other evidence THERE IS NO PROOF THAT I BROKE ANY THING. Because Obama!

#8 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-12-22 05:46 PM | Reply

I wouldn't go to a bank to cash a check or peacefully protest while wearing a mask.

#9 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-22 08:09 PM | Reply

You also wouldn't graduate high school.

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-22 08:11 PM | Reply

Knocked that one out of the park!

#11 | Posted by uncle_meat at 2017-12-23 10:13 AM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Apples and oranges.

Riddle me this Batman.

Why do the police wear masks?

Also when you go to a protest (like you ever would), Don't take your phone either as it will be confiscated and you will be forced to unlock it and you may never see it again. Even if you did nothing wrong.

I suggest you take a burner phone.

#12 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-12-23 10:29 AM | Reply

These guys getting cut loose in DC does not surprise me. But I would not try the same tactics in Texas. Don't worry about the cops, the locals are much more of a threat. Maybe in Austin, but just down town around the university. Last "big" Antifa protest in Austin the protesters were out numbered by the counter protesters at least 4 to 1. Irony was the cops, whom the Antifa expressly hate, was the only protection they had. Antifa could muster about 40 with a month of organization, the cops had about 80 men on site, the counter protesters exceeded 200.

#13 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-12-23 12:35 PM | Reply

So Docnjo and it's cop buddies support fascism. Good to know.

#14 | Posted by aborted_monson at 2017-12-23 02:09 PM | Reply

#14 | Posted by aborted_monson-I believe Antifa is the most fascist acting group out there despite their stated beliefs and objectives. Besides, Antifa is yesterdays news. They don't matter anymore. The only thing they accomplished was to make the Alt-right more appealing by comparison.

#15 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-12-23 02:14 PM | Reply

Attracted to Fascism.

#16 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-23 02:50 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"-I believe Antifa is the most fascist acting group out there despite their stated beliefs and objectives."

And that makes you a moron.

#17 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2017-12-24 12:07 AM | Reply