Tuesday, December 05, 2017

John Anderson, the longtime GOP congressman from Illinois who bolted his party in 1980 to run as an independent against President Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan, has died. He was 95. His daughter, Diane Anderson, confirmed her father's death on Sunday night in Washington, D.C. after a long illness. ... NPR's Brian Naylor writes: "With his shock of white hair and glasses, Anderson looked more a college professor than a politician when he ran for president in 1980, first as a Republican. But after losing the GOP primary in his home state of Illinois to Ronald Reagan, he decided to run as an independent. He called his [run] 'a campaign of ideas.'"

Comments

I was a big fan of Anderson's candidacy in 1980 when I was 13. His symbol was the aardvark.

#1 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-05 07:18 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I would have liked to hear his perspective on the hijacking of the GOP by teajadists these last 6 years. It sure isn't the party it was...

#2 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-12-05 07:28 PM | Reply

I was a big fan of him too and I worked my butt off for his campaign for President, I didn't remember his symbol was a aardvark

#3 | Posted by PunchyPossum at 2017-12-05 07:44 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Jimmy Carter was probably the most honorable man we have had as President in a very long time, and no, I did not support John Anderson who ran third party and helped Reagan win. We would live in a different country today had Reagan lost and it would be a better country. We live in a nation that has, not Constitutionally but realistically, a two party system. Third party candidates are spoilers who help the right gain power every time the run.

#4 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-05 08:32 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

BTW, in 1980 I was married, had two kids and a mortgage. I understood exactly what was going on in politics and I knew that RR was going to be a disaster for the working class which I was/am a member of. Anything that helped RR to win was a bad thing and any third party candidate that was savvy enough to get as far as Anderson knew that, he like a few others, put his ego ahead of the welfare of the majority or working class Americans. I truly am tired of these guys who can't win the nomination of a major party but then just go help Republicans to f**k the rest of us.

#5 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-05 08:36 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Danni,

Reagan was the best thing this country needed at the time. To talk like you do is so partisan. People like you, who cant see both sides are truly the problem with today's world.

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-06 08:19 AM | Reply | Funny: 2

"People like you, who cant see both sides are truly the problem with today's world."
~Boaz

My irony meter just exploded.

#7 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-06 08:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

My irony meter just exploded.

Better leave it alone or you'll go blind.

#8 | Posted by Daniel at 2017-12-06 08:44 AM | Reply

"Reagan was the best thing this country needed at the time. To talk like you do is so partisan."

Yeah American need a union busting, tax cutting maniac to triple the debt and put us on a course to end up with 20 trillion dollars of debt so that rich folks don't have to pay taxes. And I do see both sides but I am able to recognize when one side is only concerned with tax cuts for rich people and will justify them no matter what the consequences are for the nation. We now have President Trump who is basically operating on the same philosophy, we recently saw what happened when George Bush operated on that philosophy. How many times do the Republicans get to destroy the economy?

#9 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-06 08:54 AM | Reply

#6 | Posted by boaz at 2017-12-06 08:19 AM | Reply | Flag:

That is the funniest thing I've read here on so many levels.

#10 | Posted by 726 at 2017-12-06 09:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

tax cutting maniac

No wonder he is a hero to the moronic right.

#11 | Posted by 726 at 2017-12-06 09:13 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"Raygun passed the biggest tax cut for the 1% in history. He subsequently passed the largest tax increases on the middle class in history."

Agreed.

Reagan increased more taxes for more Americans than any other President in my professional lifetime.

#12 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-06 09:19 AM | Reply