Thursday, December 14, 2017

With Christmas just around the corner, you may be looking for a great gift to give your closest friends. And after reading this ... well, you'll likely still be looking. It's not that George Clooney didn't come up with the perfect present for his pals. It's just that it's a little outside of the average budget. In fact, according to Clooney's longtime friend and business partner, Rande Gerber, there wasn't even a holiday involved when the A-lister assembled a group for a party to remember four years ago. "I have a story that has never been told before, and it pretty much sums up who George is," Gerber told MSNBC's "Headliners." "There's a group of guys we call 'The Boys.' George had called me and 'The Boys' and said, 'Hey, mark September 27th, 2013, on your calendar. Everyone's going to come to my house for dinner.'" But it wasn't just dinner that he was offering up that night, which his guests learned after they took a seat.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

"Sitting in front of each of us at the table is a black Tumi bag, you know, luggage," Gerber recalled.

"George begins to say, 'Listen, I want you guys to know how much you've meant to me, and how much you mean to me in my life. I came to L.A., I slept on your couch. I'm so fortunate in my life to have all of you, and I couldn't be where I am today without all of you. So, it was really important to me that, while we're still all here together, that I give back.'"

With that said, he instructed everyone to open their suitcases.

"We open it up, and it's $1 million in $20 bills," he continued. "Every one of us -- 14 of us -- got a million dollars. Every single one of us. We were in shock. Like, 'What is this?'"

Comments

That's very cool!

#1 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-14 02:39 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Is this the start of Clooney's campaign?

#2 | Posted by bored at 2017-12-14 03:53 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

That is awesome.

#3 | Posted by 726 at 2017-12-14 04:02 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"With a small gift of one million dollars..."

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-12-14 05:04 PM | Reply

I wonder how many of them claimed it on their taxes.

#5 | Posted by LEgregius at 2017-12-14 05:53 PM | Reply

It was reported he paid the taxes for them.

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-14 05:56 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-15 10:13 AM | Reply

"I bet if this had been a rich executive who had done this, this thread would be totally different. A rich guy giving millions to his friends without giving to the poor? But because it's liberal Clooney, you progressives give him a pass."

Progressives don't really seem to have a problem with rich people...so long as those rich people are progressives.

#8 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-15 10:37 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

You don't really think devoted progressives see themselves having the same standard of living as main street America, do you Boaz?

#9 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-15 10:38 AM | Reply

"Bernie can have as many houses as he wants. John McCain got skewered for having more than one house."

Not by any serious progressive, your desire to frame conservatives as victims is sort of pathetic.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-15 10:51 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"I bet if this had been a rich executive who had done this, this thread would be totally different."

Just point to that rich executive, but you can't because they don't hand out millions of dollars to their friends. Clooney realized that for him to enjoy his friends they needed to be able to have leisure time like he has and so he provided it.

#11 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-15 10:53 AM | Reply

#12 | Posted by schmanch at 2017-12-15 11:15 AM | Reply

"The difference is the rich Progressives supports the idea of raising wages for the poor and raising taxes on themselves."

Not in California they didn't.

#13 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-15 11:59 AM | Reply

#14 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-15 11:59 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

"And you don't need to raise taxes. No one is stopping you from buying someone a healthcare plan, paying for their college, or buying them a house."

In other words give them the same things that were given to you.

#15 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-15 12:13 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Or they just don't tell anyone about it.

In other words give them the same things that were given to you.

You liberals really do hate people who serve in the military, don't you? Why you equate military retirements with something being given is beyond me. Military retirements aren't given, they are earned and only 1% of this selfish nation even bothers to volunteer.

To think someone was dumb enough to give you a NW flag in itself is disturbing about progressives.

You really do hate people who earn things, respect you cant just be bestowed upon just anyone, don't you? I've sort of noticed that about liberals/progressives. You don't like it that in the world of true respect for actions, everyone doesn't get a medal..

#16 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-15 01:19 PM | Reply

So... Boaz and MythBomber are one in the same.

These two could be happy if only poor people didn't bribe Congress to write tax laws that benefited them and kept the playing field so uneven... oh, wait....

#17 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-15 01:25 PM | Reply

"In other words give them the same things that were given to you."

What was a given?

"So... Boaz and MythBomber are one in the same."

Two peas in a pod...like you and Danni

..."Dorky"

#18 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-15 03:08 PM | Reply

"You liberals really do hate people who serve in the military, don't you?"

I think it's a great opportunity.
But it's simply not feasible for everyone to join the military.
We can't all work for the government, someone has to generate some revenue to pay for... the government.

