Sunday, November 19, 2017

Barbie's breaking barriers! Ibtihaj Muhammad was the first-ever U.S. Olympic athlete to compete wearing a hijab at the 2016 Rio Olympic games. And now she has her very own Barbie -- the first to ever wear a hijab in the brand's 58-year history. A one-of-a-kind doll made in her likeness was unveiled at Glamour's Women of the Year Live Summit Monday, as the latest doll in Barbie's "Shero" line (that would be female heroes), a program that celebrates boundary-breaking women intended to inspire the next generation.

Comments

Being an Olympian is a major accomplishment but I don't understand why she is seen as a barrier breaker because she's the first to compete wearing a certain article of clothing. Any other Olympian whose performance would not be hindered could have done this- especially fencers because they cover their heads anyway. Seems like a desperate stretch in trying to come up with a marketable "pioneer". The barrier was largely imaginary.

I guess all that matters as far ass the toy goes is that kids or collectors like it. I just don't like the calculating, manipulative marketing behind it.

#1 | Posted by Sully at 2017-11-20 10:05 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

Marketing vehicle markets things? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you.

#2 | Posted by sitzkrieg at 2017-11-20 10:33 AM | Reply

Hijab Barbie doesn't get a pink Corvette. She gets a pink rock, perfect for infidel's faces who think she should have a pink Corvette.

#3 | Posted by Ben_Berkkake at 2017-11-20 10:34 AM | Reply

Hijab Barbie is blowing up on Instagram!

#4 | Posted by snoofy at 2017-11-20 02:13 PM | Reply | Funny: 1

#1 | POSTED BY SULLY
"I just don't like the calculating, manipulative marketing behind it."

I don't like the calculating, manipulative marketing behind...marketing.

#5 | Posted by TheTom at 2017-11-21 11:43 AM | Reply

I looked at the picture.

You can tell me the sword Barbie is holding is for the Olympics all you want.

But considering Islam's history, I do find it a bit creepy.

Personally, I must say I see it as thinly veiled passive aggressive behavior.

#6 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-21 03:53 PM | Reply

I understand fencing is her sport, but they might could have made it clearer the Barbie is associated with the Olympics or just made the doll with the Islam clothing for women in her likeness.

Maybe just a culture thing.

Perhaps Muslim countries might like their little girls playing with sword swinging dolls.

You can say it's their religion or her sport but still just creepy.

Not the good idea for promoting a positive image.

#7 | Posted by BillJohnson at 2017-11-21 04:11 PM | Reply