Sunday, November 19, 2017

(CNN)A missing Argentine submarine attempted to contact naval bases via satellite seven times, but communication with the vessel was not established, the nation's defense ministry said.

The calls came to different bases between 10:52 a.m. and 3:42 p.m. Saturday, and lasted between four and 36 seconds, the ministry said in a statement to CNN en Español.

"We received seven satellite calls that likely came from the submarine San Juan. We are working hard to locate it. To the families of the 44 crew members: we hope you'll have them home soon," Argentina's Defense Minister Oscar Aguad tweeted.

The military is working with a US company that specializes in satellite communication to determine the location of the submarine that vanished three days ago.

Comments

Argentina has submarines? I guess after the Belgrano got torpedoed they learned their lesson?

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-19 09:33 AM | Reply

Well, a significant portion of their German immigrants were active in the Kriegsmarine...

#2 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-19 10:02 AM | Reply

A nightmare situation... if it were me, I would hope for the sub to lose positive control and fall off a continental shelf for the insta-death of deep pressure rather than a slow one of fire/engineering casualties and drowning.

#3 | Posted by GOnoles92 at 2017-11-19 10:20 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I would hope for it to surface, but to each his own.

#4 | Posted by REDIAL at 2017-11-19 10:45 AM | Reply | Newsworthy 1

I'm ready for another good sub movie.

#5 | Posted by SheepleSchism at 2017-11-19 01:13 PM | Reply

Todas tus base están nos pertenecen.

#6 | Posted by madscientist at 2017-11-20 07:28 PM | Reply