Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Do: Sit in a chair, feet flat on the ground, legs uncrossed, with your back supported and without talking, for at least five minutes before you get your blood pressure measured.
Don't: Exercise, consume caffeine or smoke within 30 minutes of your test.
Do: Empty your bladder before your blood pressure is taken.
Don't: Sit or lie on the exam table. Whelton says that can result in a falsely low blood pressure reading.
Do: Roll up your sleeve so the blood pressure cuff rests on bare skin, not clothing.
Don't: Let your arm dangle or rest in your lap during the reading. It should be supported on a surface such as a desk.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

I figure at least half the DR has High Blood Pressure so here's some help...

Comments

And if you buy a battery powered kit to test at home, make sure you take it with you to your next appointment so you can see the difference between what you are seeing and what the doctor is getting. Mine had a big difference.

#1 | Posted by lfthndthrds at 2017-11-21 01:58 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

My doctor's office apparently takes my blood pressure correctly.

#2 | Posted by LampLighter at 2017-11-21 03:04 PM | Reply

never had anyone tell me or request the 2nd and 3rd lines.
on the 1st one, nobody ever told me sit back -- it says "with ... back supported".

thanks

#3 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-11-21 05:20 PM | Reply

At the last checkup, my blood pressure was slightly higher in one arm, than it was in the other arm... pretty weird.
I was inspired to check after a friend told me about his differing scores. It probably highlights an inaccuracy in the test.

#4 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-11-21 07:34 PM | Reply

#4 simultaneously? ...you may have to be quarantined.

#5 | Posted by ichiro at 2017-11-21 09:55 PM | Reply

All correct advice Pinky.

However. You are actually supposed to take three measurements and then take the average. My machine actually has a setting that does that automatically. One check can be misleading. The average of three consecutive checks is way more accurate.

#6 | Posted by donnerboy at 2017-11-22 08:55 AM | Reply