Thursday, December 07, 2017

Dylan Scott, Vox: Dollar General, with about 14,000 stores across the country and a $22 billion market value, targets customers making $40,000 a year or less. They are expanding, CEO Todd Vasos told the Journal. Why? "The economy is continuing to create more of our core customer," Vasos said. This is how he described the typical Dollar General customer: "Doesn't look at her pantry or her refrigerator and say, 'You know, I'm going to be out of ketchup in the next few days. I'm going to order a few bottles. The core customer uses the last bit of ketchup at the table the night prior, and either on her way to work or on her way home picks up one bottle."

Comments

And why is this surprising?

#1 | Posted by rosemountbomber at 2017-12-07 09:29 AM | Reply

"targets customers making $40,000 a year or less. They are expanding, CEO Todd Vasos told the Journal. Why? "The economy is continuing to create more of our core customer,""

excited!

Gognolstangtoecentre

#2 | Posted by ChiefTutMoses at 2017-12-07 10:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Trump is a chump. Everything he does betrays the populist element of his campaign. But the globalization of the economy, which has put many US workers at grave disadvantage, is not new. It has been the plan of the 1% through Obama and Clinton, as much as Reagan, both Bushes and now Trump. We live in a fake democracy where elections are used as a pacification tool. Obama targeted blacks and other minorities, Trump targeted illiterate whites, a rather large group in the USA.

#3 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-12-07 10:56 AM | Reply

The answer is to give rich people tax cuts.

#4 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-07 11:45 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

Dollar General is great. I think the smallish store size has a huge impact. Fits a small community great, offers a lot of convenience and wide variety of products.

#5 | Posted by Pirate at 2017-12-07 01:54 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 4

"Wow, this plankton's only thirty-three cents!" – Homer Simpson
"Um, according to the Mexican Council of Food, this expired two years ago." – Lisa Simpson
"Sure, by their standards, but we live in America." – Homer Simpson

#6 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-07 03:07 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I've actually used "Dollar Stores" for 20 plus years now.

There are a lot of knick-knack household items that I think we overpay for; and you can get them at these dollar stores for, well,.. a buck. I prefer the "Dollar Tree" myself.

#7 | Posted by shane at 2017-12-07 03:47 PM | Reply

The newest commercial building in a lot of small towns in rural America are Dollar Generals.

They are staffed with 2 people or so. customers tend to know exactly what they need and require little assistance.

There is one on the way to a movie theatre we go to...it's a tradition for us to stop and load up with candy to sneak into the theatre.

Yeah...customers look rough as well as the employees.

#8 | Posted by eberly at 2017-12-07 04:13 PM | Reply

My sister works at a Dollar General in small town in PA. She said the store is one of the busiest around. They recently moved to a bigger building, extended their hours and hired more employees. She also said they do such a good business because there is only one (grocery) store in town, which has high prices and isn't open as many hours.

#9 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-12-07 04:25 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Dollar General is great. ...offers a lot of convenience and wide variety of products.
#5 | Posted by Pirate

Actually, they sell mostly crap.
In my scooter travels on small roads in the South and Mid-West I pass through a million one-horse towns. Often the only business "Downtown" is a Dollar General or Family Dollar.
I could not find a jelly or jam there that did not have high-fructose corn syrup. Most of the food there is convenience-quality dreck.

#10 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-12-07 05:53 PM | Reply

So no free range organically grown fair trade arugula? No thanks.

#11 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-07 06:01 PM | Reply | Funny: 3

Um, that would be a NO.

Obama, during his "low" inflation, created more service level jobs than anyone in history.

At least be honest with yourself in who created this service economy.

#12 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-08 09:33 AM | Reply

I live out in the booneys. A few years ago, we had to drive about 7 miles to the nearest Kroger, and 10 miles to a Publix. Now, there are 3 Dollar Generals and one Family Dollar between my house and those large grocery stores. Why would I drive all the way to Kroger, when i can drive one mile and buy the same bottle of ketchup for 75% of the price of the same bottle at Kroger?

A new DG just opened, not 3 weeks ago, one mile from my house, and they have Tombstone pizzas for $2.50 each. You can't afford to not buy those.

#13 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-12-08 09:41 AM | Reply

Posted by kudzu at 2017-12-08 09:41 AM | Reply

Are tombstone pizzas any good???

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-08 09:43 AM | Reply

"Why would I drive all the way to Kroger, when i can drive one mile and buy the same bottle of ketchup for 75% of the price of the same bottle at Kroger?"

Because the Heinz at Kroger probably came from Heinz.

"Are tombstone pizzas any good?"

They'll put you in your grave.

#15 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-08 09:51 AM | Reply

When you are talking about "dollar stores" I have found that several of the chains don't really offer much of a bargain but "Dollar Tree" offers everyting for $1.00. That's a bargain, I don't waste my time with the other chains. Poor service, long lines and prices similar to what I pay at Publix. Better service, shorter lines at Publix.

