Wednesday, December 06, 2017

ShareBlue: West Virginia Republican Sen. Shelley Moore Capito is pushing her party to ram through its unpopular tax scam bill before more Americans discover what's actually in it. Appearing on the right-wing propaganda network Fox News, Capito revealed the cynical strategy she is advocating now that the House and Senate are working on a final version of the bill. The legislation enshrines giant giveaways to major corporations and the idle rich and is loaded with unpopular provisions. Capito tacitly admitted this fact, saying, "The more time that goes, I think the more nitpicking and the more likelihood that one member or another may find a certain thing they don't like."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Instead of favoring a calm and reasoned approach to legislation that seeks to rewrite the rules for millions of people, the entire economy, and by virtue of America's size, the world's economy, Capito said Congress needed to shove the bill through "as quickly as possible."

Comments

The SC is responsible for this bill, they decided that money is = free speech. Rich folks can now talk far louder than anyone else so they get what they want. Make no mistake, when Scalia and Thomas and the rest decided CU they knew what they were doing, this is not an unforeseen consequence, it is the reason they decided as they did. It was their intent to empower the rich and the corporations to rule with an iron fist over the rest of us. It is Fascism, it's what they truly believe America needs. Republicans should just, at least be honest about it though. Change the name of your party to the Fascist Party of America. Truth in advertising should apply to politics.

#1 | Posted by danni at 2017-12-05 08:47 AM | Reply

"Ram tax bill through so nobody figures out what's in it"

Hmm, this sounds vaguely familiar to a previous piece of legislation that was passed. Karma's bitch.

#2 | Posted by Daniel at 2017-12-05 08:58 AM | Reply | Funny: 3 | Newsworthy 1

The tax bill will be judged on it's merits just as Obamacare has been.

#3 | Posted by sawdust at 2017-12-05 09:19 AM | Reply

Vaguely familiar is about right. Vaguely as in very vague. Very very very.

wonkette.com

www.snopes.com

#4 | Posted by 726 at 2017-12-05 09:22 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Karma's bitch.

#2 | Posted by Daniel at 2017-12-05 08:58 AMFlag: (Choose)FunnyNewsworthyOffensiveAbusive | Funny: 1 | Newsworthy 1

Your Republican Senators and alleged President are the female dogs here, DANIEL. What I find fascinating about people like you and your running dogs is that you think that no one will get to read this bill, ever.

I plan to have a grand day spending my money on booze, movies, and women. What have you got planned?

#5 | Posted by Zed at 2017-12-05 09:37 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

"Hmm, this sounds vaguely familiar to a previous piece of legislation that was passed."

And you hated it then, but love it now. What changed?

#6 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-05 09:54 AM | Reply

What changed?

#6 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-05 09:54 AM | Reply

Not commitment to hypocrisy, evidently.

#7 | Posted by Zed at 2017-12-05 09:58 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

And you hated it then, but love it now. What changed?

#6 | Posted by Danforth

I still hate it. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of our fellow leftist brethren who apparently didn't foresee the blowback when a radical right wing took charge. My statement was neutral. The political pendulum has been swinging wildly and I suspect its about to take a hard swing to the left. With all the promise this nation has before it, I see a nation in decline.

#8 | Posted by Daniel at 2017-12-05 11:52 AM | Reply

Oh not at all. We'll all get to read it. Its just, sometimes you have to pass things before you read them, you know, like in the old days. I have not read it but I'm sure there will be promises made that will not be delivered. I'm sure a democratic administration will set things right once they are in power, right?

#9 | Posted by Daniel at 2017-12-05 11:57 AM | Reply

"I still hate it."

Really? Where have you come out vigorously against it? All we've seen is Whataboutism as a deflection.

"My statement was neutral."

Yeah, right.

#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-05 12:12 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

I love it when the whataboutists compare this to ACA. ACA was passed over a 13 month period, within the normal rules of the senate, committee markups and debate and with 60 votes. Funny how the GOP cannot be bothered to follow the same procedures that they hold the Democrats to.

Just since the bill passed on Friday some of the very very stinky details are coming out such as exempting Betsy DeVoss's alma matter from the new tax on universities or a back door attempt to make abortion illegal.

Stink, stank, stunk.

#11 | Posted by 726 at 2017-12-05 12:42 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 5

Sounds like the way o'bummer care got thru.

