Saturday, December 09, 2017

Shohei Ohtani has decided he's on the side of the Angels. The Japanese two-way star announced Friday he will sign with the Los Angeles Angels, ending the sweepstakes surrounding his move to the majors in a surprising decision. Ohtani, who intends to be both a starting pitcher and an everyday power hitter, turned down interest from every other big-league club to join two-time MVP Mike Trout and slugger Albert Pujols with the Angels, who are coming off their second consecutive losing season and haven't won a playoff game since 2009.

Comments

... starting pitcher ...

Oh... so... baseball.

The Los Angeles Angels are a baseball team?

Majors? or farm league?

#1 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-09 09:45 PM | Reply

Never too early to start planning for 2018 fantasy drafts.

#2 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-12-09 10:36 PM | Reply

@#2 ... fantasy drafts. ...

Back when I was in college, more than a couple three decades ago, I used to play the fantasy sport games with the people in my dorm.

I used to win more frequently than random chance (much more frequently). Talking with the participants afterwards, we attributed it not to my complete lack of knowledge of sports, but to my ability to look at the statistics of the the players and use a player where his stats showed he would be good.

In other words, I was not enamored with the "star" aura of the payer, I just looked at his stats.

What I found to be quite interesting was that even after we discussed this strategy of mine, that the sports enthusiasts were not able to move beyond their idolatry of the players.

Never underestimate the ability of star power to skew the logical reasoning of the person you are trying to scam.

imo, of course.

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-09 10:48 PM | Reply

Let me get this straight. A guy who wants to be a power-hitting starting pitcher chooses an American League team where they have the DH?

Huh?

#4 | Posted by hoser at 2017-12-10 09:32 AM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY LAMPLIGHTER

Every baseball season I play in about 5 or 6 fantasy leagues, mostly yahoo public leagues where I set the team on auto-pick for the draft, and let the algorithm select my players.

I'm also involved in a few keeper leagues, one which is a dynasty league (our inaugural dynasty draft was back in 2007) and in these leagues we do slow drafts over about 3 or 4 weeks, and with the dynasty league we have minor league rosters where we're drafting prospects ... in dynasty I had the 2017 regular season's best record, but lost in the semi-finals because of the big ogre named Aaron Judge.

As for Shohei Ohtani, he was taken 3 seasons ago in my dynasty league.

I've found that "playing favorites" is part of the fun, and I definitely have my favorite players ... however, if one does their homework well enough, one will find that there are plenty-o-fish in the sea where falling in love with a player is pretty easy -- hahaha.

Tonight MLB's Baseball's Winter Meetings officially kicks off, and I'll be watching to hear every trade rumor, talking head analytical innuendo real and imagined, all the while checking and double-checking my dynasty team's depth-chart/spreadsheet -- I luv this stuff, everyone needs a hobby!

#5 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-12-10 10:24 AM | Reply

Oh... so... baseball. The Los Angeles Angels are a baseball team? Majors? or farm league?

Why do people so proudly display their own ignorance, as if this is some useful or humorous post?

#6 | Posted by JOE at 2017-12-10 10:59 AM | Reply

Huh?

#4 | POSTED BY HOSER AT 2017-12-10 09:32 AM

I hope that was sarcasm, since that is the only way a pitcher would be able to bat during his recovery days. It would have made zero sense for Ohtani to join a National League team since he would have to play in the field to get at bats.

Not a Halos fan but this was a good choice by Othani, to be able to play with the best player in the Major Leagues while he matures in MLB will take the pressure off him.

#7 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-12-10 03:08 PM | Reply

As for Shohei Ohtani, he was taken 3 seasons ago in my dynasty league.

That would have been impossible in my Roto League, you can't take a player who isn't on an opening day roster and our minor league drafts are limited to players actually in the minor leagues.

#8 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-12-10 03:59 PM | Reply

#8 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

We do the exact opposite. Another example is the owner of Yu Darvish in my dynasty league had drafted him a full 3 years before he came stateside.

You should petition to loosen up the minor league drafting rules in your keeper league -- it levels everything out, and makes you really do your homework.

#9 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-12-10 04:58 PM | Reply

Jack Morris and Alan Trammell voted in baseball's HoF ...

Back when the idea of female sportswriters was controversial, Jack Morris was a complete Neanderthal to reporter Jennifer Frey ...

www.washingtonpost.com

Ms. Frey quickly learned the obstacles she would face as a female sportswriter. As an intern for the Detroit Free Press, she approached Detroit Tigers pitcher Jack Morris in the clubhouse.

"I don't talk to women when I'm naked unless they're on top of me or I'm on top of them," she recalled the athlete telling her.

When the newspaper complained about Ms. Frey's treatment, Bo Schembechler, then-president of the Tigers, wrote to the publisher that the pitcher's remark was "predictable" and accused the newspaper of displaying a "lack of common sense" by dispatching Ms. Frey on the assignment.

Morris had "proceeded to answer questions from male reporters," Ms. Frey told an interviewer. "It was merely because of my sex that I couldn't do my job."

#10 | Posted by PinchALoaf at 2017-12-10 07:05 PM | Reply

Uh huh. Just like every NCAA football QB prospect is a runner and a thrower. Works wonders in the big leagues.

#11 | Posted by humtake at 2017-12-11 11:30 AM | Reply