Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Starbucks is opening one store in China every 15 hours, the company's China CEO, Belinda Wong, told Squawk Box. China has become Starbucks' second largest and fastest growing market, and one the company expects to eclipse the U.S. market one day. Starbucks already operates more than 3,000 stores in the country and 2,000 more by 2021. The company on Tuesday company opened a 30,000-square-foot Reserve Roastery in Shanghai, its flashiest commitment to its growing Chinese business. It's the second Starbucks' Roastery to open and is twice the size of its flagship location in Seattle. Starbucks is now building more net new company-operated stores in China than in the U.S., said CEO Kevin Johnson, who replaced CEO Howard Schultz in April when the longtime leader transitioned into the role of executive chairman.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In China, Starbucks' young baristas and shift supervisors receive a housing allowance subsidy, Wong said. The idea is to give those employees who have likely just finished college financial security.

Comparable-sales growth in China is outpacing the U.S. Last quarter, China posted an 8 percent increase, compared with a 3 percent gain in the U.S., excluding impacts from Hurricanes Harvey and Irma.

Starbucks is serving more than 5 million customers in China per week, Johnson said. Most of those visits occur between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m., but he said the stores are starting to see more residents adopt the American habit of drinking coffee in the morning.

Comments

So what? Our local Starbucks opens every single day and has for years.

#1 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-05 05:57 PM | Reply | Funny: 4

Starbucks is for snooty people.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-05 06:06 PM | Reply

Snooty by Kansas standards sure is different than La Jolla!

#3 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-05 06:22 PM | Reply

So what? Our local Starbucks opens every single day and has for years.

#1 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2017-12-05 05:57 PM | FLAG:

Don't tell me - you'll be here all week? Tip our wait staff? Try the veal?

#4 | Posted by cbob at 2017-12-05 06:25 PM | Reply

2: Starbucks is not snooty. They have a good product for a reasonable price.
www.google.com
Where do you figure you can get a better product for less than about $2/cup?

If it's too expensive for you in their stores, you can buy whole beans or grounds at most grocery stores and brew your own.

#5 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2017-12-05 07:39 PM | Reply

#5 - On nearly every street corner in town. Starbucks is merely an example of great branding. Don't try to pretend their coffee is delicious. I can grab a french press for a few bucks at about 12 different places on my way to work. But then again I live in Portland.

#1 - FF for Rcade

#6 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-12-05 08:01 PM | Reply

I said they have a good product for a reasonable price. I'm not claiming it is the best in the world.
I'm sure you, as a resident of Portland can give us a lengthy lecture about how only you have the best coffee available. That wouldn't be snooty at all.

#7 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2017-12-05 08:28 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Where do you figure you can get a better product for less than about $2/cup?

McDonald's. I know this is sacrilege, but I think its coffee is better -- though I did hear a friend of a friend horror story about the inside of Mickey D's coffee machine which haunts me.

95% of the time I just brew coffee at home.

#8 | Posted by rcade at 2017-12-05 10:11 PM | Reply

2: Starbucks is not snooty. They have a good product for a reasonable price.
www.google.com
Where do you figure you can get a better product for less than about $2/cup?

#5 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2017-12-05 07:39 PM | Reply | Flag:

THIS www.amazon.com

PLUS

THISwww.samsclub.com

EQUALSBetter cheaper coffee.

#9 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-05 10:35 PM | Reply

I see Laura drinks Folgers. Out of a percolator.

I can't decide to flag that "offensive" or "abusive."

#10 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-05 10:39 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I can't think of Any Coffee that is as Tasty as Illy !!!
Starbucks is Kool Aid r Sugared Crap try it :)
www.illy.com - dark

#11 | Posted by rwrtaz at 2017-12-06 02:00 AM | Reply

Oh and Folgers instant coffee rocks too.

#12 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-12-06 05:40 AM | Reply

Starbucks is Kool Aid r Sugared Crap try it :)

If you don't like coffee with sugared crap in it, order it without the sugared crap.

#13 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-12-06 07:11 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

#13 | POSTED BY REDIAL AT 2017-12-06 07:11 AM | FLAG:

Let me write this down. don't... get... sugared crap... What a concept!

All I ever get at Starbucks is plain coffee - the strongest brew they have that day. Sorry to all you haters, but I think they make a decent cup of coffee. Are there better local coffee shops? Yes. But in a pinch, I'm fine with Starbucks.

When I order, I say small, medium, or large. I refuse to use their stupid size names.

#14 | Posted by cbob at 2017-12-06 10:37 AM | Reply

#7 | POSTED BY WOE_IS_W

I just disagree that they have a good product. I prefer my grandmother's Cafe Vienna instant coffee to Starbucks. You don't have to be from PDX to know *$ tastes like &#%^.

#15 | Posted by gavaster at 2017-12-06 10:43 AM | Reply

I agree completely with what cbob said in #14. Whenever I go to Starbucks (not very often) I always get their regular coffees, not the fancier, pricier, and calorie laden drinks.
Gavaster, just because you may not like their coffee doesn't mean that it's crap. It's about individual taste. So can we agree to disagree?
Like rcade, I almost always brew my own at home, often using Starbucks, Gevalia, or Panera grounds/beans.

#16 | Posted by woe_is_W at 2017-12-06 12:20 PM | Reply

I have a friend in Bolivia who sends me coffee from his plantation. He spun the online dating roulette wheel and it stopped on "Beautiful Bolivian Coffee Heiress". He left the country and married her. They have a couple kids now. You haven't lived until you've tasted coffee that was hand picked, roasted, and sent fedex the same day with a brief stop to get cut open by homeland security.

#17 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-12-06 01:23 PM | Reply

I like Starbucks Grande Covfefe. I wonder if they'll offer it in China?

#18 | Posted by Whizzo at 2017-12-06 02:24 PM | Reply

WOE_IS_W, try Gevalia's Kenya whole bean coffee. I used to think Maui Coffee Company's 100% Kona Macadamia Nut was the best coffee on Earth.

www.gevalia.com

#19 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-12-06 02:42 PM | Reply

madscientist - I have tried that one. I agree, it's very good. Gevalia has a lot of good ones.
Thanks