Thursday, November 30, 2017

Let your eyes relax and a tea pot appears.

Comments

Omg. I actually see the teapot! I could never do the damn posters, but I guess it's easier on an iPhone. Or I'm better at relaxing now.

#1 | Posted by Snowfake at 2017-11-30 08:04 PM | Reply

Yeah I see the teapot on my stove. These are ridiculous. People are so gullible.

#2 | Posted by LauraMohr at 2017-11-30 08:06 PM | Reply

Um, there is no teapot.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-30 08:37 PM | Reply

No matter how long I look at these things, I just just can't see the illusion. All I see is the reality.

The only one that ever worked on me is this one: www.youtube.com

She seem to spin clockwise, but if you scroll down so you can only see her bottom half, the direction seems to reverse.

It's supposed to tell you if you are right or left brained.

#4 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-30 09:23 PM | Reply

Here's a a really good short video of illusions. I caught about half of them. The one that really threw me was the cube.

youtu.be

When I was a teenager I found the Rorschach test in a library book. My reactions where normal until the very last image, which to me looked like fairies dancing around a fire.

I showed it to friend page by page, and in several pages he saw demons.

#5 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-30 09:34 PM | Reply

Easy to see. I don't "relax" my eyes, though. I look past the image. In this case, look past and let the darker portion overlap another darker portion. The trick is not to look at the dark sections (or any other sections) but look past and let them overlap.

I do the same thing with wall-paper. You can always get a false depth image that way.

This one's pretty. I like the gentle grade up for the "ground" and the colorful sky coming down past the "hill" or the horizon with the teapot floating in space.

#6 | Posted by YAV at 2017-11-30 09:41 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I can see it. Then again I have practice with these as they're used in crystallography publications from time to time to give readers a 3D view of the protein.

#7 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-30 09:41 PM | Reply

I do the "relax the eyes" technique, and it pops out pretty fast.

The eyes go to a different focal lengths, hence the effect.

#8 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-30 11:22 PM | Reply

I thought this was going to be about Bertrand Russell's orbiting teapot.

#9 | Posted by grumpy_too at 2017-12-01 12:50 AM | Reply

"These are ridiculous. People are so gullible."

Not at all. If this were a scam, you wouldn't get completely different folks describing the exact same view every time.

You could ask 100 folks, and the ones who relax their eye-focus properly would all describe the same image.

#10 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-12-01 11:34 AM | Reply

@#6 ... Easy to see. I don't "relax" my eyes, though. I look past the image. ...

That's the key. You don't want your eyes to be looking directly at the image, but at a point in the distance past the image.

The image is set up to provide a 3D image like the ViewMasters did ( www.3dstereo.com ).

#11 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-01 11:44 AM | Reply

@#10 ... For example: it's a teapot, with the handle on the left, and the spout on the right. ...

What is also interesting, is that once the eyes "lock on" to the image, it is quite stable for me. I can move side to side and look around the sides of the teapot.

#12 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-12-01 11:48 AM | Reply