Monday, November 20, 2017

Michigan Rep. John Conyers, a Democrat and the longest-serving member of the House of Representatives, settled a wrongful dismissal complaint in 2015 with a former employee who alleged she was fired because she would not "succumb to [his] sexual advances."

Documents from the complaint obtained by BuzzFeed News include four signed affidavits, three of which are notarized, from former staff members who allege that Conyers, the ranking Democrat on the powerful House Judiciary Committee, repeatedly made sexual advances to female staff that included requests for sexual favors, contacting and transporting other women with whom they believed Conyers was having affairs, caressing their hands sexually, and rubbing their legs and backs in public. Four people involved with the case verified the documents are authentic.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

And the documents also reveal the secret mechanism by which Congress has kept an unknown number of sexual harassment allegations secret: A grinding, closely held process that left the alleged victim feeling, she told BuzzFeed News, that she had no option other than to stay quiet and accept a settlement offered to her.

Last week the Washington Post reported that the Congressional Office of Complaince paid out $17 million for 264 settlements with federal employees over 20 years for various violations, including sexual harassment. The Conyers documents, however, give a glimpse into the inner workings of the Office of Compliance, which has for decades concealed episodes of sexual abuse by powerful political figures.

Comments

If the Office of Compliance is forced to open its books, the lid is officially off...

#1 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-20 10:25 PM | Reply

Good... let the SHTF for once.

#2 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-20 10:59 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Agreed. These pols have been condemning those who get caught while doing the same things, or worse at the same time.

The creeps need to be outed once and for all, and that includes our current POTUS.

#3 | Posted by Rightocenter at 2017-11-20 11:09 PM | Reply

Why no CenterLeft support?

#3 | POSTED BY RIGHTOCENTER

Please, the Federal Government hasn't spent tax dollars on Trumps faux paux.

Congress paid out $17 million in settlements. Here's why we know so little about that money.
www.cnn.com

#4 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-11-20 11:28 PM | Reply

"Congress paid out $17 million in settlements."

Since its inception in 1995. Average ~$800K/year.

#5 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-20 11:43 PM | Reply

#5 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Oh I guess sexual harassment by the most powerful men is OK then.

My bad ... tell me again how you are for women.... ...

#6 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-11-20 11:47 PM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Please, the Federal Government hasn't spent tax dollars on Trumps faux paux.

Depends on how you define faux paux. Tax dollars have been spent defending his constitutional and administrative ignorance all over the country. He lost yet another one today. www.drudge.com And I saw that he's been sued over the big game trophy flip flop. www.courthousenews.com

#7 | Posted by et_al at 2017-11-20 11:52 PM | Reply

"Oh I guess sexual harassment by the most powerful men is OK then."

I never said or suggested that. I merely did math.

"My bad ... tell me again how you are for women...."

I believe they should know the whole truth, not just cherry-picked parts, especially when the missing information might have been purposefully omitted.

What say you? Why did you omit the timeline?

#8 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-21 12:01 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Why did you omit the timeline?
#8 | POSTED BY DANFORTH

Does it matter? Do you know who the sexual predators are, which is the point? Why don't we know?

Again your literalism gets lost, when the real problem goes unscathed, good thing I am here.

Let me know when you actually care, instead of playing word games.

#10 | Posted by AndreaMackris at 2017-11-21 12:17 AM | Reply

"But its nothing right, just womens lives ruined paid in cash, a taxpayer hush fund ... who cares right?"

Standard M.O. for Trump.
You voted for Trump.
Tell us more how much you care.

#11 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-21 12:29 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

-Rape coddling

Still with the lying... oh, wait... "lawyer". Never mind, it's expected.

You use that term "rape" to refer to unproved allegations against Bill Clinton, and are still greasy/slimy enough to keep applying it to me when no such thing has ever been proven... in either case.

SO, just more garbage from the Waste Management of the DR.

#13 | Posted by Corky at 2017-11-21 12:42 AM | Reply

"Does it matter?"

That they've paid out less in 22 years than O'Reilly has in the last year? No, not at all.

That's twice you've said creepy things and tried to put them in my mouth. Project much?

#14 | Posted by Danforth at 2017-11-21 12:48 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 2

Women's lives ruined? Help me to my fainting couch. I believe I'm having a touch of the vapors.

#15 | Posted by visitor_ at 2017-11-21 04:50 PM | Reply