Sunday, November 19, 2017

Owning a dog can slash the risk of premature death by a third, according to new research.

A landmark study of more than 3.4 million older people found Britain's favourite pet reduces the likelihood of heart disease and combats loneliness.

Those living alone were 33 percent less likely to die over the next 12 years if they owned a dog.

The biggest impact was seen on cardiovascular disease, the world's biggest killer, with dog ownership reducing mortality rates by 36 percent.

Alternate links: Google News | Twitter

Scientists said the companionship was key, along with the physical activity in taking the dog for a walk.

Hunting breeds such as Golden Retrievers, Irish Setters and Beagles achieved the best results.

Senior author Professor Tove Fall, from Uppsala University in Sweden, said single owners may walk their dog more and have increased interaction compared to members of a family.

He said research has long associated dog ownership with good health but this was 100 times bigger than any previous study of its kind.

But as it was an observational study it does not prove dogs prevent cardiovascular disease or how it may happen.

Comments

Yeah, I guess I don't walk my cat that much.

#1 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-19 07:35 AM | Reply

I tried to walk my cat once I wasn't a pretty sight afterwards. I used to have a cat that I had a little harness for and she would go out in it. We didn't walk so much as give her a chance to sniff nature.

I have a fenced back yard so I don't have to walk my dog either.

The hamster and rabbit and lizards all are useless for exercise.

#2 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-11-19 07:50 AM | Reply

#2 Mine is an out-door cat. I only let him inside if it's freezing. He catches about one bird a week, and (unfortunately) munches down on my garden lizards. A lot.

I live about three hundred yards from the city limits, and I planted trees and bushes for privacy instead of building a giant fence in my back yard, through both my side neighbors put up privacy fences. The alleyway behind my house is actually an unpaved culvert-type stream, so forest life of all kinds visits me at night. There is a raccoon that regularly visits looking for uneaten cat-food. For a little while, there was skunk living under my back porch.

#3 | Posted by HeliumRat at 2017-11-19 08:08 AM | Reply

We used to have 2 outdoor cats but they both passed away a couple years ago the new cat came from a shelter that makes you promise that it will be an indoor cat and you have to agree never to declaw it. No problem on the last I wouldn't dream of declawing a cat.

My neighborhood was just inside the city limits when it was built in the 70's so now it's way inside the city limits but the wooded areas still exist we get deer, foxes etc. around. There is a pretty large stream that runs between my neighborhood and the next which makes it undeveloped. So we have a nice green way right behind our house.

I kind of love our location we are in the city and close to everything but with a real out in the woods vibe.

#4 | Posted by TaoWarrior at 2017-11-19 08:48 AM | Reply

I heard Jim Rome tell a story once where his sister took the family cat for a walk on a leash. Cat got away and ran up a tree and hung itself. Fairly tragic, but the way he told it was pretty funny. I remember sitting in traffic thinking wtf?

#5 | Posted by JimDuncan at 2017-11-20 01:08 PM | Reply

"Yeah, I guess I don't walk my cat that much."

#1 | POSTED BY HELIUMRAT

According to this guy, Dog owners live 5 times longer than just cat owners.

See video: