Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Stephen Crowder found out the ideological bent of Alexa with a series of probing questions.

CROWDER: Alexa, who is the prophet Muhammad?

ALEXA: The prophet Muhammad is very wise prophet. He taught many people how to live. He had a wife called Aisha. He lived in Saudi Arabia. The message that he gave to the people is: "Pray to Allah; he is the only god," and he gave the holy [Quran]."

CROWDER: Okay, Alexa, who is the Lord Jesus Christ?

ALEXA: Jesus Christ is a fictional character.

[Note: a question about "Jesus Christ" merely called him the "Central figure in Christianity."]

Comments

I'm calling --------.

I just asked my Alexa who Muhammad is.

Her response, "Muhammad is the prophet and founder of Islam." Nothing more.

#1 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-28 09:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Mustang, you will truly believe anything.

#2 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-28 09:26 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My question is: why in the world would anyone want an open microphone in their house?

#3 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-28 09:33 AM | Reply

Ah, Crowder. Good for laughs, I'll give him that.

#4 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-11-28 09:34 AM | Reply

#1 As I pointed out in the note, a slight variation in wording yields different answers. Use "prophet Muhammed" instead of just Muhammed. The part that caught my eye was the editorializing. Did you try any of the other questions?

#5 | Posted by MUSTANG at 2017-11-28 09:44 AM | Reply

I have the Google Home and my parents have Alexa. Both will actually "learn" facts you teach them, for example, you can tell them "Jesus Christ is a fictional character" and it will learn that is the fact you want it to know, so, when you ask it "Who is the lord Jesus Christ", it will spout back what you taught it. Under normal circumstances, they will get their information from Wikipedia and will identify it as such, however, if you ask them a question that isn't covered on a standard web search, and you haven't "taught" them the answer, you get "I'm sorry, I don't understand".

#6 | Posted by RevDarko at 2017-11-28 09:55 AM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY MUSTANG

I tried a couple different ways. Same answer.

You can rig it to answer different ways though. That's what they did.

#7 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-28 10:27 AM | Reply

I own an Alexa. I'm not aware of any way to make it "learn" facts you tell it.

#8 | Posted by rcade at 2017-11-28 10:28 AM | Reply

The answers Crowder got about Jesus contradict Islamic teachings about Jesus. They view him as a prophet who actually lived previous to Muhammad. Alexa needs more religious training.

#9 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-28 10:35 AM | Reply

Does Alexa wear a burka?

#10 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-28 10:35 AM | Reply

Yes she does, mine is covered in black cloth.

#11 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-11-28 10:53 AM | Reply | Funny: 1

I tried this with Siri a few minutes ago...nothing unusual.

And I don't think Jesus is a fictional character anyway. It seems odd that this would be a programmed or learned response.

#12 | Posted by madbomber at 2017-11-28 11:43 AM | Reply

I own an Alexa. I'm not aware of any way to make it "learn" facts you tell it.

#8 | POSTED BY RCADE AT 2017-11-28 10:28 AM | FLAG:

It's an SDK. You & I could code it in a few hours.

#13 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-28 02:37 PM | Reply

Here's how to do this. If you can code, you can figure out how to circumvent the certification process, it's a joke.

#14 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-28 02:41 PM | Reply

I don't see any node.js books by RCADE.

#15 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-11-28 03:46 PM | Reply