Thursday, November 23, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving! You're about to enjoy one of the most wonderful meals of the year with family and friends. And you're probably looking forward to a plate full of food that you, or someone you care about, spent a lot of time preparing. Or maybe they ordered it from a caterer. That's fine, we don't judge. As you give thanks for the bounty of this meal and the company you share it with, spend some time thinking about some of the scientific facts that made your meal possible. Biology. Chemistry. Physics. It's all there on your plate. Here are some things we've learned about your Thanksgiving meal.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Here's a nice slice of pumpkin pie. We baked it ourselves.

Instead of the whipped topping, we'll offer you this fact: your dessert is the product of an evolutionary quirk that transpired some 100 million years ago.

Pumpkins, along with their cucurbitaceae family members like squash, watermelons and cucumbers, were born when the genome of a melon-like fruit duplicated itself. As we explained a couple of months ago in this article, this act of duplication set off a course of adaptations to environmental changes. Millions of years later, the descendants of that fruit ended up in a can that was pried open, poured in a pie crust and baked with love so you'd have something delicious to finish your meal.

Comments

Don't like pumpkin pie. Never have. All of my life I was force fed pumpkin pie every Thanksgiving. "Just try this one, it's different." "Granny made this one, you don't want to hurt her feelings, do you?"
Then one day it hit me, you're an adult, you don't have to eat it if you don't want to.
So if you like pumpkin pie you can have my slice.

#1 | Posted by Whizzo at 2017-11-23 12:09 PM | Reply

#1 | POSTED BY WHIZZO

Wow. so you're the one that refused Granny's pumpkin pie.

damn, bro.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-23 12:34 PM | Reply | Funny: 2

I have recently discussed mince meat pie with adults who actually thought there was the meat of a mince in the pie. When I explained that it is really apples, raisins, nuts they acted as if I was lying to them. Many children refuse to eat mince meat pie for similar reasons, that's fine, more for me.

#3 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-23 12:38 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY DANNI AT 2017-11-23 12:38 PM | FLAG: Mince Meat Pie [was grandmother's specialty] a staple in our holidays in Pennsylvania. Found over the years that it's mostly unknown in most areas [Shoofly pie also relatively unknown].

#4 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-11-23 12:47 PM | Reply

But... science is so wordy! Blah blah genome blah blah environment blah blah blah.

They could have said all that in one easy to understand sentence with none of that awful thinking required.

God made pumpkins for Man to enjoy so we could thank Him for the wonderous bounty of nature.

See? Now was that so hard?

#5 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-11-23 12:47 PM | Reply

Been watching the Great British Baking Show lately and it just blows my mind how many different meat pies they have. Pies with actual meat in them WTF.

Whizzo yeah I'm with you on the pumpkin pie issue. Frankly pumpkin in general is gross. It's great for carving on Halloween any other use for pumpkin is just eww.

#6 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-11-23 12:51 PM | Reply

God made pumpkins to keep folks from starving in the dead of winter. They keep very well. They didn't need to taste good.

#7 | Posted by bruceaz at 2017-11-23 01:06 PM | Reply

"Mince Meat Pie [was grandmother's specialty] a staple in our holidays in Pennsylvania."

Interesting, my father's family came from Pennsylvania and my mom, a Florida gal, learned to make it with his mom.

#8 | Posted by danni at 2017-11-23 02:16 PM | Reply

DANNI; It's that good old Pennsylvania Dutch influence. By Grandmother, bless her, to the day she died would say 'outten the lights' [turn off the lights], 'get into the machine' [get into the car], etc.

#9 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-11-23 02:37 PM | Reply

Addendum for you DANNI, my Grandmother also would add some whiskey to her mince meat pie before baking which added a little to the flavor.

#10 | Posted by MSgt at 2017-11-23 02:39 PM | Reply

#3 | POSTED BY DANNI

As a kid, I loved mince meat pie. Then the manufacturers changed the recipe into crap laced with high fructose corn syrup. Today it's imitation food.

#11 | Posted by Ray at 2017-11-24 03:10 PM | Reply

#11 | POSTED BY RAY

That's a lie. Corporations wouldn't do that, Ray. They care deeply about you and your health needs. That's why they don't need those pesky job regulations as you Conservatives always say.

#12 | Posted by Sycophant at 2017-11-24 03:51 PM | Reply

#12 | POSTED BY SYCOPHANT

You need to wake up out of your deep sleep.

Regulations don't protect the public. They protect corporations. Corporations are non-partisans. They buy off both sides.

PS. I have nothing to do with conservatives. My DR home page says anarchist.

#13 | Posted by Ray at 2017-11-24 04:01 PM | Reply