Sunday, December 17, 2017

Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the latest chapter in the hugely popular franchise, debuted with a massive $450 million in global ticket sales over the weekend, distributor Walt Disney said on Sunday. The total includes $220 million in the United States and Canada, the second largest domestic opening of all time behind 2015 movie Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Comments

As I said before, best movie of the year..

Highly recommend it..

#1 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-17 01:50 PM | Reply

I saw the movie yesterday. No spoilers: I thought it was good. This is my favorite performance by Mark Hamill ever.

#2 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-17 01:53 PM | Reply

WOW A fool and his money are easily parted.

#3 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-17 01:59 PM | Reply

I can't believe Luke killed c3p0...

#4 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-12-17 02:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

Saw it yesterday. Something I thought of, which I wasn't curious about before, who finances the Resistance?

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-12-17 02:38 PM | Reply

I can't believe Luke killed c3p0.

I can't believe Luke didn't kill c3p0 6 movies ago.

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-12-17 02:58 PM | Reply

"who finances the Resistance?"

Not that we are supposed to think about that... but the Resistance was formerly backed by the Republic, and the new movie takes place right after the last one ended, so I assume they were dealing with what they had already need new backers. They seemed to be an impractically small operation, even at the start of Episode 7

#7 | Posted by LEgregius at 2017-12-17 03:41 PM | Reply

TechnicallyRon
@TechnicallyRon
Dec 14
A vegan walks into a bar. Before they can start talking about how they are a vegan the person who doesn't like star wars is already talking about how they don't like star wars

#8 | Posted by ClownShack at 2017-12-17 04:09 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I'm just glad that Han Solo is still dead.

#9 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2017-12-17 04:49 PM | Reply

I'm having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that so many people disliked it so intently. Personally I really enjoyed it despite a few obvious flaws. I do see some of the criticisms people are making regarding the movie, but frankly I think it's mostly nostalgia that keeps people from seeing some of the flaws in the OT, too.

#10 | Posted by dylanfan at 2017-12-17 05:52 PM | Reply

#10 | POSTED BY DYLANFAN AT 2017-12-17 05:52 PM | REPLY

Me too, I was surprised at the level of discontent by some folks. Was it a perfect movie? Nope. Were some parts boring or too long? Yep. But overall, it was still a very good movie, worthy of the star wars name. My only guess is that some very loud fanboi's got their panties in a twist over some of the plot twists and couldn't come to grips with their favorite fan theories being wrong. As a former fanboi, I enjoyed it immensely.

#11 | Posted by bartimus at 2017-12-17 08:17 PM | Reply

#10 | Posted by dylanfan at 2017-12-17 05:52 PM | Reply | Flag:

Look I am wrong to be looked at for objectivity towards the Star Wars franchise. I think it's all dumb except for R2D2. He's a cutie. The last movie that I actually went to a Theater to watch was Breaking Dawn.

#12 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-17 08:43 PM | Reply

I normally put a lot of weight on what the rotten tomatoes audience scores a movie. a 57 RT audience score will definitely keep me from going to see it.

#13 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-12-18 08:37 AM | Reply

Look,

If you liked Star Wars, then you will like this one. If you are a lukewarm fan, you may not like it. It was designed to give lovers of the movies what they wanted. Long movie time and character development.

If you are not into that, then don't go see it. No one cares.

#14 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-18 11:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

The only people I know who didn't like it seem to think its a documentary. If you just accept that it is a space fantasy and let your imagination run with it it is -----------------. If you get hung up on details and demand to know the physics of everything that happens you will get bogged down in your own insufferability

#15 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-12-18 11:14 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Kinda boring blot. But great visuals.

Great music too. But ever notice that they put frick'n everyone on the credits down to the assistant tissue supplier, but not the classical musicians. I mean, you've listened to pretty much 2h straight of amazing new orchestral works with brilliant performances and beautiful solos that truly make the film. You get the composer, and sometimes a mention of the orchestra, but never the members or even the soloists. These are professionals that have mostly dedicated their lives to their craft and are some of the best of the best. But they never get credit. Pisses me off.

- end of rant -

#16 | Posted by Snowfake at 2017-12-19 09:27 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm fairly sure that Empire Strikes Back would have been ripped to shreds by real Star Wars fans if it came out today. "That romance plot came out of nowhere and was not needed!" "They should have just killed Lando for betraying them!" "Oh, Chebacca is a robotics expert now, huh?" "Yoda was a joke." "Oh, so Luke can fight Vader after just a few weeks of training?" "So this made Ben a liar in Star Wars?" "Wow, Vader is his father, how contrived. Real hack work."

#17 | Posted by Hagbard_Celine at 2017-12-19 10:24 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I hope they brought Jar-Jar back. He was my penultimate favorite character after Spock.

#18 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-19 11:01 AM | Reply

I'm in the middle of rewatching Ep 7 before I go see the new one. I didn't like Ep 7 so watched it once and haven't watched it since. I'm hoping Ep 8 brings back the feel of Star Wars. They had to introduce a new cast in Ep 7 and do the character development which sacrificed the entire Star Wars continuity. Instead of new canon we got reintroduced to the fact that there is a rebel force fighting an Imperial force. Sorry, but that formula is stale. I get that producers try to make every movie stand on its own as much as possible but sacrificing moving a story along that has already had 6 films before it did a big disservice to the franchise. I assume Ep 8 will be better as more time can be spent on canon and less on how they can turn the main bad guy into a Millennial.

#19 | Posted by humtake at 2017-12-19 12:12 PM | Reply

#5 | Posted by GOnoles92

Don't you mean who finances the antifa?

#20 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-12-19 12:15 PM | Reply

Of course, the marketers have convinced studios that the weekend box office is now 6:30pm Thursday - 11:59pm Sunday.

I'm not complaining though; I get to see the SW films the day (before, technically,) they come out without staying up till 3am. Add the fact that the local theater now serves food and it makes for a great after-work thing to do.

#21 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-12-19 02:21 PM | Reply

I'm just glad that Han Solo is still dead.

#9 | POSTED BY HAGBARD_CELINE

So is Harrison Ford.

#22 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-12-19 02:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Stefan Molyneux Thinks New Star Wars Film Is About The Decline Of White People

Stefan Molyneux, a video blogger popular among the far-right, told viewers this weekend that "Star Wars: The Last Jedi" contains a commentary about the persecution of white men and the failure of diversity.

www.rightwingwatch.org

#23 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-12-19 02:36 PM | Reply

#23 | POSTED BY GAL_TUESDAY

Is there anything that doesn't offend these right-wing *******?

#24 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-12-19 03:07 PM | Reply