#16 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-08 09:55 AM | Reply

#13- sure, you can buy the same bottle of dreck anywhere. Now if you want ketchup that actually contains food, you're SOL.

#17 | Posted by TFDNihilist at 2017-12-08 09:58 AM | Reply

They'll put you in your grave.

Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-08 09:51 AM | Reply

I wouldn't doubt that any. Especially considering I have like no metabolism anymore.

#18 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-08 09:58 AM | Reply

Dollar General has been around for a long time. I met Cal Turner Sr(founder) at a barber shop in Scottsville, Ky back in the 80's. He said that during times of economic prosperity, his business saw robust growth. But during recessions and economic downturns, his business exploded. The man definitely had it figured out.

#19 | Posted by Daniel at 2017-12-08 10:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Are tombstone pizzas any good???

#14 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

no, not at all. if you want a good pizza, tombstone pizzas are like buying Boones Farm if you want good wine.

#20 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-12-08 10:53 AM | Reply

Kids in the neighborhood are also making a killing in this economy.

The adults that took over yard work, cutting grass, shoveling snow - they all put the little guys (no pun intended) out of work.

Now, kids can offer a cheaper price and hopefully the adult-monopolizers will go away. Plus, adults are ignorant when it comes to parking their cars on streets with their trailers. Never off the road and not very friendly.

Kids always were great workers, smiled, loved the tips, and it was rain or snow - they did it.
Still pay them for those jobs - I won't support those adults that put them out.

I remember doing those jobs.

#21 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-12-08 10:59 AM | Reply

I like Tombstone Pizza with Boone's Farm Wine.

#22 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-08 11:13 AM | Reply

Are tombstone pizzas any good???

#14 | Posted by LauraMohr

Laura,

None of the hot, passable Transgenders, MTF, with pretty feet eat tombstone.

I suggest you don't start. Eat a salad.

#23 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-08 12:06 PM | Reply

#14 LauraMohr
Laura, what Boaz said in #23, good, maybe, good for you, not so much.

#24 | Posted by Whizzo at 2017-12-08 12:59 PM | Reply

Laura,

None of the hot, passable Transgenders, MTF, with pretty feet eat tombstone.

I suggest you don't start. Eat a salad.

#23 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-08 12:06 PM | Reply | Flag:

You obviously want me so I'll make you a deal. You send me a round trip ticket and I'm yours for 72 hours. I can't say no at all. Let's get it out of your system. As they say ball's in your court. Are you MAN enough to handle this???

#25 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-08 01:03 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

"You obviously want me so I'll make you a deal. You send me a round trip ticket..." - #25 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-08 01:03 PM

If memory serves, last time pfc. boazo had the woman drive to him.

Good luck on getting a round trip ticket, Laura.

#26 | Posted by Hans at 2017-12-08 01:08 PM | Reply

Seventy-two hours? Are you planning to just snuggle for seventy-one hours and fifty-five minutes?

#27 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-08 01:42 PM | Reply

Posted by visitor_ at 2017-12-08 01:42 PM | Reply

You stay out of this. It doesn't concern you.

#28 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-08 01:59 PM | Reply

PETROUS @ 21

"I remember doing those jobs."

Me, too. Growing up poor I worked for everything I wanted to buy. It took time(payments) but I did it ~ and I learned to appreciate, value and care for the things I worked so hard to have. It's a lesson that has stuck with me my entire life.

Kids have changed a lot since thoe days.

#29 | Posted by Twinpac at 2017-12-08 02:10 PM | Reply

You guys are hilarious.

#30 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-08 03:32 PM | Reply

#25 I have a problem with this...is it ball's or balls.
Then again, depending on gender- you may have them while you don't or don't when you do.

This is all too confusing

#31 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-12-08 04:19 PM | Reply

This is all too confusing

#31 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-12-08 04:19 PM | Reply | Flag:

B A L L ' S As in Ball is. Not a quantity of 2 balls.

#32 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-08 07:58 PM | Reply

Back to "Dollar General Succeeds in Places Economy Failed" ...

I know of a perfect example but suffice to say, Dollar General follows a plan for sucess that I have known for years.

Find a nitch and fill it.

#33 | Posted by Twinpac at 2017-12-09 02:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#14 | POSTED BY LAURAMOHR

For 2.5 Ameros you will not be getting 12-15 inches of pie-r-squared solid pepperoni, pie-r-squared 3/8" mozzarella cheese, or a tasty artisan crust like from a pizzaria, where you could expect to pay 15-17 Ameros for the described pizza. You might want to avoid Dollar General.

#34 | Posted by john47 at 2017-12-09 07:18 AM | Reply