Thursday, November 30, 2017

Jim Nabors, the singer and actor who became a TV icon in the 1960s playing the lovably naïve Gomer Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show and the spinoff series Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C., has died. He was 87. Nabors, who underwent a liver transplant after contracting hepatitis B in 1994, died Thursday at his home in Hawaii, his website announced. "Everybody knows he was a wonderful man. And that's all we can say about him," said Stan Cadwallader, who had been Nabors' partner for 38 years before the couple married in 2013. "He's going to be dearly missed."

Comments

RIP Gomer, Nabors was truly a talented man.

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-30 03:34 PM | Reply

Shazam!

www.youtube.com

Loved Gomer.... the face that never matched the voice.

Jim Nabors - Impossible Dream

www.youtube.com

Rest in Hawaii.

#2 | Posted by Corky at 2017-11-30 03:44 PM | Reply

Truly happy he loved long enough to be able to marry his soulmate.

#3 | Posted by gracieamazed at 2017-11-30 04:05 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

We've released him, we've let him go.

Shazam, Pyle.

#4 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-11-30 04:59 PM | Reply

Truly happy he loved long enough to be able to marry his soulmate.

Me too. The fact he was able to legally marry his partner of three decades in 2013 is nothing short of miraculous. Prior to 2004 I never expected gay marriage would become legal.

#5 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-30 05:19 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Well Gah-ah-ahhh-ly!

RIP

#6 | Posted by hatter5183 at 2017-11-30 05:26 PM | Reply

I've loved the Gomer Pyle character since I was a kid. It was a unique caricature schtick that happened to be his only charactor.

All of the characters from the original Andy Griffith series were a perfect storm for the writers of that show.

It's STILL good TV..

#7 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-30 05:30 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

To me, he will always be Fum

#8 | Posted by RevDarko at 2017-11-30 07:35 PM | Reply

#7> I agree. And if I'm not mistaken, I think this leaves Ron Howard (Opie) the only surviving cast member

#9 | Posted by shane at 2017-11-30 07:46 PM | Reply

We've still got Thelma Lou (Betty Lynn), Elinor Donahue (Ellie Walker), Maggie Mancuso (Charlene Darling), Jack Burns (Warren Ferguson) and Clint Howard (Leon).

#10 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-30 08:21 PM | Reply

Gomer: Marylou, can I stick my fanger in your belly button?

Marylou: why yes Gomer

Marylou: Gomer! that's not my belly button!

Gomer: Surprise surprise Marylou, that aint my fanger either...

#11 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-12-01 08:25 AM | Reply

I own all of his albums on vinyl...

#12 | Posted by AuntieSocial at 2017-12-01 12:36 PM | Reply

Galllolee

#13 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-12-01 03:09 PM | Reply

One thing about this man, I was always impressed when I heard his story and learned he was gay. He was lucky enough to have played a lovable character that perhaps helped insulate him to a degree from the hatred of the times.

However, on a personal level, he seemed to always put forth a positive attitude of strength and more importantly, belief in himself.

He was ahead of this times and a man among men.

#14 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-12-02 07:34 AM | Reply

Good singer.

#15 | Posted by Tor at 2017-12-02 09:24 PM | Reply

Here's the fun part. He is very beloved down here in his hometown in Bama. He always showed up and sang gospel songs.

People were able to completely ignore the fact that he was gay, even when it came out shortly after Rock Hudson's death. Then they would turn right around and try to make unconstitutional laws against gay people. I think that thought his gayness was just a 'show-business thing'.

The highway running through sylacauga is called Jim Nabors Highway. It has been so since i was a child.

#16 | Posted by kudzu at 2017-12-03 07:29 AM | Reply