#19 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-15 03:20 PM | Reply

#20 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-15 03:21 PM | Reply

""You liberals really do hate people who serve in the military, don't you?"

I don't hate the military but I do question the intelligence of volunteers who allow themselves to be shipped overseas to fight people who never attacked us. You can wave flags all day long but most of wars have little or nothing to do with defending our country.

#21 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-15 03:23 PM | Reply

Danni,

And actually we do have friends in some area's we would like to remain our friends. So, just like France did, we sometimes protect our friends when they are facing a stronger threat.

#22 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-15 03:49 PM | Reply

"But it's simply not feasible for everyone to join the military."

All bickering aside, I'd support some sort of non-military civil service opportunities open up that would operate similar to ROTC programs for the military. Particularly in high demand, low density career fields like STEM and medicine. Provide scholarships and a stipend in return for four years of service post graduation.

"What if I just wanted America to pay down our debt as we did in the 1950's. But I guess Eisenhower was just a radical left wing pinko Commie, right?"

you mean reimplement a labor income tax starting at 22% for the lowest income earners???

Let's do it Dorky!

#23 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-15 03:52 PM | Reply

"I don't hate the military but I do question the intelligence of volunteers who allow themselves to be shipped overseas to fight people who never attacked us."

Like the Nazis?

#24 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-15 03:53 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Don't tell me you don't understand Worldwide Strategic policy. If we sat back and waited on every threat to gauge enough strength to attack us before doing something about it in their area's, we would be sitting ducks."

Baseless paranoia from a self-serving warmonger.

#25 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2017-12-15 03:57 PM | Reply

"Like the Nazis?"

I believe that WWII was a legitimate war that we needed to fight unlike the Iraq invasion and occupation.

#26 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-15 04:07 PM | Reply

MythBomber would be SO happy if only poor people didn't bribe Congress to write tax laws that benefited them and kept the playing field so uneven... oh, wait....

... he won't address the fact that it's actually his wealthy masters that write their own laws and then promise to Tinkle Down on him if he doesn't complain about how unfair that is to the average American... and then they never do.

#27 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-15 04:07 PM | Reply

"Like the Nazis?" - #24 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-15 03:53 PM

Germany declares war on the United States
I was right: You should ask for a 100% refund..

#28 | Posted by Hans at 2017-12-15 04:08 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

028.) If you're completely unaware that most of your Mega-Capitalist heroes would consider you an insignificant piece of ---- ... you might be a Libertarian.

100 Signs You Might Be a Libertarian...

internetisinamerica.blogspot.com

#29 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-15 04:10 PM | Reply

024.) If you tend to forget that the Gilded Age was ushered in due to government investments in railways ... you might be a Libertarian.

025.) Similarly, if you tend to leave out the G.I. Bill and the Interstate Highway System when discussing the Golden Era of Capitalism ... you might be a Libertarian.

037.) If you SWEAR you're not a Republican, even though your political ideology lines up perfectly with theirs ... you might be a Libertarian.

#30 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-15 04:14 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What day did Germany attack the US again?

"If you're completely unaware that most of your Mega-Capitalist heroes would consider you an insignificant piece of ---- ... you might be a Libertarian."

I guess the only question who would regard me as a bigger insignificant piece of ----...them or "Dorky."

#31 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-12-15 05:23 PM | Reply

- I guess

You obfuscate, more like. You have yet to tell us why it is fair game for the wealthy to pay for advantageous tax laws for themselves with political donations while whatever they get comes out of the pockets of the rest of the taxpayers.

And they never even Tinkle Down on you for your misplaced proxy vote.

#32 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-15 06:13 PM | Reply

"And they never even Tinkle Down on you for your misplaced proxy vote."

Seriously though. The phrase "useful idiot" was made for people like Bomber...

#33 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2017-12-15 06:37 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

What day did Germany attack the US again?

Well, they declared war against us on 12/11/41 when we declared war on their ally, Japan, following the Pearl Harbor attack four days earlier. I would have expected you to know military history better than that! Or maybe you're a bot.

#34 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-12-16 12:32 AM | Reply

What day did Germany attack the US again?

Mostly U-boat attacks off the east coast in early 1942.

#35 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-16 12:56 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Mostly U-boat attacks off the east coast in early 1942.

#35 | POSTED BY REDIAL

Right, because a declaration of war isn't reason enough.

#36 | Posted by WhoDaMan at 2017-12-16 07:27 AM | Reply

The German U-Boat campaign against the US in 1942 was effective and merciless. Some attacks we're pursued within view of bathers ashore.

#37 | Posted by Zed at 2017-12-16 01:12 PM | Reply