Monday, December 18, 2017

A power cut at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson international airport has led to a partial shut-down, with tens of thousands of people reported affected. The airport is the world's busiest, handling more than 250,000 passengers and almost 2,500 flights every day. Passengers were left in darkened terminals or on board aeroplanes.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Georgia Power, who supplies the airport's electricity, said they believed a fire at an underground electrical facility was to blame for the outage.

Comments

The going joke is when you go to heaven or hell, you will probity have to transfer in Atlanta.

#1 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-12-18 08:54 AM | Reply

#1 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-12-18 08:54 AM | Reply | Flag:

No kidding. Even on a good day, it's unpleasant. Add 11 hours of power outage, some smoke in the concourse and massive cancellations. And no way to recharge your phones.

#2 | Posted by cbob at 2017-12-18 10:35 AM | Reply

There isn't any reason why one fire should EVER shut down Atlanta airport's power, unless of course that fire has engulfed the whole city. The powers that be already made every flight take longer because for some reason they all have to go through Atlanta. They should be supporting the infrastructure enough to handle it. Unfortunately, the risk of thousands of people being stranded isn't serious enough to warrant the resources necessary to improve the grid.

#3 | Posted by humtake at 2017-12-18 11:50 AM | Reply

In my hundreds of times through ATL I slept there overnight just once, and should have rented a car to get to my destination.

Pro tip: the best food is in "E" concourse...

#4 | Posted by catdog at 2017-12-18 12:10 PM | Reply

I've been through Atlanta Airport many times and I haven't had many problems there.

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-18 12:30 PM | Reply

#3 | Posted by humtake

I agree totally. There is no excuse for insufficient backup power - not at a travel hub of such significance. Add in there should have been multiple independent feeds from the grid - by that I mean feeds coming from different transmission routes and lines. If you are moving 250k people a day through the airport it needs to be properly provisioned.

#6 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-18 03:21 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by boaz

I have to second that. It is NOT by any means my favorite airport but there are much worse.

#7 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-18 03:21 PM | Reply

This is how scary-fragile our infrastructure is. I guarantee you: IS, Russia, China, and many more are taking careful notes.

#8 | Posted by e1g1 at 2017-12-18 06:50 PM | Reply

I have no idea how many times I have been in Atlanta, the air port at least. I have been in the city once, it's nice.

#9 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-12-19 10:13 AM | Reply

#8 | Posted by e1g1, Fact is, three 40MT weapons detonated 150 to 250 miles above us would create enough EMP to fry almost every electric circuit in this country. Welcome to the 19th century in one day. The government takes this threat very seriously. They will survive. The rest of us, not so much.

#10 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-12-19 03:59 PM | Reply