Wednesday, December 06, 2017

Recently, actor Bill Murray visited Prine backstage and while flipping through Prine's Beyond Words songbook, released last April, recalled that during a depressive state his friend Hunter S. Thompson told him he would "have to rely on John Prine's humor" to get him through it.

In the video above, Murray reveals that the song that finally lifted him out of his funk was "Linda Goes to Mars," from Prine's 1986 LP German Afternoons.

John Prine, whose 2017 highlights included headlining the Newport Folk Festival, releasing his first-ever book, John Prine Beyond Words, and winning Artist of the Year at the Americana Music Honors & Awards ceremony in September, already has a memorable 2018 shaping up, including a spring tour and the release of new music.

Comments

Linda Goes To Mars lyrics

www.lyricsfreak.com

#1 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-06 10:10 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"Newport Folk Festival"

This reminds me of a funny Wheel of Fortune episode I saw once. It was clear the first and last word were "Newport" and "Festival", and the contestant tried to solve the puzzle with "Newport Mime Festival".

#2 | Posted by sentinel at 2017-12-07 11:26 AM | Reply

"Newport Mime Festival"

Probably two weeks later.

Of course...not much is said about it.

#3 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-07 11:32 AM | Reply

said = spoken

I hate ruining a punch line.

#4 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-07 11:33 AM | Reply

Video in which Murray does an admirable Hunter S. Thompson impression.

Bill Murray, John Prine, and Hunter S. Thompson .... it's like the old school Father, Son, and the Holy Haint.

#5 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-07 12:20 PM | Reply

I pride myself on knowing and appreciating eclectic and even art music, but i have never understood John Prine.

His music depresses the hell out of me.

#6 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-12-07 02:05 PM | Reply

"Poets are shameless with their experiences: they exploit them."

--Friedrich Nietzsche

#7 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-07 02:34 PM | Reply

Illegal Smile lyrics.

When I woke up this morning, things were lookin' bad
Seem like total silence was the only friend I had
Bowl of oatmeal tried to stare me down... and won
And it was twelve o'clock before I realized
That I was havin' no fun

But fortunately I have the key to escape reality

And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
It don't cost very much, but it lasts a long while
Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun

Last time I checked my bankroll,
It was gettin' thin
Sometimes it seems like the bottom
Is the only place I've been
I Chased a rainbow down a one-way street dead end
And all my friends turned out to be insurance salesmen
But fortunately I have the key to escape reality

And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
It don't cost very much, but it lasts a long while
Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun

Well, I sat down in my closet with all my overalls
Tryin' to get away
From all the ears inside my walls

I dreamed the police heard
Everything I thought... what then?
Well I went to court
And the judge's name was Hoffman

Ah but fortunately, I have the key to escape reality.

And you may see me tonight with an illegal smile
It don't cost very much, but it lasts a long while
Won't you please tell the man I didn't kill anyone
No I'm just tryin' to have me some fun
Well done, hot dog bun, my sister's a nun

#8 | Posted by oldwhiskeysour at 2017-12-07 02:37 PM | Reply

John Prine is one of those artists that if you don't know who he is, you probably have no taste in music.

#9 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-07 02:45 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

YouTube John Prine Happy Enchilada

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-07 02:47 PM | Reply

Probably why no true Scotsman likes bagpipe music. ☺

(Sorry Snoofy, I couldn't resist).

#11 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-07 03:00 PM | Reply

Grandpa Was A Carpenter

Chorus:
Grandpa was a carpenter
He built houses stores and banks
Chain smoked camel cigarettes
And hammered nails in planks
He was level on the level
And shaved even every door
And voted for eisenhower
'cause lincoln won the war.

lyrics

www.lyricsfreak.com

www.youtube.com

#12 | Posted by Corky at 2017-12-07 03:05 PM | Reply

John Prine -Your Flag Decal Won't Get You Into Heaven Anymore

#13 | Posted by Angrydad at 2017-12-08 07:58 PM | Reply

Blow up your TV!

#14 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-08 08:05 PM | Reply

Gonna put a John Prine record on..

#15 | Posted by MrSilenceDogood at 2017-12-09 06:46 PM | Reply

While digesting Reader's Digest in the back of a dirty book store A plastic flag, with gum on the back fell out on the floor. Well, I picked it up and I ran outside, slapped it on my window shield
And if I could see old Betsy Ross I'd tell her how good I feel

But your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore
They're already overcrowded from your dirty little war
Now Jesus don't like killin', no matter what the reason's for
And your flag decal won't get you into Heaven anymore

(1971 release)