Sunday, December 10, 2017

Newly released body camera footage shows a police officer shooting an unarmed man in an Arizona hotel after the man sobbed and pleaded with officers not to shoot him. The graphic video, which was released after a jury on Thursday acquitted the officer of murder and manslaughter charges, stoked outrage on social media and renewed calls for reforms in law enforcement.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

The officer's commands at times seemed contradictory.

"Do not put your hands down for any reason," he tells Mr. Shaver. "Your hands go back in the small of your back or down, we are going to shoot you, do you understand me?"

"Yes, sir," a tearful Mr. Shaver responds.

But immediately after, the officer commands, "Crawl towards me," prompting Mr. Shaver to lower his hands to the floor and begin moving toward the camera.

On Jan. 18, 2016, six officers were called to a La Quinta Inn and Suites in Mesa, Ariz., after guests reported seeing a man with a gun in the window of a fifth-floor room. The video showed Mr. Shaver and a woman walking into a hallway as Philip Brailsford, a two-year veteran of the Mesa Police Department who was wearing the body camera, trained an AR-15 rifle on them.

The police later learned that Mr. Shaver, who was from Granbury, Tex., had been in his room showing off a pellet gun, which he used for his job in pest control, before being summoned by officers into the hallway. A witness testified that Mr. Shaver had been drinking.

Comments

oh for ----- sake that is disturbing. There is no way that police officer wasn't guilty of murder.

A COP SHOULD NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DISCHARGE HIS WEAPON WITHOUT SEEING A GUN!

#1 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-12-10 10:52 AM | Reply

Did he follow the officer's command? Was he reported as having a gun? What part of doing what the officer tells you to do don't you understand?

By the way mrs, most cops I know don't like the cameras and wished they didn't have to wear them.

#3 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-12-10 04:17 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Wow there's a shock! In other news water is wet, the sun rises in the east and fire is hot.

Hey I don't like the GPS tracker in my van but my boss wants it there just like the cops bosses (taxpayers) want them to have cameras. Guess we both just have to live with it.

#4 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-12-10 04:29 PM | Reply

#3 - Who gives a crap if the cops like it. If they don't want to wear a body camera they can get a different job.

#5 | Posted by schmanch at 2017-12-10 04:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Sniper - these issues are discussed in the summary. The summary is just above your comment, near the top of the page. Please let me know if you need any further help finding this information.

#6 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-12-10 05:27 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Well, based on the evidence, I have to agree with the jury. Horrorable outcome though. And all the cops I know want cameras.

#7 | Posted by Daniel at 2017-12-10 07:21 PM | Reply

...the crux of the case was the impossibility of knowing what Officer Brailsford was thinking.

Ain't it always?

#8 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-10 07:57 PM | Reply

#7 | Posted by Daniel

The guy didn't have a gun

A COP DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DISCHARGE HIS WEAPON WITHOUT SEEING A GUN!

#9 | Posted by truthhurts at 2017-12-10 08:12 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Murder by cop. Just one of many such stories in America because the rich want us to poop our pants if the cops show up for any reason. They want us all to live in fear because they think that will prevent us from ever rising up against the powerful, rich elite.

#10 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-10 08:24 PM | Reply

I didn't want to watch that because it was in my neighborhood and I probably pass that cop every day.

The victim broke no laws.

6 cops respond, when the guy is flat on the ground with his arms out and legs crossed another officer slams his boot in the back of your neck and 2 more shoves your arms so far up your back you didn't know they could go that far. I know from experience.

He broke no laws, we all have guns here and you can drink til you puke in your room.

Daniel....well I don't get your logic, it could happen to you or a family member.

I saw an authoritarian and a coward.

I hope my privacy is protected on this cite.

#11 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-12-10 09:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 posted funny by avigadore....WTF???????

#12 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-12-10 11:33 PM | Reply

#9 posted funny by avigadore....WTF???????

#12 | POSTED BY BRUCEAZ

I'm pretty sure he voted for the guy who thinks one of the biggest problems we face as a country is that cops don't use enough force.

Maybe they can get it written into the 2020 platform.

#13 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-12-11 06:21 AM | Reply

Where are the guns rights activists supporting this guy? He did nothing illegal, Arizona is an open carry state. I'm guessing he's black.

#14 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-12-11 08:03 AM | Reply

Your guess is incorrect, #14.

Which makes me wonder where "all lives matter" is..

#15 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-12-11 08:24 AM | Reply

This case is by no means, over.

#16 | Posted by shane at 2017-12-11 02:15 PM | Reply

It's very disturbing. These people were clearly intimidated. It seems they were trying very hard to cooperate with this, trigger happy, stupid cops confusing commands. He needs to be held accountable.

I smell a packed jury. If I was on it,I would've hung this jury up like crazy.

#17 | Posted by shane at 2017-12-11 03:27 PM | Reply