Wednesday, December 13, 2017

A former Facebook executive has said he feels "tremendous guilt" over his work on "tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works", joining a growing chorus of critics of the social media giant. Chamath Palihapitiya, who was vice president for user growth at Facebook before he left the company in 2011, said: "The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation, misinformation, mistruth." The remarks, which were made at a Stanford Business School event in November, were just surfaced by tech website the Verge on Monday.

Comments

"No civil discourse, no cooperation, misinformation, mistruth"

One reason my facebook is deactivated and has been for a couple of years. My wife and I have a joint account that's really just hers but I never get on it.

Another reason I don't FB is because of the large number of immature people who have no business using social media. It's like road rage from a smartphone.

#1 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-12-12 11:05 AM | Reply

One of many reasons why I have never had FB to being with....... My daughter has it but doesn't use it much, only uses it to keep up with family stuff....

#2 | Posted by PinkyanTheBrain at 2017-12-12 11:22 AM | Reply

I have to agree with this.
I checked my FB acct on election night 2016 (after only checking it a few times in the previous 6 months) and haven't logged in since.

In 2015 I noticed that every time I checked it - same ---.
The crazy right wing uncle posting about gay flag burners around every corner.
Someone you haven't seen in 20 years has AN AMAZING FAMILY AND JOB!!!
Dogs and kittens.
Stalkers.
Vanity posts.
Voyeurs.
Every little thing hyper-politicized.

So I don't go there any more.
Social media will go down as a blight on humanity, and 2016 will be remembered as the year we realized something smelled rotten in the fridge.

#3 | Posted by schifferbrains at 2017-12-12 11:55 AM | Reply

just cleaning under the rug, for once.

#4 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-12-12 01:35 PM | Reply

Same things were said about telephones, TV, radio, etc. It's the people who rely on social media for news and opinion, they are the problem not the vehice of that news and opinion. It is significant that so many can be so fooled into believing "fake news" so easily, the Donald Trump Presidency is evidence of that. It was no accident that Putin focused so much of his efforts to disrupt the American election on social media. My prediction: the collusion will be revealed to be so complete that Trump will be removed from office by a bipartisan agreement. He'll be lucky if he avoids prison. Best thing America could do right now is to invade Russia's social media and spread the word that Trump is only President because of Putin's interference.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-13 10:42 AM | Reply

Meh. You just have to use your brain. I rarely let anybody get to me, whether it's here or FB or Twitter. I still have friends who are far to the right of me on various platforms. I generally avoid the political with people I've known a long time, even when I disagree with them -- and even when they don't show me the same courtesy.

The problem with social media is that some people have no critical-thinking filter and are easy prey for ideologues and ne'er-do-wells intent on deceiving them with phony stories and other types of misleading content. Trust nothing without checking it out first. Hold back and consider your words before pouncing on someone. Do your best to avoid generalizations. Speak with respect.

I admit I don't always follow my own advice, but I'm working on it!

#6 | Posted by cbob at 2017-12-13 12:02 PM | Reply

It's not ripping anything apart. It's creating a new type of society. Societies change all the time and we are still here to talk about it. The previous society didn't have digital things. The new society does. There are ramifications of that. Get used to it.

#7 | Posted by humtake at 2017-12-13 12:30 PM | Reply

I'm not a big facebook user, but this is an "operator error" not a problem with the service. Facebook, Twitter, Snapjunk whatever are all SOCIAL media tools. The point is to SOCIALIZE, not to get your news, political views or other matters of civil discourse. These platforms are for keeping up with distant friends and family, stalking exes, showing off your food, your dog and your penis. Preferably not all in the same post.

Jerks are ripping this country apart; orange, small handed, child raping, horse abusing, mall creeping, Diet coke guzzling jerks.

#8 | Posted by leadbelly at 2017-12-13 02:37 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by humtake

Society is getting worse.

#9 | Posted by SpeakSoftly at 2017-12-13 03:54 PM | Reply

"The previous society had an ATTENTION SPAN. The previous society READ BOOKS. The previous society didn't watch real housewives, MMA fighting, or elect anyone like trump.
Society is getting worse."

TL;DR

;)

#10 | Posted by DirkStruan at 2017-12-13 04:01 PM | Reply

"My wife and I have a joint account that's really just hers but I never get on it.
#1 | POSTED BY LFTHNDTHRDS"

We know. (She's quite the exhibitionist.)

#11 | Posted by mOntecOre at 2017-12-13 05:04 PM | Reply

Get over yourself. FB isn't all that.

#12 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-12-13 06:41 PM | Reply