#12 | Posted by Sniper at 2017-12-05 12:47 PM | Reply

When Rs have to pass something without a single hearing and with most of them having no clue what's in it you know that bill is a stinker.

#13 | Posted by SomebodyElse at 2017-12-05 12:48 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

And, during the 2009 recess, the Congress had some talks with the people about healthcare. The town hall meetings were then cancelled after town hall after town hall discussions involved the people telling their Congress critters what they thought of their healthcare idea. It blew up in their faces. Then, they passed the bill despite public outcry at the town halls.

This tax bill is like everything else out of Congress.
More spending, more taxing, but still not enough revenue to pay the bills.

#14 | Posted by Petrous at 2017-12-05 12:59 PM | Reply

Who gets the tax cuts?

The Senate bill in blue and white...

www.washingtonpost.com

Summary - by 2027, the top 0.6% will get over 60% of the tax cuts, while those in teh $20k to $40k range will be paying more taxes.

#15 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-05 01:01 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#9 | POSTED BY DANIEL

You mean like Obamacare which took a year to pass?

Maybe you should find your safe space where people can't correct your idiotic ideas.

#16 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-05 03:05 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY DANIEL

I don't remember the Dems having to HAND WRITE changes in the margins of the bill to get it passed...

#17 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-05 03:08 PM | Reply

#2 | POSTED BY DANIEL

Willing to take a huge hit financially just so he can claim his side one a battle. True partisan in our midst.

#18 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-12-05 03:19 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY DANIEL

Why wait? Why not hold those in power accountable right now? Your partisanship drips like honey; viscous.

#19 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-12-05 03:23 PM | Reply

Sounds like the way o'bummer care got thru.
#12 | POSTED BY SNIPER

And that's why you support it, right? HAHA! Hypocrite.

#20 | Posted by rstybeach11 at 2017-12-05 03:24 PM | Reply

#20 Forget it, snoops is in a fact free environment.

#21 | Posted by 726 at 2017-12-05 03:34 PM | Reply

#9 | POSTED BY DANIEL
#19 | POSTED BY RSTYBEACH11

Every knows laws and standards don't apply to Republicans.

#22 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-05 04:01 PM | Reply

Look, I think we just need to understand that Conservatives live in a fact free world where their disdain for Democrats is based entirely on personal prejudice rather than anything in the real world. They LIVE to be offended and pretend they are better than other people when in truth they keep themselves in safe spaces. And their entire reasoning process comes down to doing something terrible, claiming they aren't, and lying that the Democrats did it.

#23 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-05 04:10 PM | Reply

by 2027

Since it is 2017, I think we will all be okay, there will be a lot of water under that bridge in the next 10 years.

Go to the CBS Marketwatch thread and input your numbers, most of us will see that our taxes go down this year, even with SALT being eliminated.

#24 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-12-05 04:27 PM | Reply

"Look, I think we just need to understand that Liberals live in a fact free world where their disdain for the GOP is based entirely on personal prejudice rather than anything in the real world. They LIVE to be offended and pretend they are better than other people when in truth they keep themselves in safe spaces. And their entire reasoning process comes down to doing something terrible, claiming they aren't, and lying that the GOP did it."

See how easy that was...? I bet you will find that same paragraph on a conservative blog site right now.

#25 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-12-05 04:29 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

#25 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

First, Conservatives generally can barely type. So I doubt it.

Second, they do enjoy their safe spaces.

Third, unfortunately its true of Conservatives. They have their own media empire and claim everything else has a liberal bias. Facts have a liberal bias. Math has a liberal bias. Existence has a liberal bias. You just don't see Dems ignoring facts, math and science like you do in Republicans.

So yeah, pretty sure I'm right on this one.

#26 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-05 04:35 PM | Reply

First, Conservatives generally can barely type. So I doubt it.

I will put Babbles typing prowess up against CocoChiefSamIamVille any day.

Second, they do enjoy their safe spaces.

Sadly for you, the SJW morons invented safe spaces, not the Tea Party morons.

So its Fox vs. CNN/MSNBC/NBC/ABC/CBS/NYT/WashPo etc. Pretty sure that the media empire tilts left.

All of those things are bias neutral, how you see them goes towards your personal bias.

Too many Republicans dismiss climate change, that I will grant you. Too many Democrats ignore both micro and macro economics in their policy choices.

The point is, both partisans in both parties can make the exact same complaints against each other, which is a huge part of the problem.

