Thursday, December 21, 2017

"Based on the passage of tax reform and the FCC's action on broadband, Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and CEO of Comcast NBCUniversal, announced that the Company would award special $1,000 bonuses to more than one hundred thousand eligible frontline and non-executive employees," Comcast said in a statement.

"Roberts also announced that the Company expects to spend well in excess of $50 billion over the next five years investing in infrastructure to radically improve and extend our broadband plant and capacity, and our television, film and theme park offerings," the company added....

But those that take a closer look at Comcast's finances will find that's something that would have occurred anyway.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"In Q3 2017, the most recent quarter, Comcast's capital expenditures were $2.4 billion," notes John Brodkin at Ars Technica. "Continuing to spend at that rate, even if Comcast doesn't increase spending to account for inflation, would push Comcast to $9.6 billion a year or $48 billion over the next five years."

Comments

when are they ending support operations in the Philippines?

#1 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-21 04:30 PM | Reply

btw, here comes Youtube TV. (live, with dvr; $35 base price). once they get some premium movie channels...i'm gone.

#2 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-21 04:32 PM | Reply

Allowing Comcast to add tolls to the internet is going to make them a fortune. Unless people wise up and demand municipal broadband or fiber.

#3 | Posted by bored at 2017-12-21 06:37 PM | Reply

they stamped out municiple efforts just like NN.

#4 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-21 08:30 PM | Reply

Hence the need to wise up.

#5 | Posted by bored at 2017-12-21 08:37 PM | Reply

Hmmm, the bonuses include the people at PMSNBC. I wonder if they are refusing to accept them and be part of this "stunt"...

#6 | Posted by sawdust at 2017-12-21 10:07 PM | Reply

how about cutting my bill in half.

#7 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-22 12:52 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I just hooked up a digital antennae. I get a boatload of local channels. Combine that with Netflix or Kodi = no cable for me..

#8 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-23 10:23 AM | Reply

"I just hooked up a digital antennae. I get a boatload of local channels. Combine that with Netflix or Kodi = no cable for me."

Did the same think recently. Sure I miss some of the cable channels but not $200 per month worth. Comcast is the greediest company I have ever seen.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-24 07:38 AM | Reply