Monday, December 18, 2017

Never shy about shedding light on injustice and unethical behavior, John Grisham sinks his teeth into a juicy target in his latest novel: privately owned, for-profit law schools. Three students at the fictional Foggy Bottom Law School in Washington, D.C., drowning in debt and nearing graduation with little hope of passing the bar or landing a job, drop out in disgust and embark on a foolhardy revenge scheme against the Wall Street kingpin who controls Foggy Bottom and other diploma mills. Grisham details the dismal mediocrity and hopelessness engulfing the school and its students. Mirroring real-life counterparts, students stumble out of Foggy Bottom into years of suffocating loan payments and dead-end careers.

Comments

They are all 'for profit' the categories are taxed and tax exempt.

#1 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-18 11:30 AM | Reply

Law Schools in the 90's and early 2000's lied to potential students about employment rates and incomes. I think the ABA lost its accrediting ability now too.

#2 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-18 12:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Three students at the fictional Foggy Bottom Law School in Washington, D.C., "

Oh, go on!! For real?

#3 | Posted by eberly at 2017-12-18 12:17 PM | Reply

Financial aid backed by the Federal Government should only be available for students attending state colleges and universities.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-18 01:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#5 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-18 01:19 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by visitor_

IMHO Ivy League schools are highly overrated educationally. What makes them great are the connections you can build.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-18 04:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Why do we require law school attendance for a individual to to be able to take the state bar exams? As I remember an individual who "read the law" and passed the bar, went on to become the 16th president of the United States.

#7 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-12-19 10:36 AM | Reply

A degree from an Ivy League school is practically mandatory these days.

#8 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-19 10:52 AM | Reply

"No government subsidies to attend private schools, including the Ivy League? Damn, I thought I was a conservative."

You thought wrong, you're actually a supporter of oligarchy which is not a conservative idea.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-19 10:55 AM | Reply

"A degree from an Ivy League school is practically mandatory these days."

You don't really know what you're talking about. Go get some new talking points to repeat.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-19 10:56 AM | Reply

#11 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-19 11:11 AM | Reply

"Danni, you are impressive in the amount ignorance you can pack into a single sentence. Golf clap."

As I recall, Donald Trump got an ivy league education. Nuf said. So did George Bush. The school you attend has little to do with the education you gain. I have brothers and sisters who graduated from state universities who are so much better educated than you ever will be that it isn't even funny.

#12 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-19 11:17 AM | Reply

If we have an oligarchy it's represented by the dominance of the Ivy League. You want to keep Joe middle class out of it. I never said it represented a meritocracy.

#13 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-19 11:26 AM | Reply

A degree from an Ivy League school is practically mandatory these days.

#8 | POSTED BY VISITOR_

Maybe in some very small circles, but the statistics show that a degree from even unknown, small colleges produce as good, and in some cases, better education than the ivy league schools. Graduates from non-ivy-league schools certainly make up a much much larger percentage of the overall number of degreed people.

#14 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-12-19 11:31 AM | Reply

The only time an Ivy degree is worth more than any other degree is when you are applying to an "inner circle". Otherwise, nobody gives a damn about where you got your degree from.

#15 | Posted by humtake at 2017-12-19 11:47 AM | Reply

"As I recall, Donald Trump got an ivy league education. Nuf said. So did George Bush."

Nobody counts legacy and wealthy connected folks when evaluating an Ivy League or Otherwise elite school.

I know several students at Harvard and MIT. They got perfect scores on their ACTs and they are great kids. They'll do very well and the elite education they get will be a factor.

Spoiled, connected kids like Trump, Bush, and Kennedy are exceptions.

#16 | Posted by eberly at 2017-12-19 12:20 PM | Reply

"There is nothing wrong with private, for profit schools being part of the overall education system, in terms of the students getting financial aid. There are some very good private schools that actually do care about the student getting an education. This is one issue where conservatives and liberals should agree. You can't lump all private schools in with Trump University."

So, should education and financial aid be laissez faire? When ITT Technical was disaccredited the poor students who paid large sums to attend were stuck with thousands to pay, well at least after Betsy Devos became Sec. of Education. Seems to me the Dept. of Education approved the student loans for an institution which was later lost accreditation, the Dept. of Education should bear some responsibility and if not then no private institution should qualify for federal student loan money. It's a license to steal from disadvantaged students.

#17 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-19 12:30 PM | Reply

"Spoiled, connected kids like Trump, Bush, and Kennedy are exceptions."

#18 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-19 12:31 PM | Reply

"There are some very good private schools"

You moved the goalposts.
Away from "private, for profit."
To just "private."

Did they teach you that at college?

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-19 12:33 PM | Reply

"John Kennedy, war hero, Senator, President....thrown into a sentence like that is disgusting."

Kennedy only goes to show that not all spoiled rich kids are spoiled.

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-19 12:35 PM | Reply

More or less disgusting than your inability to read?

I said "Kennedy", not John Kennedy. There are quite a few of them.

#21 | Posted by eberly at 2017-12-19 01:04 PM | Reply

Sure. Eberly wasn't referring to Kennedy, but to another man with the same name.

Like when I say Eberly should take his Flo-Max so he can actually produce a strong enough stream to go piss up a rope, I could very well be talking about some other Eberly.

"You're so vain, you probably think this post is about you."

#22 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-19 04:06 PM | Reply

He said "Kennedy". He didn't say "John Kennedy".

I took his comment as referring to Edward Kennedy, who attended Harvard.

#23 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-19 04:19 PM | Reply

I was referring to the whole lot of Kennedys.

There are probably 3 generations that have been to Ivy League schools

I'm sure many of them were less than qualified.

Snoofy.....you slay me. Just when Danni makes a fool out of herself, you show up and yell "No No No....I'm dumber, just watch"

#24 | Posted by eberly at 2017-12-19 04:42 PM | Reply

So you were referring to Jack Kennedy after all!

Just not exclusively to JFK...

It's not a weak stream, it's a soak-em-all firehose!

#25 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-19 04:45 PM | Reply

www.townandcountrymag.com

I'm sure you'll find plenty of families represented in this manner....mostly due to $$$ and legacy admissions, etc.

#26 | Posted by eberly at 2017-12-19 07:30 PM | Reply

"I said "Kennedy", not John Kennedy. There are quite a few of them.

You were naming Presidents and the only President I recall named Kennedy was John. Don't play innocent with me, that was a cheap shot at a great President who I loved, who I honestly cried for on the day he died. I just won't have his name compared to those other a**H***s. They were basically garbage that did harm to this nation, now with the revelations about his assasination, it is becoming clearer that he was killed because he would not go along with those who wanted to harm this nation and take us to war in Vietnam. Just apologize and more on.

#27 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-19 09:47 PM | Reply

"a quick scan of these young kennedys and you'll find at least a half-dozen ivy leaguers."

A great man is not tarnished by his relatives. Do you think John Kennedy was a great man, with some flaws I admit, but still a great man? Or not? Yes or no?

#28 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-19 09:48 PM | Reply

"You were naming Presidents"

I was naming rich connected families who had a member get elected president. Don't keep chasing after me with your ignorance.

Admit you completely misunderstood my point and that I was right.

Then I'll give an answer to your #28.

#29 | Posted by eberly at 2017-12-19 11:11 PM | Reply

#27 Danni

JFK was a good friend of Nixon. Tricky Dick wept when JFK was assassinated. It was their friendship that prevented Nixon from challenging the election results. I am not challenging you BTW. Just sharing a bit of history that you might not be aware of and might also find interesting.

#30 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-19 11:14 PM | Reply