Thursday, December 21, 2017

Something fascinating is happening in Chicago. When Barack Obama became president, the city was ebullient; he was, after all, a favorite son, and he'd promised to deliver the liberal policies beloved by Chicagoans. But now, nearly nine years later, city residents find themselves at odds with Obama over the plans for his presidential library. In its initial bid for the right to host the library, put forth on behalf of the city, the University of Chicago offered large tracts of idyllic land in Washington Park and Jackson Park as two potential sites. Almost immediately, the people of those parks' districts began scratching their heads. "Why not build it in one of the many blighted areas?" they asked. "Why are you taking a huge chunk of our parks?" Obama's response was essentially an ultimatum: If the library couldn't be built in a Chicago park, he'd take it to Honolulu or New York City. After Obama selected Chicago and the Jackson Park site, protests began to grow....

Comments

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Hopefully everything will work out fine.

#1 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-21 03:21 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

take it up with UC.

#2 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-21 03:34 PM | Reply

Interesting use of inflammatory rhetoric in this article. The obvious baiting of liberals and dog whistles for conservatives is a little played, but hey, maybe we'll see some name calling.

#3 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-12-21 03:35 PM | Reply | Funny: 4 | Newsworthy 1

Surprise, surprise, it's the national review! Jesus Jeff. You actually read this crap? I feel bad for your eyes.

#4 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-12-21 03:36 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

take it up with UC.

#2 | POSTED BY ICHIRO

What's UC?

Interesting use of inflammatory rhetoric in this article.

Some of the verbiage was a bit over-the-top.

#5 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-21 03:36 PM | Reply

Swing and a miss. Couldn't fool Ichiro.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-12-21 03:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Some of the verbiage was a bit over-the-top."

It's exactly what our country does NOT need right now.

#7 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-12-21 03:37 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY BRUCEBANNER

Is there a right-leaning writer in existence who you will read? Or is it only the echo chamber for you?

#8 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-21 03:38 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

I will read anything right wing as long as it's not a tabloid.

#9 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-12-21 04:53 PM | Reply

@#5 What's UC?

In case you were serious with your question: University of Chicago.

#10 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-21 05:16 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

... Surprise, surprise, it's the national review! ...

Gee, I've cited National Review more than a once on this august site.

I've also enjoyed it when NR editors visit the news-talk shows I watch.

Informative, yes.

Sometime provocative, yes.

Do I agree with everything that is said, no.

But if I agree with all that is said, I'm unlikely to learn anything new.

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-21 05:23 PM | Reply

Yawwwwwwwwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnnnnn

#12 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-21 05:27 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Thanks, Lamp. I didn't know what Ichiro was referring to. In retrospect I should have been able to figure it out.

#13 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-21 06:29 PM | Reply

Funny, I don't remember the National Review suggesting that Bush 43's library be built in a blighted area. It's in Highland Park, one of the richest parts of Dallas.

I guess they are afraid that if you let one black president into a nice neighborhood other black presidents will follow.

#14 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-21 07:49 PM | Reply | Funny: 2 | Newsworthy 1

Is there a right-leaning writer in existence who you will read?

He should read George Will, Jennifer Rubin, Rick Wilson, Stuart Stevens, Charlie Sykes and David Frum.

#15 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-21 07:51 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What about Peggy Noonan?

#16 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-21 07:52 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Peggy Noonan jumped the shark when the Challenger blew up.

#17 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-21 07:52 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Noonan is a nice wordsmith but her thinking is world-class awful most of the time.

#18 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-21 07:53 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#14. NRO didn't make that suggestion. It was the people in Chicago who don't want to lose a huge chunk of their park who made it.

#19 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-21 07:53 PM | Reply

For clarity's sake: I want this to succeed and I want an overwhelming majority of the people of Chicago to be happy with this library.

#20 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-21 07:55 PM | Reply

"Almost immediately, the people of those parks' districts began scratching their heads. "Why not build it in one of the many blighted areas?""

LMFAO.

Reminds me of the time I visited the Reagan Library in Needles.

#21 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-21 07:56 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Personally I hope it goes to Hawaii.

I'd much rather visit it there anyway.

#22 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-12-21 07:59 PM | Reply

He should build it in Alabama... where men are men a sheep are sore afraid.

#23 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-21 08:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

- It's in Highland Park

Really? They did that?

Talk about ruining my old neighborhood...

#24 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-21 08:03 PM | Reply

It's their spin. They put a direct quote in the mouth of nobody, using the fake attribution "they asked."

The whole link is just a bunch of dumb spin used to take gratuitous shots at Obama, written by a kid who was reporting for the Hillsdale College newspaper six months ago.

#25 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-21 08:17 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

I expect that locals will be as happy or unhappy as they are about any presidential library. There are always people willing to complain about a new project in their area, no matter what it is.

I like these libraries. I will eventually get around to visiting Bush 43's.

#26 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-21 08:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#15/8 BOOM. saved me the exact post. i should think of others... but it's late.

#27 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-21 08:36 PM | Reply

I heard there is Lready bounty on the first to tag it with graffitti.

#28 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-12-21 09:39 PM | Reply

already...

#29 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-12-21 09:39 PM | Reply

I heard there is Lready bounty on the first to tag it with graffitti.

I heard there was no such thing.

#30 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-21 09:45 PM | Reply

Bob Mueller, read him.

--Buckley got kinda decrepit at the end, didn't he? he never fully reoented, right?
he and his editors certainly laid bare the immoral and unconstitutional drug wars.
i have to wonder... we need English? styled shows...where the liars get grilled for an hour.
the Senate needs to call out names and be debating this sxit every sxit day. then go home. a year at a time.

like to see what Bill would say now...if he could back...like... at his prime. just for a few questions.
same questions as before, just... today's realities.

#31 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-21 09:48 PM | Reply

reoented = repented
🙌🏼

#32 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-21 09:49 PM | Reply

Indian givers.

#33 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-12-22 12:48 PM | Reply

#14 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2017-12-21 07:49 PM | REPLY | FUNNY: 2 | NEWSWORTHY 1

G. W. Bush's library is in the City of University Park, not Highland Park. Highland Park is to the south.

#34 | Posted by TXLIBERTARIAN at 2017-12-23 01:29 PM | Reply