Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Facebook may soon ask you to "upload a photo of yourself that clearly shows your face," to prove you're not a bot.

The company is using a new kind of captcha to verify whether a user is a real person. According to a screenshot of the identity test shared on Twitter on Tuesday and verified by Facebook, the prompt says: "Please upload a photo of yourself that clearly shows your face. We'll check it and then permanently delete it from our servers."

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

In a statement to WIRED, a Facebook spokesperson said the photo test is intended to "help us catch suspicious activity at various points of interaction on the site, including creating an account, sending Friend requests, setting up ads payments, and creating or editing ads."

The process is automated, including identifying suspicious activity and checking the photo. To determine if the account is authentic, Facebook looks at whether the photo is unique. The Facebook spokesperson said the photo test is one of several methods, both automated and manual, used to detect suspicious activity.

Comments

To bad for humanity, but as as a helium breathing rat-like being from Nibiru in a man-suit, I won't have to worry about being part of their facial recognition database - all I have to do is wear a different person-mask.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-28 11:47 PM | Reply

So what?

#2 | Posted by memyselfini at 2017-11-29 01:54 AM | Reply

Guess what? I've learned that my life is better without Facebook. Them asking for a photo of my face? Anyone who would comply with that is a fool.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-29 09:45 AM | Reply

My older brother, who predicted the eavesdropping years before it became public, said if the NSA were inventing perfect ways to snoop, they couldn't have picked a better method than FB.

Tag your friends!
Check in!
Let us know who your cohorts are!

------ worldwide are celebrating.

#4 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-29 09:47 AM | Reply

... then permanently delete it from our servers ...

Meaningless.

Once they have the clear picture, they've gathered all the facial recognition data they need from it. Keeping the photo would be extra work for them, so they make it sound like they are doing you a favor by promising to delete it.

#5 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-29 10:10 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I have friends and relatives who always ask why I won't do facebook with them, I just roll my eyes.

#6 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-29 10:25 AM | Reply

What is the fear that some of you associate with this? This is an attempt to prevent fraud on their freely provided platform. People complain of misinformation and fake accounts on Facebook misleading our populace, and that Facebook should do more to prevent it. This is an attempt to limit that.

I understand if one would choose to not to participate on Facebook, but why the nefarious implication.

#7 | Posted by memyselfini at 2017-11-30 01:05 AM | Reply