#27 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-12-05 06:23 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

Sycophant continually gets beaten like a drum yet has the oddest sense of self superiority I've seen on the retort.
What a ------- ------.
Honestly, is there anything you've been right about yet while posting here? You are the fishpaw/babbles of the left. Nearly as ------- stupid as donnerboy or northguy, and that is the nicest thing I think I can say about you.

#28 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-12-05 07:04 PM | Reply

Also, if you're not a woman, you are the biggest ---- here.

#29 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-12-05 07:05 PM | Reply

If I were your husband I'd be Ike Turner.

#30 | Posted by 101Chairborne at 2017-12-05 07:11 PM | Reply

but if Pelosi does it- you are OK with it.... rolls eyes

---

All of these congress critters should have to read a bill(s) PRIOR to passing it. Common sense out the window once again.

#31 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2017-12-06 09:49 AM | Reply

First, Conservatives generally can barely type. So I doubt it.
Second, they do enjoy their safe spaces.
#26 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-12-05 04:35 PM

This very site, and the fact that you are having conversations with conservatives, puts the lie to your 2nd statement. This is a liberal leaning site. It is in NO way a safe space for conservatives, yet here we are, discussing, educating, learning and teaching. The first statement is just weak. You really should be able to perform better.

#32 | Posted by Avigdore at 2017-12-06 02:03 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

"It is in NO way a safe space for conservatives"

There is no plonk feature anymore?

This is a safe space for just about anyone except global warming deniers and people who don't rewind their VHS tapes before returning them.

#33 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-12-06 02:07 PM | Reply

~ We need to pass a bill, any bill. It does not matter what is in the bill. All that matters is that we pass a bill to show we can govern and continue to rake in donations. ~

#34 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-06 11:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

@#32 ... This is a liberal leaning site. It is in NO way a safe space for conservatives ...

I disagree.

"Liberal leaning" does not mean, as your message implies, toxic for conservatives.

It merely means that those who express differing opinions may have to go to an additional paragraph to justify their viewpoint.

You seem to conflate the meaning of "safe space" with "bubble."

If you think a "safe space" is one where you only see opinions with which you agree, i.e., a bubble, then I'd agree with your comment.

But I do not think that is the opinion you truly hold.

#35 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-07 12:22 AM | Reply

Blow back from what? The ACA nor any other bill passed in the Obama years was this quick or with hand written amendments in the margins.

You've been HAD. H. A. D. HAD.

If you learn nothing else, learn that if the GOP makes a bunch of noise about someone else doing something, they are doing it or plan on doing it.

Stop being an ignorant rube.

#8 | POSTED BY DANIEL

Your statement is stupid and a symptom of what's killing this country; a significant proportion of the citizenry willing to believe easily falsified crap from supposed "news" outlets that accurately describe their own behavior as the behavior of the "dems" or "liberals".

Stop being such a sheep and you'll realize that YOU are part of the problem when it comes to the decline of the US.

It's harsh, but it's true. Sorry.

#36 | Posted by jpw at 2017-12-07 12:54 AM | Reply

Sounds like the way o'bummer care got thru.

#12 | POSTED BY SNIPER

Oh look. The DR's Brainless -------- mascot weighs in.

If you could convince me beyond all doubt that you don't vote I'd find your posts humorous.

#37 | Posted by jpw at 2017-12-07 12:56 AM | Reply

#25 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

God we need a -------- flag.

Because this post staaaaaaaaanks.

#38 | Posted by jpw at 2017-12-07 12:59 AM | Reply

Except Faux News is 95% -------- and the rest are at best 50% --------.

Face it, right wing media exists for no other reason than to distort reality for the GOP and its donors. That they occasionally get something right does nothing to mitigate the overwhelming crap cascade they shart out the rest of the time.

Well gee, maybe because economics is largely soft science --------?

Besides, most righties still posit trickle down works, which means they clearly ignore economics in their policy choices as well. So your point is... *ahem*... moot.

#39 | Posted by jpw at 2017-12-07 01:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Because this post staaaaaaaaanks.

#38 | POSTED BY JPW

I think it was spot-on.

#40 | Posted by JeffJ at 2017-12-07 01:07 AM | Reply

@#12 ... o'bummer ...

I thought I had seen a comment of yours in which you chastised a person for saying "Trump" instead of "President Trump," i.e., you said that the person should refer to the President as President Trump, not Trump.

