Wednesday, December 20, 2017

In Michigan's Wayne County, Prosecutor Kym Worthy has spent years processing 11,341 rape kits. The kits, found in 2009, were forgotten in a police storage warehouse, where they were routinely dumped without investigation. Over 800 serial rapists, criminals who have struck 10-15 times without being stopped, were identified. 127 convictions have been made this far. "They just closed cases, even cases where I think they believed the victim ... They closed cases because the women had worked as prostitutes or had mental illness issues or had substance abuse. Didn't believe them, didn't care, and this was one issue that led to the backlog of these kits."

Comments

A persistent problem, across the country, not just Wayne County. Some police have an attitude problem that lets them ignore rape and commit murder.

#1 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-12-19 07:09 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

fantastic. and tragic.
i often feel like my medical care (VA) is effected by "my presentation."
i don't even understand it myself. maybe sort of like a kid with an abusive parent who grows to "think" just like the abuser.
yeah, ---- me! ... not ---- it, ---- me. get it? ---- it = ---- me. ...just change the pronoun. ;)

#2 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-19 02:56 PM | Reply

Thankfully there is nothing we can do because suing the police is nearly impossible for this type of issue.

#3 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-20 09:50 AM | Reply

She's a Wayne County Prosecutor talking about rape kits from the CITY of Detroit - which is a small portion of Wayne County. I am not saying everything she is saying isn't based on some facts but I think this is an oversimplification of the facts. I don't hear one mention of the fact that during this time Detroit was the violence capital of the country or #2 on the list. I don't hear how the police force was understaffed with a short budget. I don't hear about the fact that Detroit was in dire financial circumstances for decades. I don't actually hear the honest truth that during this time the city of Detroit was 85% Black - which also goes a long way to explaining the numbers. I am not saying there is a good excuse for this backlog happening but it all came down to the budget and not racism so much as I felt was portrayed. It was a black city run by blacks and to me that sort of negates the racism factor as well.

(On a macro scale Republicans should be learning from Detroit and what deficits do but it seems they just don't care.)

#4 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-20 10:13 AM | Reply

"I am not saying everything she is saying isn't based on some facts but I think this is an oversimplification of the facts. "

You're trying to pretend that your racist statement isn't racist. It isn't working.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-20 10:39 AM | Reply

Backlog of rape kits exists in many municipalities in the United States. They all should get the funding required to TEST and increase public saftey. This is a NO BRAINER. Why does the word DETROIT in the article result in a Pavlonian response for you?

#6 | Posted by clearheaded12 at 2017-12-20 02:56 PM | Reply

#4 | POSTED BY GALAXIEPETE AT 2017-12-20 10:13 AM | REPLY |

The thing that is worth noting is that SOME rape kits WERE processed and the selection of which to process seems to have been deliberate and selective in nature. One of the often overlooked sources of inequality is that when faced with funding to only provide services to SOME people a choice has to be deliberately made. It is telling that most of the unprocessed rape kits were for people the police would either consider criminal or insane.

For years prostitutes have been trapped between their pimps and the police who treat them as criminals. They have told the cameras many times they are trapped and can't get out because the police view them as throw away people. Maybe we should start listening

#7 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-12-21 09:26 AM | Reply

They should hide a prize inside the serial rapists' rape kits so the detectives'll open 'em.

#8 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-21 09:30 AM | Reply