Friday, December 15, 2017

Dieter Bohn, The Verge: The iMac Pro is available to order today, and if you're a Mac user, you're almost surely going to covet it. But for most people, it's a better idea to covet this machine than it is to actually acquire it. It starts at $4,999 and configuring its various options will rocket the price up from there. ... If you're going to buy this machine, my opinion is that you should know precisely what you plan on using it for -- with more clarity than other computer purchases require. That's not just because the price is exorbitant compared to consumer-grade computers, either. It's also because if you simply need a radically powerful machine, there's another professional-grade Mac coming next year, the announced but as-yet unseen Mac Pro.

Comments

#1 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-12-15 03:02 PM | Reply

Great big meh from me. I mean if I am using a rig like this the form factor is ALL wrong. The fact they START at $5k is absurd but whatever. There is no doubt that screen is spectacular but the lack of a VESA mount option and integrated screen is totally unappealing to me. It's interesting the power they did squeeze out of it in the size of package though.

#2 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-15 03:33 PM | Reply

About ten years ago, I started down the path of switching from Windows to a Mac. I bought a Macmini and moved most of my day-to-day computer stuff to it. I figured, what better way to see if a Mac were for me than to go all in.

Overall, the experience was OK, but after a couple years I punted for a couple main reasons.

(1) Apple hardware is quite expensive, and Apple seemed to dump support for older hardware quite quickly. I got three years out of the Macmini before Apple stopped releasing OS updates for it. I didn't want to feel as if I were the sole funding of Apple's quarterly profits by turning over my hardware as quickly as Apple wanted me to.

(2) The infamous Apple walled garden. Media playback was fine so long as you were OK with living in Apple's world of media. That meant, no playing FLAC audio files, and a very small choice of video playback capability. Of course, the formats that Apple sanctioned worked well, but at the time, for example, Apple's lossless audio format was Apple-proprietary. As time went on, I noticed the walls of the garden more and more.

The Macmini is now in a box on a basement shelf.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-15 03:41 PM | Reply

#4 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-12-15 03:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I just bought a family member a new Windows laptop from Best Buy. Brand new. Large hard drive. Decent power. $200.

#5 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-15 04:04 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Oh it comes with a headphone jack? When the iphone came out they were talking about how this new jack was the future, but here on their top of the line imac, they don't use it. So i guess apple is admitting the new stupid jack on the iphone is just a scam to sell dongles.
#1 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY"

Maybe it has to do with making the iPhone waterproof. No real need to do that with an iMac.

#6 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-12-15 04:47 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY SPEAKSOFTLY

Shhhhh.....it's actually to sell more airpods. If you're charging your new iPhone you can't use headphones thus will need airpods. As with most Apple products, they just want you to keep paying for the next piece of s**t they roll out. I haven't found an android product yet to replicate the cross-integration of apps to the iPhone level yet though.

#7 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-12-15 04:57 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

But for most people, it's a better idea to covet this machine than it is to actually acquire it. It starts at $4,999...

Reminds me of when I asked an acquaintance what they planned on using their ~$1k iPhone X for, and was told "mass media consumption..."

ಠ╭╮ಠ

#8 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-12-15 05:01 PM | Reply

#6 | Posted by mOntecOre

That was one of their excuses, but other phones are waterproof WITH a normal headphone jack.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-12-15 06:52 PM | Reply

an awesome Mac.
i wish i had that kinda dough.

#10 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-16 12:23 AM | Reply

I won't support tax evaders.

#11 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-16 09:07 AM | Reply

I absolutely love all my Apple products...they are built very well... they run every major operating system natively and if you use and abuse your computer a lot they are well worth the money. The laptops are better made than any of the windows operating system laptops ... and if you look inside your desktops and towers you can see the boards in a low-end Apple machine are of better quality than even the high-end windooze systems. it is like the difference between looking under to hood of a Ford Fiesta and a BMW... Apple being the beemer... they are just better made.

I am on my 3rd Mac Pro desktop and my experience has thus far been that I have been able to use them relatively hiccup free for at least 10 years then when I upgrade and sell the carcass for parts.

My only objection to this one is the price for a limited upgradable machine... and I like my pros to be modular and upgradeable until they take their last breath.

I save big bucks buying my Apple computers on the secondary market... I haven't bought a new computer in years.

#12 | Posted by RightisTrite at 2017-12-16 10:23 AM | Reply

So...knowing very little about these things...is the $5K entry price a brand thing, or does this computer do something that a less expensive computer could not?

#13 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-16 11:55 AM | Reply

"Unless you are doing graphic design work there is no reason to spend the kind of money apple asks."

Would graphic design require more computing power than something like the New XboX X?

#14 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-16 11:56 AM | Reply

Apple products are better for graphic design because they use a CMYK Colorspace that has advantages over the Windows RGB colorspace. If you go into any printshop the design department has macs. The rest of the shop is windows. A Mac with a tuneable monitor can show colors that will match the colors on the finished print

#15 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-12-18 11:42 AM | Reply