So why do you seem to consistently cheapen the Office of the President in the manner you do?

#41 | Posted by lamplighter at 2017-12-07 01:24 AM | Reply

#40 | POSTED BY JEFFJ

A person who cheats on a committed partner is often times simultaneously a jealous, distrustful person. In order for one to justify their act, they must normalize it. The by-product of normalizing their behavior is the idea that if I am able to commit such any act, surely he (she) is capable or more likely than not to commit the same act.

Now would both partners in this relationship be equally culpable?

#42 | Posted by memyselfini at 2017-12-07 02:15 AM | Reply

The faulty memories around here simply amaze me.

Sniper, Daniel, anyone I missed? - Obamacare was openly developed and debated for months. There was SOME closed door negotiation but that's kind of typical of any big bill. It was there for MONTHS. 18 I believe is the number that strikes me as how many MONTHS people had to read, debate and change the bill. Lest we forget this was essentially ROMNEYcare that Mitt and Co. enacted in Mass... It was developed by a Republican Think Tank. Probably why there are so many issues with it. Bottom line is at the time something had to be done about MedicalCare in the US and what passed was NOT perfect but a STEP... The partisanship and dare I say racism of the right kicked in as the vote approached. Go back to post 4 and read the links 726 shared with you.

Now that the "whatboutism" deflection is spelled out as BS... Let's look at the GOP style governing. They promised to be better. They promised openness. So let's take a handful or two of bought and paid for Republicans in a locked room, write a massive law with massive impact, walk out of the room and call for a vote. No open debate. No time to consider what is in the law. The law is loaded with benefits for the rich and a big screw you for the middle class and poor. Wow that sounds a lot like Russian Rubber Stamp governing.

#43 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-12-07 09:21 AM | Reply

Ryan and McConnell undermined the integrity of the legislative process by banning public hearings on this tax legislation in the House and Senate. In doing so, they denied the American people, including honest tax experts, the opportunity to adequately examine these dangerous proposals, especially the huge giveaways to multinational corporations at the expense of working class families. No Congress has ever gone this far.
Faced with such hyper-partisan foul play, the Democrats should have shut the Senate down with a sit-in until they were given a reasonable amount of time to read the dirty details.
1. The Senate bill widens the double standard of favoring corporations over individuals, with a top corporate tax rate of 20% compared to a highest tax rate of 38% for individuals.
2. The House bill retains business entertainment deductions for hard liquor but takes away deductions from teachers who use their own money to buy needed classroom materials for their students, along with taxing fellowships for graduate students.
3. The Senate bill repeals the individual mandate for buying health insurance, setting the stage for higher health insurance premiums.
4. The House bill repeals the medical expense deduction used by millions of ailing citizens. The Senate bill does not.
5. The House phases out the estate tax, while the Senate bill exempts more rich people from that tax.
6. There is a new tax on university and college endowments and tax breaks for parents to send their elementary students to private schools.
It is time for a voter's revolt!
Tell your members of Congress there is still time to reject the Republican attack on the working class. A shift of just two more votes in the senate (Senators McCain, Collins and Flake?) will defeat the existing legislation.

Ralph Nader

#44 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-12-07 02:31 PM | Reply

"Republican: Ram Tax Bill Through 'As Quickly as Possible'"

Still slower than the Democrats Tax Bill (aka...Obamacare Tax Bill). And at least those voting on it and the public get to read it first.

#45 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-12-08 01:04 PM | Reply

"Still slower than the Democrats Tax Bill (aka...Obamacare Tax Bill)." - #45 | Posted by bogey1355 at 2017-12-08 01:04 PM

When all you have are lies then lying's all you can do.

" And at least those voting on it and the public get to read it first."

When all you have are lies then lying's all you can do.

#46 | Posted by Hans at 2017-12-08 01:05 PM | Reply

#45 Let's see: is there anything truthful in that post? Just the quote:

"Republican: Ram Tax Bill Through 'As Quickly as Possible'"

#47 | Posted by Gal_Tuesday at 2017-12-08 01:07 PM | Reply

most of us will see that our taxes go down this year,

You're right, i'll see a cut of about $2,000. But i'm not a selfish, reckless idiot, so i still oppose the bill.

#48 | Posted by JOE at 2017-12-08 01:14 PM | Reply

"Still slower than the Democrats Tax Bill"

No, it wasn't.