Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The growth of small farms has led to more fatalities because new hobbyist farmers don't always understand how dangerous the profession can be. Anesthesiologist Dan Jacobs died in 2015 on his Kentucky farm when a tractor rolled over on him ascending a hill. One-fourth of Indiana's 115 farm-related fatal accidents were on hobbyist farms, the state found. AP reports, "the nation's growing embrace of small-scale production of local and organic crops is drawing more amateurs into the field, and inexperienced growers are increasingly getting maimed and even killed, often by old, unsafe machinery. Experts say some novices have little appreciation of the occupation's dangers."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Though the number of farms in the U.S. has dropped for decades, small farms are increasing again to serve the demand for local produce and meats and organic foods at farmers markets and farm-to-table restaurants.

Comments

when a tractor rolled over on him ascending a hill

Was the tractor going up the hill or the farmer?

How does this even happen?

#1 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-29 09:12 AM | Reply

Go up the hill at the wrong angle, tractor rolls, you die. It's really easy, even easier on a tricycle front end.

#2 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-29 09:21 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 3

"Experts say some novices have little appreciation of the occupation's dangers."

Inexperience is going to be the number one hazard of people using farming implements. most of the small farms out where my place is are still using tractors 40-50 years old and doing it safely but they've been doing it all their life.

#3 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-11-29 09:23 AM | Reply

Oh yeah, duh on my account.

I was thinking he got run over by one of the wheels, I didn't think broadly enough for the tractor itself to roll.

#4 | Posted by jpw at 2017-11-29 09:39 AM | Reply

People generally underestimate how easy it is. You can flip on a 20 degree slope just driving along it sideways. If you go a little too fast you end up in a full power under-steer issue where the front end just stops responding and you plow forward as you come up to a turn.

I learned to drive a tractor in a Florida jr high school. It was a valuable life lesson. DO NOT DUMP THE CLUTCH.

#5 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-29 09:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Surprise, farming has always been about as dangerous as trades like fishing and mining. Animals are dangerous, power equipment is dangerous, working outside in the weather is dangerous. Tractors go "turtle", hay balers and feed grinders can easily take off an arm, a plow that cuts up the soil will do the same to one who falls off the back of a tractor. Animals in pens are prone to cause one serious injury, but a leading cause of death on the farm is lighting. Especially in the wide open plains.

#6 | Posted by docnjo at 2017-11-29 09:46 AM | Reply

"a leading cause of death on the farm is lighting."

Fresnells, or Lekos?

#7 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-29 09:48 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

DO NOT DUMP THE CLUTCH.

#5 | Posted by sitzkrieg

I was literally LMAO at that. Nope - don't dump the clutch.

I grew up around farming and logging equipment. I know I didn't have an appreciation for it like I should have when I was young. I mean my dad had a lumber and industrial wood products company and we had a lot of property (our Garden was about 3 acres...) my best friend's family farmed Christmas Trees. I cut and split wood every summer with my dad from about 8 until he passed. I drove a lot of old tractors - not the behemoths of today. I even got to run small bulldozers and tree farming equipment. I brush hogged, dragged trees, tilled and plowed. I wasn't allowed to bale hay (but I was expected to help haul it) and my dad never let me cut down the trees we used for firewood - universally they were dead trees and I get it since that is highly dangerous.

That said I did a lot of stupid stuff along with my buddies. I mean we were "kids" after all and looking back it was part boredom and part lack of appreciation. Somethings we knew and appreciated just how dangerous it was but others like say popping wheelies with high torque old tractors was some of our "fun". Things like hills though - we knew and appreciated the danger.

#8 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-11-29 10:39 AM | Reply

After seeing the headline I was surprised to find that the article wasn't talking about hipsters getting their porkpie hats caught in a thresher or that they died from a lightning strike from saying the word "ironic" incorrectly too often...

#9 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-29 11:28 AM | Reply

I admire people getting into small-scale farming, so I hate to see this. Some of the best vegetables we eat are bought from a family at the weekend farmer's market.

#10 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-29 11:31 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

This article was brought to you by Monsanto.

#11 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-29 11:43 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Strange, I thought the only dangerous profession was policing. You mean to say that people risk their lives to feed us too?

#12 | Posted by BruceBanner at 2017-11-29 12:13 PM | Reply

In the hills of Santa Cruz they dare not use big wheeled tipsy farm tractors. The smallest caterpillar tractors, model D1, safely navigate the apple orchards. They are reliable, but no longer manufactured, so parts are a specialty junkyard service.

#13 | Posted by bayviking at 2017-11-29 01:15 PM | Reply

#13 | Posted by bayviking

I operated an ancient D2. I never even heard of a D1 until now. So I googled it... Those are pretty much toys - garden tractor sized bulldozers.

#14 | Posted by GalaxiePete at 2017-11-29 02:02 PM | Reply

Why did he bother farming on an anesthesiologist's salary?

#15 | Posted by IndianaJones at 2017-11-29 04:09 PM | Reply

"Why did he bother farming on an anesthesiologist's salary?"

Anesthesiology keep putting him to sleep.

#16 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-29 04:11 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

Why did he bother farming on an anesthesiologist's salary?

#15 | POSTED BY INDIANAJONES AT 2017-11-29 04:09 PM | REPLY

The headline explains it, "hobbyist".

It's not uncommon for people with means to have weekend farms.

#17 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-29 05:56 PM | Reply

Sad to see legit farmers getting hit by these risks, clicked the link hoping it would involve gluten free tacos somehow.

#18 | Posted by LIVE_OR_DIE at 2017-11-30 11:51 AM | Reply

If it's a corn tortilla, as it should be, it's a gluten free taco.

#19 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-30 06:30 PM | Reply

Hobby farming is everyone's dream, isn't it?

Except for MadBomber, who wisely recognizes that any technology developed since the end of the last Ice Age hasn't really stood the test of time yet.

MadBomber dreams of being a hobby hunter/gatherer.

Oh how I do admire his Old School ways!

#20 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-30 07:04 PM | Reply

We've had 2 clients die in the past 4 years by their mowers rolling over on to them. And these guys were just mowing their large yards with big mowers. Years ago I had a customer's employee get killed by a flying object that had flown off a mower blade.

Mowers and tractors. Dangerous.

And anhydrous ammonia.....very dangerous.

#21 | Posted by eberly at 2017-11-30 07:37 PM | Reply